The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

'Canada's Team': Why do we all hate each other?

I grew up in the 1970's and in my teens in the early 80's. So other than a glimmer of hope in 1982 Vancouver  was sadly a doormat. All the years of laughing and abuse from Flames and Oilers fans, and transplanted Montreal and Toronto fans takes it toll. So when Calgary/Edmonton and Toronto play I cannot and will not support them. 

Montreal I can tolerate because the fans there are super passionate. They also appreciate good hockey. When Kirk Mclean had a shutout in 1992 and he faced over 40 shots, I will never forget the fans in Montreal Forum giving McLean a standing ovation. That was class. 

Winnipeg and Ottawa I don't mind. Just my 2 cents. 

3 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I grew up in the 1970's and in my teens in the early 80's. So other than a glimmer of hope in 1982 Vancouver  was sadly a doormat. All the years of laughing and abuse from Flames and Oilers fans, and transplanted Montreal and Toronto fans takes it toll. So when Calgary/Edmonton and Toronto play I cannot and will not support them. 

Montreal I can tolerate because the fans there are super passionate. They also appreciate good hockey. When Kirk Mclean had a shutout in 1992 and he faced over 40 shots, I will never forget the fans in Montreal Forum giving McLean a standing ovation. That was class. 

Winnipeg and Ottawa I don't mind. Just my 2 cents. 

This is like a mirror image of how I see things...good post!

Sports fans have a difficult time being objective. I try my darn best as much as it hurts sometimes

As a Cincinnati Bengals fan, as much as it pains me to watch my team get mopped up by the Pittsburgh Steelers on an annual basis- I have a real hard time understanding the psyche of my fellow Bengals fans who will continue to trash and deride the Steelers- an organization which is vastly superior and more successful than we are. I would kill to have my team win as many superbowls.

Similarly, any of my fellow Clippers fans who like to laugh at the misfortune of the Lakers and think of the Clips' as the new talk of L.A. in the current day are %#%^ing morons. We haven't won jack ####..... the Lakers have 16 rings.

Same goes for hockey really. The Detroit Red Wings could finish 30th for the next 5 years while we win the President's trophy in each of those years. Unless we can follow that up by winning 1 or 2 Stanley Cups, the Detroit Red Wings will remain a superior franchise to the Edmonton Oilers seeing as they won their 4 Stanley Cups in a more competitive environment (26, 28, 30 teams as opposed to 21).

Why cheer on your rivals?  Messier hitting Linden when he was down on the ice.  Oilers using the Canucks as a doormat and firing range.

back in the 80's.   Ratface Ferlund and Tkachuik are the new villains.  Maple Laughs are the main topic in the Sports News station.  Stories on Marner's favorite cereal.

Edmonton/Toronto cheering like they won the Stanley Cup after losing in the 1st round, still losers for the past 11 years. 

I was so happy when Carolina beat the Coilers in 2006, I won $10.

Tampa Bay- Ruslan Fedotenko was my favorite player after he scored the winning goal against the flames in 2004 Cup final.

It feels good when the other team beats the Oilers, Flames, Hawks, Bruins or Leafs in the playoffs.  I do like Ottawa, Montreal and Winnipeg except the giant Buffy.

Rivals:  Canucks vs Hawks.  Where Towell Power was born. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Hockey_League_rivalries

Chicago Blackhawks vs. Vancouver Canucks (1974–2013)

For a period of five seasons between 2008–09 and 2012–13, this rivalry was considered one of the best, if not the best rivalry in the NHL. This is mainly because there were three straight years of playoffs series between these teams in 2009, 2010, and 2011. The first seeds of the rivalry began with the realignment of the NHL in 1974, placing both teams in the newly formed Smythe Division. For two years, they battled each other for the top spot and in 1977, they went down to the wire for the last playoff spot, which Chicago won on a tiebreaker by virtue of having more wins at season's end.

