The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PTO] T.Ruutu (and Sheppard) confirmed with Vancouver

Visp

It's pretty clear that JB needs some size and grit in the line up. The Ruutu PTO is interesting. Does he know something that gives him hope for a rebound year, or is it just a possible ahl depth signing. .. 

Sheppard looks like a good one for #5 -6 centre but he needs a 2 way for sure!

1 hour ago, Virtanen#18 said:

What's the point??? Coz Higgins was making $2.5M?? Sheppard will take $700k and Ruutu will probably take $850k???

Money aside,  Ruutu THAT much better than Higgins? Yes Sheppard/Ruutu would make less if they even make it but I don't see the need for Ruutu.

Maybe read carefully next time and you'll know my point.

Higgins was removed because he was getting older, we wanted to get younger and better. Ruutu, 33, same age as Higgins, hasn't had a 40 point year since 2010/2011, and has had injuries ruin his career. He only had a 1 point with Carolina, vs Higgins who has had 40 point seasons consistently while bringing in leadership and his PK prowess. Last year he was victim of the youth movement and his injury before the season began kind of made him redundant as well as his mediocre performance and he was moved, kicked out. 

Sheppard I can see him being added to our depth in Utica, but Ruutu? I doubt he'd go to Utica when he could get job offers from overseas and make more money there. NHL or bust for him. And looking at his point production and age, it confuses me why Benning gave him a PTO and has given him a chance rather than Higgins who's been much better for us ever since he's been here and had just 1 off year. Not to mention the injuries and his major step back Ruutu had.

The main reason why Higgins was demoted/bought out was because of his age. His injuries didn't help his productivity LAST YEAR  but then again we had one of our worst seasons in a long time.

I'm not saying I'd bring back Higgins, but I don't get the reasoning of removing an "aging player" with pretty good productivity over the years but to then bring back a similar player with the same age, but hasn't been good for the past 5-6 seasons. Again it's just a PTO i know, but still quite confused at the Ruutu part. Sheppard I can understand, probably Utica depth.

Can't believe I have to summarize my point to you, should have gotten it from my last post

43 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

I just saw that. ECHL goaltender, though we should have 3 capable goaltenders already battling for spots in the AHL in Demko, Gartieg, and Bachman. 

There will be no battle.

Neither Demko nor Bachman will by playing any minutes in the ECHL. 

Gartieg will play for Alaska with whomever they find to partner with him. 

I am rooting for Gaunce as well, but I think he will benefit a lot more if he works with Malhotra in Utica, plus he is waiver exempt.  If anyone followed Sheppard career, he started and ended on a fourth line role because of the depth on the teams he played for.  Gaunce is only 22, maybe one good year in Utica with Manny will do him wonders for his nhl career.  Gaunce has the size, grit and hockey smarts.  Allow him to be a great centerman, not just a fourth line centerman

1 hour ago, HK Phooey said:

No.  The best case scenario is that they have enough game and sign an AHL contract with the Comets that includes a clause that gives the Canucks the first right of refusal to sign them to a two-way NHL contract.

Don't think that exists in AHL contracts, and if does no players would sign it.

These guys will sign in Europe before they sign an AHL contract. Only way they stay with the Canucks is if they sign them to two-way deals.

1 minute ago, Fanuck said:

There will be no battle.

Neither Demko nor Bachman will by playing any minutes in the ECHL. 

Gartieg will play for Alaska with whomever they find to partner with him. 

It seems you've interpreted my post as fighting not to play in the ECHL, which is not what was intended. AHL rosters are massive and often carry 3G. I was impying they were fighting for the starting position, or rather the majority of games. Should be interesting competition down there.

Do you have something to supplant about Carr playing or is criticizing all you have to contribute?

5 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

It seems you've interpreted my post as fighting not to play in the ECHL, which is not what was intended. AHL rosters are massive and often carry 3G. I was impying they were fighting for the starting position, or rather the majority of games. Should be interesting competition down there.

Do you have something to supplant about Carr playing or is criticizing all you have to contribute?

It's not a criticism - it's a fact.  Green was quoted a while ago in an interview saying that Bachman is the guy they wanted all along to mentor Demko in the AHL and that they already, sight unseen, have Demko penciled in to play about half of the games and Bachman the other half with some leeway in between. 

39 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Whose spot does he take?

Dorsette if he's injured. Shepard can be an upgrade on Prust. He's younger, grittier and more willing to come to the aid of his teammates. All things of value. He knows his game. Even if it as a fourth liner he may be an effective one and a good player to have around. 

: he had 25 pts in 37 games in one season of the  Swiss league. He has experience in the NHL in 394 games and has collected 91 points. He's had some injury trouble in the past but with only 37 games in Swiss league & plenty of time to work at his craft in the off season, he could be a good gritty winger to have for the bottom of our lineup.

image.png

Here are his peers from the first round of 2006 draft: pretty intresting to look back n see the career paths each of them have taken. image.png

1 hour ago, Lui's Knob said:

Who is Carr?

Kevin Carr, the 3rd PTO.  Goalie who has played with the Tulsa Oilers.  A chance for him to play in Alaska for the Canucks ECHL affiliate?  Perhaps the best chance of the 3 to land a contract.

Really, beyond depth for the preseason, who needs Ruutu or Shepperd?  Aren't there better alternatives in the system already?

2 hours ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

I just saw that. ECHL goaltender, though we should have 3 capable goaltenders already battling for spots in the AHL in Demko, Gartieg, and Bachman. 

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=74555

I guess they need bodies for camp. 

Yeah, we'll need someone to cover for whoever we send down to Utica's camp until Marky's back as well I guess. Maybe not so pressing a need but another body wouldn't hurt.

1 hour ago, Crabcakes said:

Really, beyond depth for the preseason, who needs Ruutu or Shepperd?  Aren't there better alternatives in the system already?

Which is consistent with these types of PTOs.

If Benning didn't feel comfortable with the current depth, he'd be adding vets on league minimum contracts, and not just signing a few PTOs.

These guys are mostly bodies for preseason games and a little healthy competition for the young players.

Of course, they have a chance at earning a contact if everything goes their way (they kill it during camp/preseason, we have some injuries, and/or the young guys fall flat), but odds are they don't stick around. 

Archived