The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Most outrageously overrated ex-canucks dman in history?

apollo

9 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Dana Murzyn. 

Lol even though I was younger all I remember is him coughing the puck up all the time.. yes he brought other stuff to the game but could you imagine what this fan base would do to him now with social media?? Can't think of a coughing up the puck reference that rhymes with Murzyn though ;) 

11 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Keith Ballard.

The 'Raymond, Ballard, 1st for [insert superstar player name here]' proposals speak for itself. ;)

Could say the same for Tanev as looking at the a lot of the proposals in our forums apparently him plus (insert random garbage or late round pick) will garner a Domi or Marner or SR.  Tanev is a very good player but highly overrated in trade proposals in my opinion.

45 minutes ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

Could say the same for Tanev as looking at the a lot of the proposals in our forums apparently him plus (insert random garbage or late round pick) will garner a Domi or Marner or SR.  Tanev is a very good player but highly overrated in trade proposals in my opinion.

who says marner?  that's a little lucrative for a return.  

3 hours ago, Davathor said:

Edler hands down

what a plug

With all the hate that he gets for being a complementary, poor-man's top pairing D-man when he logs big minutes, I'd think he's underrated if anything on CDC.  

Media always views him as an asset that would fit on other teams' top pairs, so while he's not a top dog and he doesn't do one thing spectacularly (he does make blunders too and doesn't put up too many points) the fact is that he's there to anchor the blue line with Tanev and he munches up minutes that our young guys simply aren't ready to take up. On a transitioning team that's pretty invaluable if you ask me (as is the potential high return we can net for him in trades).

31 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

who says marner?  that's a little lucrative for a return.  

I think there has been a few but the most recent was yesterday or the day before in the proposal section... There were extras involved I believe a first going with Tanev and a second coming back with Marner which while being not as offside as Tanev alone for Marner would definitely not come close to value. 

10 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Nobody

Not 1 person

Bryan Frigging Allen

Seriously, 4th overall, the reason we could validate sucking with Messier.  Gonna be better than Lecavelier by the end of his career

short memories eh

Short memories? Dude that was like 20 years ago.

13 hours ago, apollo said:

First and foremost... Let me tell you something. 

The current Canuck d-man are all gems. Absolute gems! No overly hyped up guy. All underrated, especially Sbisa and Pedan.  

How about ex Canucks? Who do you guys think was the most overrated and why? 

Sami Salo? Nope, definitely not him. I'd say he was probably the most underrated of all time in terms of dman. Or at least top 3 canucks history... 

Mattias Ohlund? Not a chance! 

How about Aaron Rome? No way... The Romer is underrated and innocent! Was discriminated against in 2011! 

Keith Carney or Nikita Tryamkin IMO. Easy. Hands down. Never liked either to be honest. Both hyped up way too much. 

Wow. Someone is seriously butthurt. You sound like a jilted girlfriend. 

10 hours ago, Gally said:

Unpopular opinion probably but I feel Willie Mitchell was a bit overrated here.

How so??  I feel like he and Juice were invaluable as a linchpin pairing on a defensive Canucks team, a Hammer and Juice pairing if you will before those two were ever on the ice as a pairing.  His steady defense freed Juice up to be more aggressive offensively when the team as a whole struggled to score at times, plus he was also an alternate captain for a couple of seasons, was he not?

I'm going to mention, to a certain degree, Jovo ... even though he was one of my favorite Canucks back then.

Loved when he was on and playing to his potential, and he was entertaining, but he was also a gaffe machine, inconsistent, and injury prone.

He was kinda night and day. You never knew which Jovo you'd get. When he was great, he was really great. He could be a spark to change a game. But when he was bad, it was noticeable.

When you stack him against others like Lidstrom, Pronger, Niedermayer, Gonchar, Jovo never reached that level when he was here, or broke out to lead his generation of younger Dmen as people expected.

Maybe more frustrating than outrageously overrated because he had so much talent to be dominant.

13 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Maybe more frustrating than outrageously overrated because he had so much talent to be dominant.

I *STILL* remember the series where he dominated a healthy in his prime Lindros (when Jovo was a Panther)

What ever happened to that version of Jovo?

15 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I *STILL* remember the series where he dominated a healthy in his prime Lindros (when Jovo was a Panther)

What ever happened to that version of Jovo?

Looking back now, I'm thinking THAT version of Jovo kinda got lost in the rush of Crawford's uptempo offensive style.

Interesting ... Jovo and Crawford were here for the exact same length of time, same years. 

Terrible thread.

I hate feeding frenzies at the expense of Canucks.

Ironic that it was started by the biggest fairweather homer on CDC.

hey apollo - get off Tryamkin's back - we have no idea in the end why he may have elected to do what he did - no shortage of perfectly valid reasons why he would/should do what he feels is best for himself and his family.

and he may come back an even better, more confident young man.   lots of players go to their homes (something you'd think a homer would understand) and then return to the NHL in due course.

The Canucks still have his NHL rights.  Reports are that it was a one year deal in the KHL - which doesn't exactly close any future doors.

Most people don't consider the Canucks a contender next year.

Far more drama than necessary - but hey, welcome to Vancouver - drama queen central.

Archived