The two teams met in the playoffs for the first time in the 1982 Campbell Conference Finals, which is best remembered for a mock surrender by then-Canucks coach Roger Neilson over what he deemed questionable officiating in Game 2, which began the Towel Power tradition in Vancouver and elsewhere in sports.[75] Vancouver prevailed in the series four games to one, as part of their 1982 Cinderella Stanley Cup run.[75] The Blackhawks swept the Canucks in the 1995 Western Conference Semifinals.[76]

They would not meet again until the 2008–09 season. The Blackhawks would eliminate the Canucks in the playoffs that season in the second round and would defeat them again the following season in the same round as part of their 2010 Stanley Cup run. The rivalry reached its peak in the 2011 playoffs, as they met for the third straight year in the first round of the playoffs that year, where the Canucks finally defeated Chicago 4–3. In this series, the Canucks took a 3–0 series only to drop the next three games. In Game 7, the Blackhawks tied it in the final minutes shorthanded, sending the game to overtime. In overtime, Canucks forward Alexandre Burrows scored on a slapshot to win the series for the Canucks, as part of their run to the 2011 Stanley Cup Finals, in which they ultimately lost in seven games to the Boston Bruins.[77] The rivalry has died down since then due to the Canucks' regular season play as well as a lack of playoff matches between the two teams.[78]

I have no problem cheering for the Habs and the Sens if the Canucks are not in contention.

I would cheer for steaming pile of horse turd before I cheer for the Laffs, Phlegms and the Coilers.

Nobody cares about the Jets.

I think the whole rivalry thing is overdone around here. I can understand not cheering for Chicago or Boston or any other team that's recently had their way with the Canucks in the playoffs, but to cheer against a Canadian based team because of history from decades ago, their fans and media, or because of playing in the same division is asinine. The Canucks, for the the time being at least, are no longer relevant. We dont have any rivalries with anybody because we're not good enough for other teams to care about us.

Just a reminder, for those of you who cheered against the Oilers in these playoffs, San Jose and Anaheim kicked our ass a lot more recently in the playoffs than Edmonton ever did. But that doesn't really matter because the Oilers "screwed up our draft" by drafting four 1st overalls, two of which dont play for that team anymore and another one who's pretty much become a non-factor. That team isn't good now because of those 4 picks and the Canucks aren't bad now because of them. The Canucks actually got a lot of easy points in the standings over the years thanks to the Oilers ineptitude. 

As far as this year's playoffs go, if it were possible that Anaheim and Nashville could both lose their upcoming series I'd be happy with that. I dont want to see another cup in California and I dont want to see a 20 year old team in a fringe market win their first cup before the Canucks do. If Ottawa cant win the cup then I hope the Pens can repeat.

20 hours ago, Where's Wellwood said:

Recent like 2004? Yes, I was barely paying attention to hockey at that time. Unless you mean our 2015 playoff series. i don't consider that a rivalry. The only thing I came out of that series hating was CBC for their incessant talk about then 18 year old Sam Bennett. 

My hate for Chicago, LA and Boston has decreased since many of the factors I hated are no longer with the team (Byfuglien, Versteeg, Sutter as coach, Recchi, Boychuk, Thomas). Some people still remain (Kane, Keith, Brown, Doughty, Chara, Bergeron) so I still don't want them to win. 10-20 years from now when no one on the team is the same, will I still hate them? Maybe. I might find new reasons to hate them. Ask me in 20 years.

Which brings the point back to hating other teams because of their fans and media. I don't do that. I hate because of particular players, coaches, and things actually under the control of the franchise.

I joined in 2010 after the Canucks got eliminated by Chicago again. I joined because of hate for the Hawks. Just because I accept that teams change and I don't buy into the mass hate that i wasn't around for, doesn't me I'm not a Canucks fan. Being a Canucks fan isn't some choice that comes with hatred for certain other teams attached.

I just wanted to respond to apologize as I did go too far with my comments but i thought the post came across more as a lecture to the fan base. I do admit that I do not like other franchises because of both their fans and media and certain players and coaches. That said I believe that the players and coaches outside of the rink are probably all great people. Still for me it seemed the majority of Canadians during our run to the cup were supporting the opposite side so I do not like when we have to be told that we should support a Canadian team in the playoffs.

Think it's more a rivalry. Each Canadian market wants to be the one to end the now almost 24 year drought. I like Ottawa and Winnipeg but I don't like any of the other Canadian teams, Just based off of rivalries between teams and fan bases. 

