The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jameson Bennington the Third on TSN 1040 Feb. 16th

Ossi Vaananen

Benning: I'm letting them think about hockey. We have a five-day break and maybe during that time we'll have conversations with some players

Uhhh, this is concerning. He hasn't even talked to the players? They're going to wait until the deadline?

We're sellers. That's a given. What happens when another team starts selling before we do? When another team is more prepared than we are?

I don't want to read too much into this, but it's already sounding like last year where they left everything too late and got burned by more proactive teams. 

I'm going to set my expectations very low for this deadline. 

Jim Benning on Team 1040 - Feb 16, 2017 - 1:08pm

- At scouting meetings they go through all the teams, is there a fit with other teams. They have planned for the expansion draft now. Went through the pending FA's and know who they want to target.
- Teams are too close to playoffs so the phone lines are slow right now. Things will pick up next week.
- 5 games before the TDL and Jim wants to observe till the last day. He will talk to players and see if they want to waive to a specific team.
- They are concentrating on the TDL right now, will deal with the expansion draft after.
- Burrows and Hansen, No conversations with the players yet. 3 games coming up before a 5 day break, that will determine what happens
- It's a sellers market forsure because teams are waiting till the last minute to determin if they are buyers or sellers.
- Jim went to the U19 tournament in Swiss, watching 4 or 5 players then went to Sweden to watch the same.
- No generational player in this draft but it will still be a strong one.
- Lilgrgen has potential to be a cornerstone defenseman good shot, good puck carrier, would be a strong PP guy.
- CHL and college free agents are being scouted, a few CHL free agents have caught Jims eye. Monday Jim was in Boston watching Boston U game.
- Jim is excited about Adam Gaudette
- Zack Austin Reese, is one of the best college free agent, hes strong, good hands, good plays, him and Adam Gaudette have played together for the last couple years but lots of teams will be in on him so it will be tough.
- Eastern seaboard players dont typically like to go West which makes it even tougher.
- Jim is looking for another prospect for prospects trade that covers the teams needs. Once again, trades are hard, expecially this year.
- Trevor went to Utica to watch Jake play, they think he has improved greatly but needs to be keep developing. Utica doesnt have a high scoring group so his lack of points isnt overly worrysome.
- They will see how the season goes in regards to Ryan Miller, hes had a strong season but Markstrom can be a #1 next season.
- Curtis Valk, smart, always involved and making plays, not very big but has had a great season.
- Bo Horvat as the future captain, he's our top candidate, natural leader, shows up and is a great role model.
- Bo and Brandon might play tonight. They will take warmup and they will see.

3 minutes ago, StealthNuck said:

Uhhh, this is concerning. He hasn't even talked to the players? They're going to wait until the deadline?

We're sellers. That's a given. What happens when another team starts selling before we do? When another team is more prepared than we are?

I don't want to read too much into this, but it's already sounding like last year where they left everything too late and got burned by more proactive teams. 

I got the impression Gillis was too attached, or seemed to let relationships dictate business with some players.  Example (not trying to beat a horse here) in the 2012 context, wanted to keep Schneider for life when probably should have moved on early.

Benning may seem the same?  I really like Burrows and Hansen, Edler.  But I would be having hard conversations with them!

Benning: We've got five more games until the deadline. So we still have time to see where we're at going into the deadline

Honestly he should know that a five game subsample isn't going to be a good indication of where the team is at. The team has not improved their points percentage from last year (even though I've personally enjoyed this season more than last).

There seems to be zero upside to waiting five more games. The consequence is being late on trades and teams look elsewhere to make a deal or not having enough time to negotiate and potentially rushing a trade or missing out on one altogether.

7 minutes ago, StealthNuck said:

Ive given up on hoping for big change on TDL. Too many years of refreshing TSN to see us pickup 4th liners or swap minors. Roy baby doesn't count cuz he did less than nothing

9 minutes ago, StealthNuck said:

I agree.  Not getting ahead of the TDL and laying the groundwork for potential trades is certainly worrisome.  I too have doubts JB does anything:(

1 minute ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I got the impression Gillis was too attached, or seemed to let relationships dictate business with some players.  Example (not trying to beat a horse here) in the 2012 context, wanted to keep Schneider for life when probably should have moved on early.

Benning may seem the same?  I really like Burrows and Hansen, Edler.  But I would be having hard conversations with them!

I actually want to keep Edler and move Tanev. I've liked how Eddie plays with Stetcher. Tanev just doesn't offer enough offensive upside and lacks mobility. 

Just now, Down by the River said:

I actually want to keep Edler and move Tanev. I've liked how Eddie plays with Stetcher. Tanev just doesn't offer enough offensive upside and lacks mobility. 

And Tanev to a team like TO could net a sizable return: a first and two seconds.

How do you not know if you are a buyer are seller? 

Why would you even hint at being a buyer after saying picks were off the table? what are you buying with?

Edit, missread while posting from work. Ignore the above^

Still, Benning should have a decent idea who would be sellers based on the makeup of their teams and even so, start laying some groundwork

3 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Keeping those relationships with players also makes Vancouver a very attractive organization to free agents. As much as people lament the Eriksson signing, he had his pick of the litter and chose to settle in long term with a rebuilding team and no sure shot at a cup. You don't have players willing to make that sort of commitment to a team who mistreats their veterans and don't honour their end of the contract. I still remember the backlash the Leafs took for dumping Sundin and to a lesser extent the Canucks letting Naslund go. Treat your cornerstones right and you'll be rewarded!

Just now, Down by the River said:

I like both Tanev & Edler.  I just see that we have Brisbois, Tryamkin, Hutton, Juolevi, possibly Sbisa as young left handed D depth. Taking Tanev out leaves Gudbranson, Stecher and then Subbam and Carl Neil.  There just isn't the same prospects to replace him in the line up.

Larsen anyone?

I've also heard the Tryamkin is good on the right side case. Yeah he's fine.  But I also like to put D in the position where they can pick up the puck on their forehand, and start wheeling up ice. Or make the breakout play.  You can do that playing on your strong side much easier than on your back hand, with your back to the play.  I want to keep Tryamkin on the left. 

1 minute ago, Googlie said:

I inferred he was just talking about Burrows and Hansen when he said he hadn't talked to the players yet.  Further inferring that he might have talked with the Twins, Edler and Tanev 

Why would he have to talk to Tanev? Tanev does not have a NTC at this point so he could be traded without any conversations at all and I would not be surprised to see him moved if the right offer is out there.

5 minutes ago, Katobaron said:

Keeping those relationships with players also makes Vancouver a very attractive organization to free agents. As much as people lament the Eriksson signing, he had his pick of the litter and chose to settle in long term with a rebuilding team and no sure shot at a cup. You don't have players willing to make that sort of commitment to a team who mistreats their veterans and don't honour their end of the contract. I still remember the backlash the Leafs took for dumping Sundin and to a lesser extent the Canucks letting Naslund go. Treat your cornerstones right and you'll be rewarded!

At the end of the day do we need to build these relationships with free agents right now. Teams are built through the draft, and the young pieces that we need are not going to be found in free agency. Look at the "relationships" the Leafs have built the past couple seasons, giving fringe NHL players a shot with the possibility of flipping them at the deadline. This is the position that Vancouver is in right now. 

7 minutes ago, Googlie said:

I inferred he was just talking about Burrows and Hansen when he said he hadn't talked to the players yet.  Further inferring that he might have talked with the Twins, Edler and Tanev 

I say good luck with that to all (most?) of us us...

Archived