The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign D Andrey Pedan [1 year deal]

Pedan has a real opportunity here. He has the tools, and hopefully Green can show him how to make them work together.

For his size, he's very fast, and has a howitzer of a shot, hardest on the team presently.

As well, he's a willing combatant, something Tryamkin wasn't totally comfortable with.

If he can put it all together and work on his defense, who knows.

That's a relief. I know some of you think it's minor, but he was absolutely shafted this year. Went from potential roster player, to never called up due to waiver status, to being a healthy scratch at one point. He could be swimming in cash in Russia, but showed his loyalty here. I hope he makes the team out of camp.

Also, with the departure of Tryamkin, and to a lesser extent Larsen, as well as the potential loss of Sbisa in the expansion draft, keeping Pedan was needed. Honestly, if our 5/6/7 defensemen are lost, Pedan is the guy who steps in.

6 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

That's a relief. I know some of you think it's minor, but he was absolutely shafted this year. Went from potential roster player, to never called up due to waiver status, to being a healthy scratch at one point. He could be swimming in cash in Russia, but showed his loyalty here. I hope he makes the team out of camp.

Also, with the departure of Tryamkin, and to a lesser extent Larsen, as well as the potential loss of Sbisa in the expansion draft, keeping Pedan was needed. Honestly, if our 5/6/7 defensemen are lost, Pedan is the guy who steps in.

Very good point. Can the same be said for another Russian?

Speaking of that traitorous commie (sarcasm), don't think for a moment that Benning isn't being strategic here. Clearly part of the reason Pedan has been signed is to maintain leverage with Tryamkin, in hopes that Pedan can relay back word to Nik that it's time to return to the NHL. Imagine a defense with Tryamkin, Gudbranson, and Pedan....

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, iinatcc said:

Awesome now this makes Tanev expendable   :wub:

1 hour ago, HerrDrFunk said:

mal-speechless.gif

I was going to reply, but you saved me the effort. Tanev playing the right side is not affected by Pedan (who plays left) re-signing. Losing Sbisa, for example, in the expansion draft, or trading Edler would be a correlation though.

1 hour ago, VIC_CITY said:

This is a make or break year for Pedan. I have zero expectations. If we get any NHL games out of him, I will be pleasantly surprised.

I think he'll get some regardless, but for me it's all about how he shows in camp - and how he reacts if he doesn't immediately make the team. Last year he seemed to sulk at points when he went back down after a call up. He can't do that (or trail off in general down in Utica) or he'll get passed over by other call ups instead.

Good luck to him this offseason, a strong one will do wonders for his chances.

23 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

bst.gif

TBH, I can imagine Pedan being a more attractive piece to LV after Gaunce but before Sbisa.

They will get their roster D from other teams, he has a low cap hit, younger, likely to pass through waivers, and if he makes their squad they can sell fights.

LV will be taking some guys from NHL teams for their system. Pedan fits well in that. Since the Canucks aren't exposing a major piece they'll look for depth from us.

6 hours ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

That's a relief. I know some of you think it's minor, but he was absolutely shafted this year. Went from potential roster player, to never called up due to waiver status, to being a healthy scratch at one point.

That was due to his play, not his waiver status.

he brings an element that the Canucks seriously lack. Gudbranson can't do all the fighting on this team.

Tanev gets run over - instant response.

Steps up on people 

and he beats them up lol

18 minutes ago, Trebreh said:

he brings an element that the Canucks seriously lack. Gudbranson can't do all the fighting on this team.

Tanev gets run over - instant response.

Steps up on people 

and he beats them up lol

The immediate response is a welcome sign. This team needs way more of that element to help protect the skill coming down through the prospect pipeline.

Too bad he can't learn to take a regular fourth line winger role. The Canucks need some toughness up front, it shouldn't all have to come from the back end whereby a fight would cause the defense lines to have to be juggled for 5 minutes or more.

2 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I think Gudbranson is essentially the guy that will replace Tryamkin on the third pairing. Pedan could be a solid 7th or 8th defenceman that can fill in for one of our injured defenceman because there will be injuries.

Vancouver doesn't have a deep enough roster to have Guddy in the 3rd pairing. He's a #3 or #4 at worst on this team. 

Archived