The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is It Time For A New Identity?

3 hours ago, Baggins said:

You should look up the history of the Orca, the Vancouver Aquarium, and what was learned about Orca's as a result. Did you know at one time there was a 50 calibre machinegun located at the mouth of the Burrard Inlet for protection from "Killer" whales? What was learned about Orca's at our Aquarium did indeed change the world view. You should tell all the local whalewatching tour companies there's no interest. Surely they're wasting their time on a business bound to fail.

not a single word about hockey . . . you see, i am a hockey fan, not a cetologist.  i don't care about the whale.  why not put a crest of the orca onto the salmonbellies jersey then and see how well that works.  that's how much sense it makes having an orca for the canucks logo.  orcas to me, denotes a high school girls basketball team.

On 2017-05-06 at 0:59 PM, Alflives said:

I'm thinking you're too young, but wasn't the change from stick-in-rink to the wild colours an attempt to change the "feeling" around the team?  I kind of remember talk like that back then.  

Psychologically aggressive colors. A sports psychologist was involved in the design. He should have his head examined. :lol:

1 hour ago, granpappy said:

not a single word about hockey . . . you see, i am a hockey fan, not a cetologist.  i don't care about the whale.  why not put a crest of the orca onto the salmonbellies jersey then and see how well that works.  that's how much sense it makes having an orca for the canucks logo.  orcas to me, denotes a high school girls basketball team.

Why does it have to do with hockey? Check the logos from around the league. The majority don't have anything in them pertaining to hockey.

The Orca forms a C for Canucks, just as the Stick in Rink forms a C for Canucks. If one is invalid to represent 'Canucks' both are as neither image actually represents the team name 'Canucks' other than forming a C. One reps where the team plays (as do the uniform colors), while the other what the team plays. Both are valid or both are invalid. It's just the usual lame excuses you're giving.

8 hours ago, granpappy said:

Bang on.  Dump the stupid whale logo.  How did we get the worst logo in the league?  Really....look at all the NHL logos and show me one that is worse.  There isn't one.    Go with Johnny Canuck...now that is a Canuck.  Since we're in a rebuild...lets include the logo and refresh the uniform.  The colors are beautiful...keep those.  

7 minutes ago, Zedlee said:

Bang on.  Dump the stupid whale logo.  How did we get the worst logo in the league?  Really....look at all the NHL logos and show me one that is worse.  There isn't one.    Go with Johnny Canuck...now that is a Canuck.  Since we're in a rebuild...lets include the logo and refresh the uniform.  The colors are beautiful...keep those.  

Here's two that are worse......

JC.png

Stick.gif

31 minutes ago, Zedlee said:

Beautiful logos.  Either would be better than the crapping whale. 

One is minor league the other bland and boring.

As I've said many, many, many times, over and over again - it doesn't matter what the logo is there will be those that don't like it. I hate those two and love the Orca. The reason I love it is it's very Pacific Northwest, just like the jersey colors, and forms a C for Canucks. It's a perfect combination.

On 5/3/2017 at 7:29 PM, Ghostsof1915 said:

I pointed this out 2 years ago, and it will always ring true.

Vancouver fans are so bipolar it's insane. You can guarantee there's a jersey thread at least every 6 months. 

Just leave the Jersey alone for awhile. 

I disagree, only in that Vancouver is consistent for changing jerseys, changing is kind of like our thing.

21 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

How often has any of the "original six" changed their jerseys in the past 50 years? 

who cares? nothing the canucks do will make them an original 6 team. nothing they do will negate the past 50 years. 

why not embrace your history instead of trying to hide it like you're ashamed of it?

15 hours ago, granpappy said:

Just perusing the posts and found a kindred spirit.  At the time Orca Entertainment adding their logo seemed the ultimate vanity play.  You don't see a Pizza replacing Detroit's wheel just because the owner has the little Ceaser  Empire, or any other team defacing their jerseys out of some misplaced corporate ego trip.  

After all this time I'm used to it, but I haven't forgotten the roots.  The Orca is here to stay...at least until the next owner decides to put his stamp on the franchise.

1 hour ago, fivethej said:

Is there anything to the rumor the Canucks are gonna scrap Orca along with Fin in favor of Johnny Canuck?

The only rumors are fan created. Nothing legit. All that's changing is the company making the jerseys.

Archived