The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks working on one of Landeskog or Marleau

Type R

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Remember when Bieksa, all 5'11 1/2, 190lbs dripping wet - speed bagged Mareau into oblivion?  That was funny given the size difference.  NO way to Marleau, Yes if we were talking Palvelski or Couture.   Tanev for Landeskog is would be ok...Tanev for Edler would be awesome.  For your viewing pleasure.

What the?

56 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

What you guys fail to realize is if GL was being traded there are teams with much more to offer than we do. That alone kills this cr-p stone dead in the water.

So Explain the hall larsson deal. Many teams had à lot more to offer, but they Took larsson Even though they could of had much more.

Quote "Several sources have stated that the youngster and the Avs' are at odds, surprisingly considering the 23-year-old is the team captain, but it now appears the front office in Colorado would like to add more experience to their front line, a move that can help them win more hockey games in 2016-17."

The author then goes on to say that the Canucks could offer up Tanev.  News flash!  He's not front line.  The Canucks don't have front line talent to offer other than Eriksson lol.

Seriously, Landeskog would be great but what do the Canucks have to offer that wouldn't mean dismantling something pretty important like their newly acquired defense.  Pass.

Marlowe would be fine for a year but he's got 1 year left at $6.6M.  How do you shoe-horn that into your line up?  C'mon.

I'm convinced the Canucks are going with what they've got.  Unless a sweetheart deal comes out of the wood work.

7 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

So Explain the hall larsson deal. Many teams had à lot more to offer, but they Took larsson Even though they could of had much more.

Friedman provided some additional explanations to his recent feature on the trade.  

Transcript via today's slapshot: http://www.todaysslapshot.com/nichols-notes/friedman-shares-insight-23-minutes-offering/

“When it comes to Edmonton, I look at it this way. I think it’s part of something. You’re not going to look at a hockey deal and say the Oilers win it getting Adam Larsson for Taylor Hall. But what you are going to say is this – Edmonton has a ton of high-skilled forwards. They have Connor McDavid, who soon could be the best player in the league. They have Eberle. They have Nugent-Hopkins. They have Puljujarvi, who they just drafted. They have Draisaitl, who had a huge finish to last year. They were in a position of excess up front, and they needed defensemen. Peter Chiarelli did everything he could to get a defender, and it became pretty obvious Jordan Eberle wasn’t going to get him that guy. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins was not going to get him that guy. He didn’t want to trade Draisaitl. Hall became the guy.

“And if they improve as a team, and Larsson plays a role in that – and with the extra cap money they got out of the deal they’re able to do other things – I don’t think people are going to look at it and say, ‘Boy, that was that bad.’

“I think in Edmonton it’s part of a package. In New Jersey you look at it and say, ‘We got a player that we just didn’t have.’ One-for-one, you’re saying it’s a Devils deal. Overall though, if Edmonton improves, I don’t think this deal is going to be viewed that badly in history.”

Friedman reiterated how he believes Chiarelli scoured the market for available defensemen.

“I think he looked at everybody… They were trying for Kevin Shattenkirk, for example,” noted Friedman. “And you’re not going to trade a guy with term for a guy who could leave in a year. They tried for Justin Faulk. They tried for Tyson Barrie, who at the time didn’t have a lot of term left. I think they tried for a lot of other guys too. They were talking Nugent-Hopkins for Matt Dumba, and Minnesota wanted more, and they were like, ‘No, we’re not doing that.’

“I think you make a key point there, and that is at the end they realized that Taylor Hall was the guy they were going to have to give up and Adam Larsson is a guy with term. And that came down to being the best deal.

“One of the other things that’s been written there that I think people have really parsed to see what does it mean was a couple of Oilers players told me that Taylor Hall was a dominant (Type A) personality. I think in Edmonton they kind of looked at it and said, ‘We want this to be Connor McDavid’s team. Is that going to happen while Taylor Hall is here.’ And I think they looked it and they said it may not, and that’s another reason they made the move.

7 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Quote "Several sources have stated that the youngster and the Avs' are at odds, surprisingly considering the 23-year-old is the team captain, but it now appears the front office in Colorado would like to add more experience to their front line, a move that can help them win more hockey games in 2016-17."

The author then goes on to say that the Canucks could offer up Tanev.  News flash!  He's not front line.  The Canucks don't have front line talent to offer other than Eriksson lol.

Seriously, Landeskog would be great but what do the Canucks have to offer that wouldn't mean dismantling something pretty important like their newly acquired defense.  Pass.

Marlowe would be fine for a year but he's got 1 year left at $6.6M.  How do you shoe-horn that into your line up?  C'mon.

I'm convinced the Canucks are going with what they've got.  Unless a sweetheart deal comes out of the wood work.

While I agree with you that the article is logically incoherent, the notion of trading Landeskog for a package including Tanev isn't really ridiculous. I mean, the expectation that you can trade Landeskog and get better up front is a ludicrous one. If you were to get technical you could trade Landeskog for lets say Tanev + VIrtanen + 3rd, and then trade Tyson Barrie for more forward help, and I guess theoretically your defense would be different but no less deep and your forward lines are probably deeper but with less top end talent.

I don't think the people involved in these articles have even half the brainpower requires to think this way though.

Both teams are relatively close to the cap so a deal would be tough.

I have coveted Landeskog since he was drafted and before he stepped onto the NHL ice.

Having said that, even trading Tanev straight up would be tough as it just creates another hole in our lineup and an even more critical one.  There are many saying Gudbranson on a 2nd pairing is a stretch so throwing him on a 1st pairing would be a little scary.

