The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign D Andrey Pedan [1 year deal]

41 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

People are overhyping this aspect of his game while forgetting he's also had a few concussions the last couple years. While he does still fight, he's scaled back on the number of fights he takes and when (which is actually a positive if he wants to be an effective defenceman on the ice more often).

People like his size, speed and shot. So what? 

9 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

I would say the fact he signed a 3 year deal in the KHL speaks volumes about how bad he wants to be in the NHL. 

Could be his team and or the KHL looking for and pushing for a buy-out/compensation clause given the situation.

Just now, SilentSam said:

Could be his team and or the KHL looking for and pushing for a buy-out clause given the situation.

I'll believe it when I see it, the fact he signed that deal says enough for me. Wouldn't be surprised to see him come back but also wouldn't be surprised if he stayed there. 

5 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

I'll believe it when I see it, the fact he signed that deal says enough for me. Wouldn't be surprised to see him come back but also wouldn't be surprised if he stayed there. 

Regardless, I hope to see him at the worlds, and or oylimpics, can't say that skating hard on that big ice is going to hurt him.

3 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Desjardins messed up the development last season in so many ways, and this is another example.. Pedan could have been the 7-8 d man last season, interpreter, teammate, and comrade/ liaison for Nik.

I really like Pedan, but he was scratched in Utica, with good reason, and you'd give him a roster spot in the NHL just to be a on ambassador?

At times last season, Pedan clearly looked like he should be in the NHL.  In other games, he looked like he was ready for the ECHL.

8 hours ago, iinatcc said:

Awesome now this makes Tanev expendable   :wub:

8 hours ago, VIC_CITY said:

heh?

I am pretty sure it was a joke that re-signing Pedan makes Tanev expendable.

8 hours ago, apollo said:

Maybe tone down the hype so Vegas doesn't pick him up? 

Another pretty good joke. (I hope.)

Not to throw cold water on the situation, but the Canucks had very little to lose by re-signing Pedan. His chances of making the big club are slim, but he might be able to put things together this year. No point is losing him for nothing.

As others have said, he has the tools but not the hockey IQ and maybe not the temperament to be successful in the NHL. But if he can get his head together over the summer, maybe he can play well in Utica (as he did the year before last) and maybe he comes in as injury call-up to the Canucks during the season. The Canucks could certainly use his size and toughness.

I think that getting called up the team in the past and then not playing seemed to set him back each time it happened. That is not a good sign about his maturity and attitude,  but I can understand the frustration he felt. Both Pedan and Tryamkin probably could not understand Willie's determination to play guys like Weber and Bartkowski last year and Larsen this year, and give big minutes to Sbisa. It almost looks like some kind of anti-Russian bias. I am sure Willie did not consciously think he was particularly tough on Russians, but his handling of Pedan, Tryamkin and Goldobin was puzzling, especially compared to guys like Weber, Larsen, Megna, etc.

I know that Green made Pedan a healthy scratch a number of times last year but, by all accounts, that was deserved as Pedan did not seem to have his head in the game a lot of times. I am guessing Pedan was very happy to see Willie go. Maybe he can put things together this year. Given that defencemen often develop late there is still hope, but he needs to show a lot of progress this year as he is turning 24 this summer and will not get many more chances.

I hope it works out but, even if it does, it will not have a big impact. The Canucks have quite a few guys who are or will soon be decent 3rd pairing Ds. What they don't have is legitimate 1st pairing D's, and Pedan will not help out with that problem.

1 hour ago, stawns said:

I really like Pedan, but he was scratched in Utica, with good reason, and you'd give him a roster spot in the NHL just to be a on ambassador?

At times last season, Pedan clearly looked like he should be in the NHL.  In other games, he looked like he was ready for the ECHL.

No .. I've been a Pedan fan since Benning traded for him out of the Islanders system.

im just stating that there were many times last season and the season before that Pedan could have been utilized on the Canucks roster better by Desjardins.. and that would have included establishing a relationship with Tryamkin.

Im sure conversations between Nik and Andrey, would have served far better than watching old clips of Pronger in the board room.

Happy to have Andrey re-sign.. Im sure this re-kindles his spirit and he sticks.  He has played well at the NHL Level with us already.

2 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

I would say the fact he signed a 3 year deal in the KHL speaks volumes about how bad he wants to be in the NHL. 

Aint that the truth.. I wasn't aware that it was for 3 years. Do you you know how much the deal is worth?

36 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I truly believe it's family issues.. 

The KHL is NOT healthy, and I'm sure he is aware..

lol you have too much faith in people. Dude was home sick, didn't want to play over seas, easier playing style, more money. 

38 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

lol you have too much faith in people. Dude was home sick, didn't want to play over seas, easier playing style, more money. 

Waaaay less money in the KHL...  should have been able to sign for Hutton type money here..  he'll be lucky to sign for what would amount to 1m US with AvtoYet.. In a league that is falling apart.. looks easier on the big surface ice,. But that's what can make it harder..

22 years old..  I've always told my nephew that getting married in your 20's is like leaving the party at 9pm..

Call it homesick, family obligations, or peer pressure..  he will get over it.

Archived