On 2017-05-11 at 10:25 AM, Where's Wellwood said:

I brought that up. We had an irritating team looking from the outside and part of it was media generated villain labelling.

Cheering against those teams now for the 2011 reason only continues the cycle of fanbased team hatred. The fans don't define the team as evidenced by us.

I don't buy the we had an irritating team argument.

The Bruins with the Ratboy Marchand, Dr Recchi, Lucic and Thornton and others were not exactly a loveable bunch either.

Edmonton not only employs Lucic, they saw fit to put that scumbag in a leadership position.  Draisitl's already spearing guys in the balls.

I see zero reason to cheer for someone who consistently disgraces the sport and have no plans of pretending to have an ounce of respect for him as either a person or a player just because he's chosen to play in Canada's biggest cesspool.

On ‎11‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 5:58 PM, 250Integra said:

It's because most of the fans of those teams and eastern media were cheering for us to lose in 2011. 

This...

@Where's Wellwoodwhere were you during 2011. Or do you just turn the other cheek like a good Danny boy.

None of these ##### gave a toss about Canucks, and were full of joy, when we got eliminated by extremely poor refereeing and League decisions.

Not a chance I'll cheers for any of the Alberta teams or the team from the centre of the universe....not.

On ‎11‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 9:33 PM, debluvscanucks said:

But "hatred" for another sports team isn't usually rooted in actual "hatred" for individuals...it's a general thing.  It's what sports rivalries are based on.  It's actually ok to "hate" in that respect...it comes from a place of passion and intense experiences that we've had.

It's not insecurity at all....if done correctly, it can be fun to hate one another.  It's a love hate thing, really.  We all love this game so much we end up hating each other.

I HATE the Maple Leafs but that's not to say that if I saw one of them drowning I wouldn't jump in and try to help.  It's a hatred that lives and dies on the ice for the most part.  I have friends in Toronto...if I really "HATED" everything about Toronto, I doubt that would be the case.  I hate "the Leafs".  The team, in relation to my team.   It's hockey hate. DESPISE THEM.  Oilers too.

Sorry Deb, but you are a far better person than me...

If I saw Kadri drowning in a river, I'd probably hand him a heavy shackle to hold on to...

Don't think OP know, what rivalries means... Got lots of friends, who supports rival teams, but on game days they are all enemies. If they win anything, I might lower myself to congratulate them, but I feel sick to my stomach.... and I hate them even more. Not a chance in hell I would ever cheer for a rival team...

We don't have a rivalry with Sens, so if I were to choose, I'd support them for the Burrows connection, but I could care less, who wins it... As long as it isn't Oilers, Flames or Laughs... Don't want them to rub it in even further...

1 minute ago, spook007 said:

If I saw Kadri drowning in a river, I'd probably hand him a heavy shackle to hold on to...

Don't think OP know, what rivalries means... Got lots of friends, who supports rival teams, but on game days they are all enemy. If they win anything, I might lower myself to congratulate them, but I feel sick to my stomach.... and I hate them even more. Not a chance in hell I would ever cheer for a rival team...

We don't have a rivalry with Sens, so if I were to chose, I support them for the Burrows connection, but I could care less, who wins it... As long as it isn't Oilers, Flames or Laughs... Don't want them to rub it in even further...

Don't hate the Ducks, but really hate (the much deserved to be hated by the wonderful Canuck's fans) Kesler.  Definitely will want the Ducks to lose, while he is there.

57 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Don't hate the Ducks, but really hate (the much deserved to be hated by the wonderful Canuck's fans) Kesler.  Definitely will want the Ducks to lose, while he is there.

Don't worry, its PK's year. I hope he takes the cup back to the Montreal Children's Hospital. 

1 hour ago, spook007 said:

Don't think OP know, what rivalries means... Got lots of friends, who supports rival teams, but on game days they are all enemies. If they win anything, I might lower myself to congratulate them, but I feel sick to my stomach.... and I hate them even more. Not a chance in hell I would ever cheer for a rival team...

We don't have a rivalry with Sens, so if I were to choose, I'd support them for the Burrows connection, but I could care less, who wins it... As long as it isn't Oilers, Flames or Laughs... Don't want them to rub it in even further...

"One of them" .  Kadri wouldn't make the short list.    B)

Archived