The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is It Time For A New Identity?

14 hours ago, Fakename70 said:

As far as "identity" goes, I fully expect the Canucks to continue using their cartoon-ish Orca and Johnny Canuck logos going forward. Unfortunately. Notice that most of the more successful franchises aren't using cartoons nor lettering on the front of their jerseys. 

Really? what would you call the Pittsburgh Penguins logo?  

11 hours ago, Brock10 said:

If they were to form a new identity, I'd say keep the current colour scheme and jersey patterns, the blue and green should live on into perpetuity. But the Orca reeks of servicing a bygone era of Orca Bay Sports and Entertainment in the late 90's. No one thinks of a Canuck as an orca whale, it doesn't really matter that it's a mammal that people argue represents the West Coast. If they threw the Johnny Canuck V-logo in place of the Vancouver and Orca, I'd think they'd finally have a true identity that wouldn't need to be meddled with again. My favorite logo is the blazing skate, but even that really doesn't represent the West Coast and the Canucks.

1537065-johnnycanuck.jpeg

No way, this is specifically a shoulder patch and thats it. Although I do agree the Orca sucks.

5 hours ago, Baggins said:

One is for what they play the other for where they play. This area is unique in a pod of Orca's that don't migrate. This is also the city that changed the world view of Orca's. The ties between the Orca and Vancouver are unique. Thus a good representative of where the team plays. Plus the Orca forming a C is a logo that couldn't be applied to any other team.

Btw, we're not the Johnny Canucks either. Just the Canucks. Naming the team Canucks was actually a marketing ploy suggested by a friend of the original owner. You'll never get people to agree on what is a good representation of "Canuck". Thus a C being my preference for the logo. Given the choice of that C being in the image of the sport or the location, I'd choose location because it represent us, where we live. I love the Orca logo.

Bottom line: you'll never come up with a logo everybody loves.

here we go . . . this city changed the world's view of orcas?!  there is no world view of orcas in the general population as far as i know, at least not enough of a view to be able to say that something or someone was able to change that view.  there is little interest in orcas.  as for the fake news that johnny has lil to do with canucks, go back 50+ years and you will find there was a logo of a man who was a logger who was a canadian who liked to wear macs and toques and played hockey with a stick and a puck, his name was johnny.  where in that logic do you come up with a fish?

The "new identity" doesn't have to come through a wardrobe change...it'll come through their attitude.  Not that the "old" team didn't have one, but it unraveled after the ousting by Boston.  I want the main takeaway to be "we're not taking it".  You have to battle, hard, in this league.  I see them standing up for themselves and that's the new identity I want.  Every single guy has to be ready to go to war.  Warriors...that's the theme I want to see.  Speedy, energetic warriors.

What's under the jersey...in the heart, blood, sweat and tears.  No shifts off.

28 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

The "new identity" doesn't have to come through a wardrobe change...it'll come through their attitude.  Not that the "old" team didn't have one, but it unraveled after the ousting by Boston.  I want the main takeaway to be "we're not taking it".  You have to battle, hard, in this league.  I see them standing up for themselves and that's the new identity I want.  Every single guy has to be ready to go to war.  Warriors...that's the theme I want to see.  Speedy, energetic warriors.

You remember the '80's when we got cuffed around by the Oilers and Flames? I don't want to go through that for a decade again. Not that I want to see Bo or Ben fight often but it was refreshing to see that level of passion in a down season.

5 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

I'm thinking you're too young, but wasn't the change from stick-in-rink to the wild colours an attempt to change the "feeling" around the team?  I kind of remember talk like that back then.  

On ‎2017‎-‎05‎-‎04 at 10:10 AM, GarthButcher5 said:

When I read the title I thought the discussion would be focused around the identity of the on-ice product but unfortunately instead this is one of the many jersey threads we will see throughout the summer.

The team does need a new identity but that should be with their play on the ice. The on-ice intensity change starts with a handoff of leadership and should move towards being a team that looks after one another and steps up when there are cheap shots instead of looking the other way and hoping for the best (which is not very good) on the pp. New captaincy, more toughness and a different attitude is the identity this team needs to change.

This.

The team needs to move past the Sedins, even if they are still kicking around.

And by this, I mean the team needs to move beyond the perimeter puck cycle game identity.  They need to move beyond the impossible between 17 legs and against the flow of play saucer pass idendtity.  They need to move beyond the turn the other cheek new age hippie identity.

I want a hard nosed north south bang and crash, put it ALL on the line every single shift type team.  Call this a Canadian identity, if you want, I don't care.

I'm actually tired of all of the jersey changes. I think consistency would be nice for once so I say no thanks to a jersey change.

Besides, when Lemieux retired from the Penguins, did they change their jerseys? How about when Sakic and Forsberg left the Avalanche? Why change it here because of the Sedins retiring?

I also don't think it's a matter of whether or not the on ice should change. The on ice WILL change. We already have different players so that's a given. It's just a matter of what kind of change will happen.

On 2017-05-06 at 5:55 AM, granpappy said:

here we go . . . this city changed the world's view of orcas?!  there is no world view of orcas in the general population as far as i know, at least not enough of a view to be able to say that something or someone was able to change that view.  there is little interest in orcas.  as for the fake news that johnny has lil to do with canucks, go back 50+ years and you will find there was a logo of a man who was a logger who was a canadian who liked to wear macs and toques and played hockey with a stick and a puck, his name was johnny.  where in that logic do you come up with a fish?

You should look up the history of the Orca, the Vancouver Aquarium, and what was learned about Orca's as a result. Did you know at one time there was a 50 calibre machinegun located at the mouth of the Burrard Inlet for protection from "Killer" whales? What was learned about Orca's at our Aquarium did indeed change the world view. You should tell all the local whalewatching tour companies there's no interest. Surely they're wasting their time on a business bound to fail.

From the looks of the moves lately, we're moving away from try-hard tough boys with stone hands to skilled high octane smaller players. As much as people hate it, look at the teams having success in the playoffs. This is the way the NHL is moving to, predominantly skilled smaller forwards who can play against big tough defenders with speed, and the occasional tough guy.

In the last little while, we've brought in Dahlen, Goldobin, Stecher, Juolevi, Boucher. None of these guys are very tough, but they all posses some sort of offensive talent, whether it be vision, passing or shooting. This is clearly what JB is trying to build around. It'll be tough to emulate the Oilers, Penguins, Predators or Capitals skill, but he's trying. 

Archived