The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Stars trade Patrick Eaves to Ducks for conditional 2nd-round pick

12 minutes ago, ohmy said:

I don't know why anyone would think that Hansen's value is a 2nd round pick. This is one example of the very rare moments when the fans are under rating one of our players.  Bare minimum he is a 1st round pick or at least a B+ prospect  near ready NHL. We're talking about a guy that has excellent speed, kills penalties, and is good for 15-25 goals a season. Not only that but he has cap friendly  hit  next year, scores most  of his points on 5on5, and brings the character that every team loves in the playoffs. If a 2nd rounder is the offer you walk because you can get the same deal next year. You can quote me when  I say if all we get is a 2nd round pick I will eat my underwear live online. 

Again. Why does it matter? His value is what someone is willing to pay. Will Hansen be part of the next Stanley cup window in 5 years? NO!! Therefore he is a chip that needs to be cashed in before he becomes completely worthless. I don't understand why this organization cant just cash in assets for futures. I honestly can't remember the last time we did that with any significance. It's one of the many reasons we blow. 

On 2/24/2017 at 3:12 PM, combover said:

Yes and every interview bennings done in the last three years when asked about making a trade. 

And im not saying it isn't hard to make a trade but others seem to still manage to do it even if it is hard to do. Good gms find a way bad gms makes excuses. This will be three seasons of excuses. 

And ignoring the other related points in my post is why you're in multiple threads parroting the same garbage.

6 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

And ignoring the other related points in my post is why you're in multiple threads parroting the same garbage.

You edited your post   And added points after I responded.

And I could same the same about your posts in multiple threads. 

• 2 months later...

J.B. should call Nill about Edler for their Anaheim 1st round pick, a lesser young D-man (try for Lindell I'd say) and a goalie.
They have young left-handed defensemen in excess as it is (Nemeth, Oleksiak, Hammer as the vet in the group).

For reference, Kesler and a 3rd netted Bonino, Sbisa and Anaheim's late 1st (24th overall).  

Eddie with Klingberg and Hammer with Honker could be a very nice top-4.  Strangely, according to the stats guys in the Defending Big D blog, no partner has really worked well with Klingberg (Lindell, Hammer are the main partners but the pairings all tend to get buried).  If Eddie sees that there's a greater chance to win there I wonder if he'd be down to make a move like this.  

1 hour ago, Phil_314 said:

J.B. should call Nill about Edler for their Anaheim 1st round pick, a lesser young D-man (try for Lindell I'd say) and a goalie.
They have young left-handed defensemen in excess as it is (Nemeth, Oleksiak, Hammer as the vet in the group).

For reference, Kesler and a 3rd netted Bonino, Sbisa and Anaheim's late 1st (24th overall).  

Eddie with Klingberg and Hammer with Honker could be a very nice top-4.  Strangely, according to the stats guys in the Defending Big D blog, no partner has really worked well with Klingberg (Lindell, Hammer are the main partners but the pairings all tend to get buried).  If Eddie sees that there's a greater chance to win there I wonder if he'd be down to make a move like this.  

Strongly disagree

Edler is not a top pair D.

Hamhuis is not a top 4 D.

Honka is yet to become a top 4 D

This is a playoff missing top 4 for sure.

18 minutes ago, 70seven said:

Strongly disagree

When Hamhuis was in Nashville he played with Weber on the top pairing. While no-one thought Hamhuis was a "top-pairing dman" he still played well on a top pairing role alongside a valid #1 defenseman.

So no Edler is not a "top pair dman" but he is able to play alongside a top pair dman and eat some valuable minutes.

I agree with Honka not being a top 4 D too much pressure on the kid to do that. Hamhuis I think is alot better than he's shown. Alot of players stumble on their first years to a new organization so I'm not writing Hamhuis off as a top 4 defender but if I were Dallas I'm also not going to bank on it so priority #1 would be finding a top 4 LHD.