Also, defencemen are in short supply in the league and come the expansion draft a top 4 guy is going to be worth his weight in gold since many teams will have one stripped from them with no replacement.  There is a reason over the hill decent defenders keep their jobs far longer than forwards of the same vintage.

If you want to trade Tanev, next offseason before the draft is the time to do it.  Not only will his worth be at an all time high, Juolevi will be a year closer to being an impact player.

Actually, if I were McPhee I would take as many D as the league will allow under the expansion rules and then trade away all the ones I don't need to other teams for huge returns.  That would immediately stock the prospects pool and get you a couple of top 6 forwards in return.

4 minutes ago, CaptainKool said:

I don't have any hope until it actually happens. I dunno why, is it just me or what, it seems rumors about good players coming to Vancouver never really happened.

It's just clickbait for one of the most active fanbases in terms of online presence. You need to have assets that are simultaneously expendable and valuable to make trades for valuable players. Realistically, our only such assets at the moment are Horvat and the kids and also Tanev. We seem unwilling to part with them, since it would be a step backwards, so we can't really expect a real trade to ever occur.

What a load of horse manure.

Marleau doesn't remotely make sense unless it's a cap dump and something like Burrows for Marleau. Even then, I'm not sure I'd do it.

Sakic has pretty much stated he wants to see what his current group can do with a new coach and has GL as a major/central part of that group's core.

We have too many 'ifs' to move Tanev at this point. If Hutton can continue where he left off and looks like a top 4 D. If Tryamkin looks like he could be a 2nd pair guy in the near future. If juolevi looks like he's close enough to be a consideration next season. If one of Stetcher/Subban looks close. If Brisebois continues to look like he might be ready in a year or two... Then maybe you start to look at moving Tanev next summer.

So even if COL/GL are actually at odds and most of our 'ifs' start looking like yeses, if there has been any discussion between GM's around a move like this, it's a far off in the future thing in all likelihood. Neither team is presently in position to make that trade IMO.

Several sources have stated that the youngster and the Avs' are at odds, surprisingly considering the 23-year-old is the team captain, but it now appears the front office in Colorado would like to add more experience to their front line, a move that can help them win more hockey games in 2016-17.

This article seems fishy. How would trading a consistent 20G scorer (who happens to be Captain) for more experience on the front line make sense?  He already plays on the first line? They have Iginla, just move him to the first line? 

The season needs to just start soon. Enough of the fabricated stories...

19 minutes ago, Aircool said:

It's just clickbait for one of the most active fanbases in terms of online presence. You need to have assets that are simultaneously expendable and valuable to make trades for valuable players. Realistically, our only such assets at the moment are Horvat and the kids and also Tanev. We seem unwilling to part with them, since it would be a step backwards, so we can't really expect a real trade to ever occur.

Very true. I think this summer has seen a tsunami of click bait (with emphasis on bait) for Canucks fans like none in recent history. Most of the articles have been absolute crap, mind you, but as you said, because the fanbase is so active online, the amount of suckers who will buy this crap grows exponentially.

As others have stated, I wouldn't doubt for a second that the majority of bloggers who "write" about the Canucks visit the CDC to determine, not only what to write about, but steal a fair bit of verbiage from many here.

4 minutes ago, gizmo2337 said:

This article seems fishy. How would trading a consistent 20G scorer (who happens to be Captain) for more experience on the front line make sense?  He already plays on the first line? They have Iginla, just move him to the first line? 

The season needs to just start soon. Enough of the fabricated stories...

While it is wishful thinking, I highly doubt these fabricated, toilet roll specials will stop being published on the likes of The Hockey News, Bleacher Report, or Hockey Buzz because the season has started.

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

What the?

I know. There is so much stupid in this thread, that I'm not sure if the place is filled with disneys "gas-cots" or the younger generation is just plain effed

*edit

canucktravella posted a good brain cell killa earlier . I feel stupider for having read that "less than cromulent" piece of garbage that should never have "embiggend" the world, ever

1 hour ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

It seems to me those who think this was beyond strange maybe don't know either player that well.

"Adam Larsson isn't chopped liver. He was the fourth overall pick of the 2011 draft. The Devils rushed him to the NHL at 18 and later regretted it. His confidence eroded and he wound up a healthy scratch in the 2012 Stanley Cup final that season. The Devils sent him down to AHL Albany for seasoning in 2013-14, and it seemed to help him. He's become a higher-impact player. He logged a career-best 22:30 per game in 2015-16, second on the Devils, and he played 3:20 shorthanded per contest. He was a top-pairing blueliner.

And it was no secret Edmonton needed to improve its defense. Larsson is 6-foot-3, 205 pounds, a right-handed shooter and just 23. He's inked for five more seasons at an affordable cap hit of $4,166,667. He's a legit minute muncher. His possession numbers were weak this season, but he didn't exactly have much support all over the ice on a barren Devils roster. He joins Andrej Sekera, Oscar Klefbom, Darnell Nurse and Brandon Davidson, not to mention someone from the Mark Fayne-Griffin Reinhart group, to make the Oilers' blueline much more respectable."

The guy can't even spell simple words like "Canuck" or "traveler " or even, heaven forbid a one syllable word like "year". 

And now he's some genius who will put Rodin on the second line, after trading for landeskog for tanev and Hansen. 

fook the zombie apocalypse and fook the idea that zombies eat our brains. The internet is doing that for them

*edit

and he has already edited that excrement, I'm assuming, to omit letters like "E" and "A" . Those bastages take up too many space and me want a good reed fer the uther peeple woo I want to reed mi ....uh....thing. Iz smrt

Archived