The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

5th Overall: CDC 2017 Draft Consensus

5th Overall: CDC 2017 Draft Consensus  

532 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, baumerman77 said:

They are very close when you eliminate secondary assists (which are less predictive and have proven to be unreliable at the junior level)

G/GP      A1/GP       P1/GP

Glass    .46         .52              .99

Vilardi   .59          .39             .98

They're really very comparable quality players. I like Glass more, specifically for the Canucks but you can easily make an argument for either. Especially for another team who may not share our needs. 

7 minutes ago, J.R. said:

They're really very comparable quality players. I like Glass more, specifically for the Canucks but you can easily make an argument for either. Especially for another team who may not share our needs. 

Yes. I like Glass playmaking but I also like how Vilardi uses his size.  

But the more I did into numbers, specifically shots by quality (low, mid, high danger), shooting percentage, even strength and short-handed production and looking back at last years draft minus 1 numbers; the more I am impressed with Suzuki (compared to Vilardi and Tippett). I just can't figure out why he isn't tanked in that second tier (3-10). He is 5'11" but by all scouting reports he is more than willing to go into the corners and he is hard to knock off the puck. He played PK last year a lot more than Vilardi and Tippett did. His playoff numbers were better than Vilardi and Tippett too. He is also a younger (August birthday).

Does anyone know why he isn't ranked higher by most scouts? All the reports I've read only say positive things but then they go on to rank him 10-20. It's confusing. 

2 hours ago, guntrix said:

In being a 17 year old, Vilardi was sheltered and didn't have to play the hardest minutes during his draft year - something that should raise alarms. Meanwhile Glass was leading his team. We could go into hypotheticals and wonder how many points Gabe would notch on another team but that would be a risky move while picking top five.

Context goes both ways. 

Just a question, how do you know that he played sheltered minutes?  

From all reports I heard he was a guy that improved his linemates corsi constantly, he had 18 different linemates thru the season due to injuries and was one of Windsors best players against the Knights.  

EmW

18 minutes ago, baumerman77 said:

Yes. I like Glass playmaking but I also like how Vilardi uses his size.  

But the more I did into numbers, specifically shots by quality (low, mid, high danger), shooting percentage, even strength and short-handed production and looking back at last years draft minus 1 numbers; the more I am impressed with Suzuki (compared to Vilardi and Tippett). I just can't figure out why he isn't tanked in that second tier (3-10). He is 5'11" but by all scouting reports he is more than willing to go into the corners and he is hard to knock off the puck. He played PK last year a lot more than Vilardi and Tippett did. His playoff numbers were better than Vilardi and Tippett too. He is also a younger (August birthday).

Does anyone know why he isn't ranked higher by most scouts? All the reports I've read only say positive things but then they go on to rank him 10-20. It's confusing. 

I like Glass for his better play making and skating for the Canucks. He's also bound to get bigger as he fills out. Even if he only ever stays 'Linden skinny', he should still be around 200+ lbs in his prime. 

I like Suzuki, if we got a second pick in that 10-15 range and Makar and Lilj are both gone, I'd entertain a flyer on him. Him and Necas could both be major steals where they're bound to go. 

6 hours ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Good question. From what I understand, Boeser was high on Benning's list - to the point that Benning was surprised he was still on the board at 23 - but I don't remember his name being brought up on here at all until he was drafted.

lmao I barely knew who he was before we drafted him

I want Mittelstadt, and I love Tippett as a player but he doesn't fit that well for us at this point. Any of Vilardi/Glass/Necas/Pettersson/Heiskanen/Makar I'd be good with. Don't want Liljegren or Rasmusson.

2 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Speed and skill, speed and skill, speed and skill.  

Mittelstadt is the best combo of speed and skill IMO if that's what we're going for.

Probably comes with more risk than Vilardi or Glass, but looks to have a higher ceiling based on his pure offensive skill.

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Mittelstadt is the best combo of speed and skill IMO if that's what we're going for.

Probably comes with more risk than Vilardi or Glass, but looks to have a higher ceiling based on his pure offensive skill.

I found his scouting report eerily similar to Kesler's in 2003, as well. 

1. Valardi

2. Glass

3. Mittelstadt/heiskanen 

Im expecting valardi to be gone at no.3 to deal and heiskanen at no.4 to col so it's essentially a two headed race between glass or mittelstadt 

I'd go glass. Can never have enough Canadians 

Although if Canucks go D again, heiskanen and juolevi would anchor the blue line for years to come. 

11 minutes ago, on the cycle said:

idk I keep flip flopping. My centers would be Glass/Mittelstadt and Dmen would be Makar/Liljegren.

Makar's just too sketchy for my liking, especially for a top 5 pick. If we got another first round pick then maaaaybe but I definetly wouldn't take him at 5. 

53 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

This is just it.  Risk.  Benning needs to have a successful pick.  He can't afford to draft a "fair" prospect like Virtanen again.  He must either draft a top 6 centre or a top pair D.

Like you said earlier DeNiro, my first choice would be the Centre because Hank is declining and I think there is a good chance he retires when his contract expires at the end of next season.

I like the compliment to Horvat's power game.  I'm thinking Glass.  

12 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

This is just it.  Risk.  Benning needs to have a successful pick.  He can't afford to draft a "fair" prospect like Virtanen again.  He must either draft a top 6 centre or a top pair D.

Like you said earlier DeNiro, my first choice would be the Centre because Hank is declining and I think there is a good chance he retires when his contract expires at the end of next season.

I like the compliment to Horvat's power game.  I'm thinking Glass.  

You want a big reward though it has to come with some amount of risk.

Safe picks are all well and good, but we don't need safe middle six players at this point. We need a player that exceeds expectations by taking their game to an elite level.

Mittelstadt just has something in his game that makes me think he can be a dominant player with the right development. I don't get that sense as much with Glass and Vilardi. I see them as very good second liner centers, but we already have that in Horvat.

I say boom or bust. We already got screwed out of our franchise center, might as well roll the dice on the guy with the highest ceiling.

Archived