Dallas ain't going to trade Lindell. He had 18 points in his first year... Edler had 21 this last year... They need to add to their defense group.

Interesting. Not sure how highly Dallas values Edler but if we could do that and flip Tanev for something nice we'd be sitting pretty. 

26 minutes ago, 70seven said:

Strongly disagree

Could you perhaps justify your arguments?  What about these players makes them not fit their prescribed roles?

On 5/11/2017 at 6:52 PM, goblix said:

When Hamhuis was in Nashville he played with Weber on the top pairing. While no-one thought Hamhuis was a "top-pairing dman" he still played well on a top pairing role alongside a valid #1 defenseman.

So no Edler is not a "top pair dman" but he is able to play alongside a top pair dman and eat some valuable minutes.

I agree with Honka not being a top 4 D too much pressure on the kid to do that. Hamhuis I think is alot better than he's shown. Alot of players stumble on their first years to a new organization so I'm not writing Hamhuis off as a top 4 defender but if I were Dallas I'm also not going to bank on it so priority #1 would be finding a top 4 LHD.

Dallas ain't going to trade Lindell. He had 18 points in his first year... Edler had 21 this last year... They need to add to their defense group.

Dude, that was like a decade ago.  Hammer is nowhere near the kind of dman he was then.  If he was, he'd still be playing in Vancovuer.

As for Edler, Any top 4 D can conceivably play along side a top pair D and eat valuable minutes. Put Edler beside Karlsson and you have a top pair.  But if you put another 2nd pair D beside him, you have...  a second pairing.  Its like calling Burrows and A. Carter legit 1st line talent because they played well with the Sedins.  Reality is that they arent 1st liners.  So in that sense Edler has the ability to play in a top pair should he be paired with the ying to his yang.  I dont see that player in big D.

Dallas has a LOT of work to do with their defence.  Im sure Edler could help, but they realistically and desperately need more of a Tanev, not so much an Edler, whos incredibly inconsistent. 

Edler would be a lovely add to Ottawa though

On 2017-05-11 at 7:52 PM, goblix said:

:lol: 

Guy, Hamhuis last played for Nashville 8 seasons ago. He was 26. Jeez.

3 hours ago, 70seven said:

Dude, that was like a decade ago.  Hammer is nowhere near the kind of dman he was then.  If he was, he'd still be playing in Vancovuer.

As for Edler, Any top 4 D can conceivably play along side a top pair D and eat valuable minutes. Put Edler beside Karlsson and you have a top pair.  But if you put another 2nd pair D beside him, you have...  a second pairing.  Its like calling Burrows and A. Carter legit 1st line talent because they played well with the Sedins.  Reality is that they arent 1st liners.  So in that sense Edler has the ability to play in a top pair should he be paired with the ying to his yang.  I dont see that player in big D.

Dallas has a LOT of work to do with their defence.  Im sure Edler could help, but they realistically and desperately need more of a Tanev, not so much an Edler, whos incredibly inconsistent. 

Edler would be a lovely add to Ottawa though

The Hamhuis point was just an example to bring up for the case of Edler, Hamhuis was never a top2 defenseman but played on a good top pairing.

On the Edler point we agree. I think we are just arguing over semantics...

Edler can be a top pairing dman... He is not a legit top 2 dman though, he is a legit top 4 dman.

It's actually an interesting discussion to talk about the wingers like Burrows and Kunitz both were beneficiaries of amazing talents in Crosby and Sedins but the intangibles that they brought to their respective lines were simply crucial... replaceable? probably but still they brought an element to the line that the line itself needed. Again of course they are not "first line talents" but they do still have the ability to contribute to a first line unit.

For a defense pairing it's more intricate because the defenders need to read from each other and based on that they could be very good or very poor.

Hamhuis I think he is still a decent top 4 dman on the steady road to decline

Dallas does need a ton of help on defense for sure. 

Archived