The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is It Time For A New Identity?

2 hours ago, Chris12345 said:

I hate the orca. We aren't the Vancouver orcas and that was the prior management group.

We're not the Vancouver Rinks or Vancouver Skates either.  It's a rather silly argument when it's a C for Canucks just as the stick in rink is.

1 hour ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Lower ticket prices and put a decent product on the ice and that will happen.   (Not Rocket Science)

that's a good way to attract fair weather fans. 

for an organization that does so much for the local community, it's sad that their fans are so reluctant to give back and feel entitled to unending success, and when they fail to receive that, they respond with ambivalence. 

On 5/3/2017 at 6:40 PM, DSVII said:

I'd remove the "vancouver" lettering as its crowded.  But I do love the orca. 

I like the lettering. Makes it look complete. Just having an orca makes it look kind of plain.

But, yea, keep the current scheme. Part of a tradition is maintaining an image. Teams like Montreal and Chicago have maintained the same image for decades and are easily identified by their crests. We need the same type of tradition. An image that is, easily, recognized as ours.

14 hours ago, Baggins said:

We're not the Vancouver Rinks or Vancouver Skates either.  It's a rather silly argument when it's a C for Canucks just as the stick in rink is.

I love the stick and puck jersey but also think every team could use that logo as they all play hockey on a rink with stick.

To you valid point though it does contain the "C".

At the end of the day I want a logo that is unique to the Canucks. 

On 03/05/2017 at 10:29 PM, Ghostsof1915 said:

I pointed this out 2 years ago, and it will always ring true.

Vancouver fans are so bipolar it's insane. You can guarantee there's a jersey thread at least every 6 months. 

Just leave the Jersey alone for awhile. 

You can tell what generation fans are in somewhat by their favourite jerseys. Smyle Big V, Linden/Bure flying skate, Naslund Black Orca, Sedins Blue Orca. 

I absolutely hated the Orca given at the time it was like an owner designing his hockey team around his companie logo, but it's grown on me.  The eighties jerseys were dreadful, the skate will always be special...but I finally think they got it.  Change it a little to reflect the new era but nothing too drastic...

As far as "identity" goes, I fully expect the Canucks to continue using their cartoon-ish Orca and Johnny Canuck logos going forward. Unfortunately. Notice that most of the more successful franchises aren't using cartoons nor lettering on the front of their jerseys. 

1 hour ago, komodo0921 said:

I like the lettering. Makes it look complete. Just having an orca makes it look kind of plain.

But, yea, keep the current scheme. Part of a tradition is maintaining an image. Teams like Montreal and Chicago have maintained the same image for decades and are easily identified by their crests. We need the same type of tradition. An image that is, easily, recognized as ours.

You mean like stick-in-rink?

Our current identity:

- A terrible team

- Who can't score

- That has no first line

- No top-2 defensemen

- No top goalie

- A rather poor prospect pool

- Absolutely no toughness

- Very little size or strength

- Who drafts abysmally

- Yet still pays their players the most they possibly can

Yeah, I think we could use a new identity!

40 minutes ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

Our current identity:

- A terrible team

- Who can't score

- That has no first line

- No top-2 defensemen

- No top goalie

- A rather poor prospect pool

- Absolutely no toughness

- Very little size or strength

- Who drafts abysmally

- Yet still pays their players the most they possibly can

Yeah, I think we could use a new identity!

This is more along the lines of what I was thinking. Not so negatively, but the identity should be more about the players on the ice rather than what they're wearing.

17 hours ago, Baggins said:

sigh . . . but they do play in a hockey rink and they do wear a skate while doing it.  both these things occur during all their games.  maybe you might be able to say a fish will swim by in false creek while they are playing.  surprisingly johnny canuck is who the team is named after despite all the phony news that tries to challenge that theory

If they were to form a new identity, I'd say keep the current colour scheme and jersey patterns, the blue and green should live on into perpetuity. But the Orca reeks of servicing a bygone era of Orca Bay Sports and Entertainment in the late 90's. No one thinks of a Canuck as an orca whale, it doesn't really matter that it's a mammal that people argue represents the West Coast. If they threw the Johnny Canuck V-logo in place of the Vancouver and Orca, I'd think they'd finally have a true identity that wouldn't need to be meddled with again. My favorite logo is the blazing skate, but even that really doesn't represent the West Coast and the Canucks.

1537065-johnnycanuck.jpeg

9 hours ago, granpappy said:

sigh . . . but they do play in a hockey rink and they do wear a skate while doing it.  both these things occur during all their games.  maybe you might be able to say a fish will swim by in false creek while they are playing.  surprisingly johnny canuck is who the team is named after despite all the phony news that tries to challenge that theory

One is for what they play the other for where they play. This area is unique in a pod of Orca's that don't migrate. This is also the city that changed the world view of Orca's. The ties between the Orca and Vancouver are unique. Thus a good representative of where the team plays. Plus the Orca forming a C is a logo that couldn't be applied to any other team.

Btw, we're not the Johnny Canucks either. Just the Canucks. Naming the team Canucks was actually a marketing ploy suggested by a friend of the original owner. You'll never get people to agree on what is a good representation of "Canuck". Thus a C being my preference for the logo. Given the choice of that C being in the image of the sport or the location, I'd choose location because it represent us, where we live. I love the Orca logo.

Bottom line: you'll never come up with a logo everybody loves.

Archived