The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Suggestions for jumpstarting the Power Play

*Buzzsaw*

15 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I think that the defense is the best it has been since 2011. Sbisa has been the steadiest, most reliable defenseman this season, and truly a barometer of how Benning has legitimately strengthened the back end.

The aspect that 2011's blueline was lacking was larger, tougher, more endurable players who also possess a modicum of skill. Edler has been the standard for that, but to be honest, he's never going to deter a lot of funny business in front of the net. That's not the way he operates. Gudbranson and Tryamkin more than fill that need, while also having other capabilities to give.

Benning has constructed such a multi-faceted, hydra of a defensive core, that it will be a pleasure to watch in a couple of years. Every box is checked.

dr-mccoy-and-captain-kirk-approve.gif

I've said this numerous times over the last couple of year........split the twins on the pp.  They both serve, essentially the same function..........they are both set up men on the pp.  Let Danny be the hank on the second unit, on the half boards and setting the dmen up for a shot.  On the same pp......well we all know how that goes.  They also need some serious net front presence, maybe even a double layer down the middle, one right in front, one around the hashmarks.

Granlund Hank Burr - hank on the right side half wall, Burr right in the goalies face, Granny as a high rover or left side half boards.  Replace Burr with Hansen when healthy

Tanev Stetcher - too many short handed chances, tanev will reduce that.

Danny Bo Eriksson - Eriksson planted in front, Danny on the right wall/behind the net and Bo as a high rover/shooter

Edler Baer - I would Baer down on the left side wall as an alternate set up guy, or weak side shooter and Edler as the bomber.

I think the main thing that everyone can agree on is that the PP is NOT working right now and there does not seem to be a "turn around" in sight. For this reason alone I think they should try something different..... anything. Whether its putting Bo on the #1 PP or putting Tramp in front of the net,anything is worth a try. Hard to understand why WD will not try something to better his PP which in turn will improve his Wins. Its like leaving a goalie in for more then 5 goals and the whole team waiting for the coach to take him out of the game to end the misery. ::D

28 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I think the main thing that everyone can agree on is that the PP is NOT working right now and there does not seem to be a "turn around" in sight. For this reason alone I think they should try something different..... anything. Whether its putting Bo on the #1 PP or putting Tramp in front of the net,anything is worth a try. Hard to understand why WD will not try something to better his PP which in turn will improve his Wins. Its like leaving a goalie in for more then 5 goals and the whole team waiting for the coach to take him out of the game to end the misery. ::D

I think part of Bo being on a line without the Sedins is that they are trying to prepare him so that he can learn to run his own unit when they are gone. If you put him with either Sedin, they will take the role of running the PP and Bo won't gain any traction. That's what I think Willie's reason is for having him on the second unit.

They need to put a big body up front and then play more of an "umbrella" formation like most good power plays do similar to a basketball offence with the guy in front essentially being the post. We also need our hardest shot at the top of the umbrella and that is not Stetcher 

this forces the box defence to shift as players break in towards the net 

what our current powerplay is doing is playing a box to simply match the defensive box and nobody is moving so we are super easy to defend 

but what do I know may as well keep doing what we are doing and hope for better results, right Willie? 

14 minutes ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

I think part of Bo being on a line without the Sedins is that they are trying to prepare him so that he can learn to run his own unit when they are gone. If you put him with either Sedin, they will take the role of running the PP and Bo won't gain any traction. That's what I think Willie's reason is for having him on the second unit.

Yes this is logical, but it assumes Willie is thinking about development for the future.  

They should try Edler on the wing with the Sedins. He has the hands, can read the play pretty well, and he has the size to battle for space on the net front plays. They could use Biega and Eriksson on the back end. Biega moves the puck fairly quickly and Eriksson has good defensive awareness.

The second unit should be Bo, Beartschi, and Sutter with Stecher and Tryamkin on the D.

On ‎2017‎-‎01‎-‎18 at 9:02 AM, Where'd Luongo? said:

I think the PP time he is getting now is hindering his development. He is playing with players who are not even getting to set up in the O zone. It looks frustrating to me I imagine he is not having much fun either. Two PP lines are not gelling together so why keep them together?

54 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I think the PP time he is getting now is hindering his development. He is playing with players who are not even getting to set up in the O zone. It looks frustrating to me I imagine he is not having much fun either. Two PP lines are not gelling together so why keep them together?

I'm not disagreeing with you at all. Just stating what I think wd's intentions are.

31 minutes ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

I'm not disagreeing with you at all. Just stating what I think wd's intentions are.

Yeah its hard to tell what WD's intentions are but you may be right. Somewhere along the line though you have to think he is got to realize that it is not working.

On 2017-01-18 at 9:21 AM, RWMc1 said:

They should try Edler on the wing with the Sedins. He has the hands, can read the play pretty well, and he has the size to battle for space on the net front plays. They could use Biega and Eriksson on the back end. Biega moves the puck fairly quickly and Eriksson has good defensive awareness.

The second unit should be Bo, Beartschi, and Sutter with Stecher and Tryamkin on the D.

Yeah try Edler on the wings with the Sedins, what a great idea. If 2 soft slow cycling swedes can't make it work, LETS ADD A THIRD ONE WHO CANT HIT THE NET DURRRRRTTRTRRRRRRRR

21 minutes ago, Davathor said:

Yeah try Edler on the wings with the Sedins, what a great idea. If 2 soft slow cycling swedes can't make it work, LETS ADD A THIRD ONE WHO CANT HIT THE NET DURRRRRTTRTRRRRRRRR

The Sedins have always played a puck possession game. I guess the idiots all decided to whine about it even though that's always been their game.

Guess what genius. the Sedins will continue to play a possession game whether morons whine or not. Having a big body in front might help.

Duuuhhh!!! His stick broke therefore he's a terrible defenceman. Duuuhhh! Having a way worse record when he's out of the lineup is only a coincidence. DuuuuHH!!!!

Focus on splitting two tactics - the down low cross crease pass and the point shot with a screen in front.

Sedin - Sedin - Horvat

Edler - Stecher

PLAY 1: Horvat plants himself in front of the net. Sedins play catch. Henrik tries to find one of the forwards for a tap in or a sneaking Edler for a cross-crease pass.

If the defence collapse down and take away that pass, look to play 2-

PLAY 2: Henrik and Daniel play catch, Horvat stands in the crease, Edler and Stecher set up for one timers (ideally Stecher with the point shot). Horvat may not be as good at tipping pucks or faceoffs as Sutter but he's a bigger stronger body and better to loose rebounds. That's how we need to score - dirty goals, and a strong Bo Horvat in front of the net is the first way to do so.

Keep it simple. Put our best 5 players on the ice and use our strengths.

On 11/4/2016 at 6:11 AM, DeNiro said:

Willie will do the same thing night in and night out, so who cares?

With a powerplay that bad they should be trying every option they can. Park Tryamkin in front of the net? Try Gudbranson on the first unit? Put Virtanen in a shooting position? Do something that makes me think that they're trying to improve it!

Watching the Sedins cycle it for 30 seconds until they lose possession is just frustrating to watch.

That's garbage. Willie has already made quite a few changes to the PP unfortunately he has not changed the way the Sedins play and they don't seem to realise they are part of the problem now.

If they really want see how good they are on the PP now, halve their minutes and allow them to realise they are not out for a Sunday stroll.  They will be forced to see just how little they get done on their shifts, which is usually twice as long as the second unit.

Or split them up, that would put a stop to their nonsense right away.

Archived