The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Draft 2017 "What if....?"

boomer29

Mmmmm....  for discussion....

Just imagine the NHL Draft Lotto gremlins decided to reward the Canucks after their limited success in recent years.... and against the odds, the Canucks ended up with the #1 choice?

Nolan or Nico ?   A big, strong center with some offence or a shifty, creative scorer?

Then to continue the idea.... what if the #1 & #2 (assuming Nico & Nolan) end up elsewhere and (against the odds again) the Canucks got the 3rd choice instead of Vegas and any lower points teams? Vilardi? Rasmussen? Tolvanen? Tippet? ??

What's your call armchair experts?

41 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

What if Canucks DO draft 1st overall first time ever and draft Patrick and and and...his injuries cause him to flame out in 6 years

This is certainly a legitimate concern. There is no denying that he is very talented, but I would certainly hope the Canucks explore other options if they did end up with the first overall. 

My dream is Canucks win 2nd overall... easiest pick of the day.  Whoever is left between Nico and Nolan is your selection.  Fans would be happy, management would have an easy decision, and nobody would be able to blame anybody if the player selected turns out to be a dud as it was a consensus pick. 

5 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

If we're split between the two, then do this following:

Find out of the holder of the #2 pick really covets either Nolan or Nico. Hopefully they do. Then make them think we're gonna take "their guy." Then tell them you'll listen to offers. Trade #1 for #2 plus another asset. Draft whoever's available at #2.

I thought about this, and that wouldn't work.  If you were going to pick "their guy", then why would WE want to trade away the pick to get that guy?  It would be so transparent.

The better choice is to put out there publically that we are having difficulty deciding between the two, without stating a preference at all.  Hype up the good points of each player.  THEN approach the #2 team and ask if they want to move up to get "their guy". 

15 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

Nothing that he hasn't recovered from though, not like his career is in jeopardy.

I think the concern is that he would be Salo v.2. Played 15 seasons, and never played 82 games in any of them.

I'm assuming the Canucks will wind up with the 4th pick and they will select Vilardi. Hischier (Colorado), Patrick (Arizona),  and Mittelstadt (Vegas) will go before him.

regards,   G.

Archived