The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sports Net Pacific : let's get it back !

SilentSam

Sports Net Pacific :   

72 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, J.R. said:

They might for the game itself but if someone were to produce a post game, Sports Page-esque show elsewhere with some actual regional coverage and god forbid local sports news (including even some nice local college/uni etc like Sports Page used to do), they'd lose a good chunk of those post game viewers West of the Rockies IMO. It might be only be a slight hit, but that would surely effect their ad revenue.

Seriously, there's an opportunity there for someone with the skills and the will.

There is certainly a piece of the corporate pie ripe for the taking. However, I'm not sure there is a viable business plan to start up something like that. Assuming you mean going through local highlight packages etc. Wouldn't the footage need to be purchased from the broadcasting company (ie. Rogers)? Not sure they would give that up to a potential rival.

I should add that I have no idea what I am talking about and am just assuming that footage would need to be purchased.... and quickly to do a daily show.

5 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

There is certainly a piece of the corporate pie ripe for the taking. However, I'm not sure there is a viable business plan to start up something like that. Assuming you mean going through local highlight packages etc. Wouldn't the footage need to be purchased from the broadcasting company (ie. Rogers)? Not sure they would give that up to a potential rival.

Oh I'm sure there's be some legal/financial hoops to jump through for footage etc but assorted news stations already obtain those so it's not unprecedented. Could also see about getting the NHL network footage as an option.

12 hours ago, hellosinki said:

Sportsnet used to be great.  And then the Blue Jays got good.  That's when they turned to sh*t.

But realistically, what I see is they have one baseball panel, one hockey panel (not nearly enough for each Canadian team), and absolutely no football (specifically CFL) knowledge.  Now if I was TSN, I could see this huge gap and take advantage.  But I'm not TSN or Sportsnet, so I guess we'll have to live with just Team 1040.

It's Rogers vs Bell when it comes down to it, Rogers holds a lot in regards to televison. Bell has 1040, I agree with you though network wise TSN has a broader spectrum on all sports over Sportsnet.

14 minutes ago, rawkdrummer said:

cut the cord and save $$$

cable sucks, it's way too expensive for what you get

I only have netflix because it's affordable and crosses formats.

We did. Don't miss cable at all. If you get a Rogers phone you get NHL Gamecentre for free anyway. Or if you have a kid in college, or you're in uni,  you can sign up for sportsnet now for $15/mo and get most games that way too. 

Sportsnet is all good (SARCASM)especially when Cleveland does the Homer thing in the Game at Toronto.WTF!

As for Hockey we showed the World who owns this game, just recently.

The states almost crapped a pickle,cause they got hammered right out of the tourney again.

We have to bring the Stanley Cup back home,where it really belongs.

Vancouver has never had a first round overall pick(EVER),or won a Cup ,so I personally feel the B.C. FANS DESERVE IT.

Since we have been subsidizing the lesser U.S. teams.

mic drop!

3 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

"Timmy Hunter... skating gingerly..."

"Kari Takko, with the enchilada of a save..."

"And ah ah a-a-ju-ju-ju... scores!"

"Toronto goal scored by number 9 Russ Courtnall.  Assists to number 8 Walt Poddubny, and number 2 Ian Turnbull..."

It's "Walt Poddubny Day". :lol:

Maybe the local TV station that don't have a right to the Canucks game can do an hour long post-game show with their own analyst and send a live TV on press conference and some live interview with players.  Maybe do some negotiation with the Canucks ownership for the right to show post-game coverage live other than Sportsnet.  They could do that for home games only.

21 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Bring back Donny and GValk for after game sessions/analysis.

Sportsnet is getting filled up with just pretty faced people who don't know jack about the game.

Taylor yes...but Valk?!?!?...Come on...that loser is the most inarticulate homer I've ever seen...he shouldn't be anywhere near a NHL hockey broadcast...

7 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

"Timmy Hunter... skating gingerly..."

"Kari Takko, with the enchilada of a save..."

"And ah ah a-a-ju-ju-ju... scores!"

"Toronto goal scored by number 9 Russ Courtnall.  Assists to number 8 Walt Poddubny, and number 2 Ian Turnbull..."

When there's a goal by Brunette, the assists go to blonde, and redhead......

14 hours ago, theilluminati said:

Taylor yes...but Valk?!?!?...Come on...that loser is the most inarticulate homer I've ever seen...he shouldn't be anywhere near a NHL hockey broadcast...

I don't mind Valk as much as you but I'd prefer Taylor and this guy:

On 10/19/2016 at 8:41 AM, J.R. said:

And while they're at it, bring back this guy too:

8JLZo9LL.jpg

They'd actually make a good pair IMO.

Voted no for selfish reasons. When SP had the Van games, I couldn't watch them without paying tribute to that nest of thieves, NHL Gamecenter/Center Ice. It was possible to subscribe to Pac here in Edm for not an outrageous price, but Van games were blacked out on it, removing the only reason anyone outside BC would subscribe in the first place.

So far this year I've been able to watch every game. OK, some of them are in fuzzy-def, but it's better than nothing. How long this lasts, idk.

On October 19, 2016 at 11:20 AM, J.R. said:

Oh I'm sure there's be some legal/financial hoops to jump through for footage etc but assorted news stations already obtain those so it's not unprecedented. Could also see about getting the NHL network footage as an option.

JR,.

I think there are some great problem solving suggestions in this thread,.

Some one mentioned earlier there is an opportunity here for some young, new faced wanna be, Uni or College or just plain gifted journalist type..  

Perhaps it's someone recording his or her own YouTube segment for the western region sports activities every night..  

He or she might get a loyal following,.  

This poll suggests there is a definite void for what "Sports Page"  and  what SN used to offer us gamers on the West Coast.

I would be happy to see and support some outlaw popping bullets into the dead head of late night sports cable we currently get.

SOME ONE,. GIVE THIS GIRL A WHIRL ,.  Opportunity is knocking !

On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 8:41 AM, J.R. said:

And while they're at it, bring back this guy too:

8JLZo9LL.jpg

I really disliked him at first, but he grew on me after awhile and I really started to value his contributions.  Sad that he's not around anymore.

Really enjoyed Garry Valk & Don Taylor as well.

Archived