The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Jalen Chatfield

3 minutes ago, JamesB said:

Okay, I get it. Canucks planning to buy the Aces franchise and move it to Abbotsford or maybe closer in and want to stock the team with some Canuck prospects.

There's nothing to buy. The team is ceasing operations, as in: at the end of this year they will cease to exist.

At that time, all the players on the roster will become Free Agents.

I haven't heard of any plans by the Canucks to form a new agreement somewhere else, so if that holds true through the summer then all of our Aces players will be "loaners" and sign with other teams.

I like this signing. Good depth move. Free prospects are good and I think he's got better upside than some of the more "high profile" college UFA defensemen that are available this year.

I suspect we will see a d man moved for a forward this summer. Also, I don't expect Tom Nilsson, Chad Billins, and Philip Larsen to be re-signed so there will be openings. There is also a good chance, in my mind, that Luca Sbisa is lost to Vegas in the expansion draft. Meaning there'll be opportunities for dmen next season.

I also suspect that Andrey Pedan will slot in as an extra d-man next season with Larsen out of the organization. Evan McEney, Jordan Subban, Alex Biega, Oli Juolevi, and a UFA vet d man like a Taylor Fedun will likely battle for the other "extra" d man slot created by the absence of Sbisa and Larsen (and possibly Biega, now that his expansion eligiblity won't matter).

Im not sure where this leaves Tate Olson or Carl Neill, though. Both may be signed or only one. Either way, you can never have too much D :D

2 minutes ago, Quantum said:

I like this signing. Good depth move. Free prospects are good and I think he's got better upside than some of the more "high profile" college UFA defensemen that are available this year.

I suspect we will see a d man moved for a forward this summer. Also, I don't expect Tom Nilsson, Chad Billins, and Philip Larsen to be re-signed so there will be openings. There is also a good chance, in my mind, that Luca Sbisa is lost to Vegas in the expansion draft. Meaning there'll be opportunities for dmen next season.

I also suspect that Andrey Pedan will slot in as an extra d-man next season with Larsen out of the organization. Evan McEney, Jordan Subban, Alex Biega, Oli Juolevi, and a UFA vet d man like a Taylor Fedun will likely battle for the other "extra" d man slot created by the absence of Sbisa and Larsen (and possibly Biega, now that his expansion eligiblity won't matter).

Im not sure where this leaves Tate Olson or Carl Neill, though. Both may be signed or only one. Either way, you can never have too much D :D

Brisebois?

Don't understand this one, but hey wouldn't forwards be a little more important at this stage?  They have like a jazilion Dmen in the pipe.

Maybe JB is going to re-invent the modern day NHL lineup and move to a 1 - 3 - 2.  1 - Goalie - 3 Dmen and 2 Forwards. Revolutionary.

29 minutes ago, Borvat said:

Don't understand this one, but hey wouldn't forwards be a little more important at this stage?  They have like a jazilion Dmen in the pipe.

Maybe JB is going to re-invent the modern day NHL lineup and move to a 1 - 3 - 2.  1 - Goalie - 3 Dmen and 2 Forwards. Revolutionary.

I stated earlier that this likely signals the beginning of a major roster turn-over - especially in Utica.

Brisebois 
Neill
Chatfield
Dahlen
Goldobin 
Boeser
MacEwen
Shore

That's 8 players, most of which will be in Utica next season.
If you leave out Shore, who's 26, the other 7 are between 19 and 21 years old (and all will be eligible to play in the AHL next season)

Grenier (25)                   (UFA)
Archibald (27)                (UFA)
Negrin (27)                     (UFA)
Megna (27)                     (UFA)
Biega (28)                       (1 more year)
 *Rodin (26)                     (UFA)

.... These are all guys who've very likely reached their ceiling. they won't be regular NHL players on any good team. They are stop-gaps at best, which is what we're seeing from guys like Megna.

It looks like Bennings cranking up the turnstiles and getting ready to dredge the swamp. 

( *Rodin: I feel bad for the kid but he'll be 27 next season and has missed basically 2 full seasons in a row because of that knee. I expect him to go back to the SHL or KHL if healthy enough to do so )

22 minutes ago, terrible.dee said:

Yes,

What a great GM we have, get us so may amazing players........(take out amazing and good  for truth0

He's had a good couple of weeks.  Goldy looks ready and Dahlen is tearing it up against men.  Now you're complaining in a thread about a free prospect.  I've given Benning some heat in the past but he had the best deadline in the league.  Utica needs players and I'd prefer a long shot over a guy like Larsen who's a proven liability.

Never a bad thing to shore up on D depth. Utica needs all the talent they can get as their lacking some real deal defencemen other than McEneny, Robak, Subban, Pedan. The rest are mediocre at best but are very solid defensively. If he's not doing well in his 1st few games in Utica next year, he can go down to Alaska

1 hour ago, Borvat said:

I think they are already testing that out with Biega! hahaha

I mean Brent Burns is sort of half forward/half defencemen and is destroying the league, so why not start a trend. 

4 hours ago, HomeBrew said:

Doesn't make much sense to me, but I guess he's free... I doubt he would even crack Utica's roster next year, but what is the point of wasting contracts for the ECHL? 

So you've scouted him? Watched him play? Or did you just read his stats and with your plethora of facts deemed where he is in the pecking order?

Just wondering?

Archived