The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks being approached about Tanev

From Friedman, with an interview with Benning: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/rumour-roundup-asking-price-high-canucks-chris-tanev/

IF YOU WANT CHRIS TANEV, THE PRICE IS HIGH

With Canucks president Trevor Linden reluctantly admitting in April that his team is indeed in a rebuild there has been much speculation as to what this means for some of the veteran players on the roster.

According to CapFriendly, Tanev doesn't have any trade restrictions in his contract yet, but a modified no-trade will kick in for 2017-18. At that point, Tanev can list eight teams to which he will not accept a trade. So if the Canucks wish to move the 27-year-old defenceman, this might be the off-season to do it in.

But according to Sportsnet's Elliotte Friedman, the Canucks aren't exactly eager to trade Tanev. Teams have been calling Vancouver about a potential move, but the price to acquire him remains high.

"There's been a lot of talk about Chris Tanev and the Vancouver Canucks," Friedman said. "The one thing I’ve heard is other GMs who say they’ve reached out to Vancouver have been told this is no guarantee and if Chris Tanev is going anywhere the price is going to be very high for him. He’s got three more years under contract. He’s a good player at a good price. I don’t think Vancouver is looking to do this unless it's a great deal."

Tanev is making $4.45 million against the cap through the 2019-20 season and averaged 20:20 of ice time per game for the Canucks this season. He was the biggest penalty killer among all Canucks blue liners.

Vancouver GM Jim Benning talked about the potential for a Tanev move last week.

“I wouldn’t be doing my job if I didn’t listen and see if [a trade] is worth it, but it’s hard to find good defencemen,” Benning said. “Especially defencemen who are mobile and move the puck. I’m not shopping Tanev or bringing his name up in conversations with other GMs. They bring up his name.”

Benning seems reluctant to move Tanev, and who can blame him - we'd be even worse without the guy. It seems that teams are bringing Tanev's name up but Benning wants something exceptional. I mean he's still young and on a great contract, I dare say Benning has the edge in these negotiations. 

Post expansion, pre draft in a rumoured "shallow draft" is the moment to trade Tanev.  Benning would be foolish to admit he's being shopped; but those few days between the expansion draft and the draft is going to see the value of a guy like Tanev go sky high.

Also, Kings in on E. Kane?  Oh please do gut your team even more.  Give up picks AND prospects to do it please.

Hopefully some team offers JB an offer he can't refuse. Good to see he's listening. I bet Dallas and Edmonton have offers.

This is fantastic, if JB can weasel out more value out of Tanev this way then we'll have a real rebuild on our hands. The return he got for Burrows and Hansen was fantastic, lets see if he keeps that trend going.

To nit-pick, the thread title is actually (for once) the opposite of inflammatory...according to Benning himself the Canucks are not rumoured but ACTUALLY being approached about Tanev.

As much as I'd hate to see him go...swing for the fences JB!

If they believe Heiskanen or Liljegren can be top 2 D-men and can get a pick in that range, then you go for it.

I don't see Tanev being in his prime when this team is a contender again. Might as well get a big piece for him now if you can.

Just now, DeNiro said:

If they believe Heiskanen or Liljegren can be top 2 D-men and can get a pick in that range, then you go for it.

I don't see Tanev being in his prime when this team is a contender again. Might as well get a big piece for him now if you can.

It's got to be an A+ prospect or a high pick.  I don't want a guy like Duchene - 25 or older.

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

It's got to be an A+ prospect or a high pick.  I don't want a guy like Duchene - 25 or older.

We need to start building up the D-core too.

Drafting a top center and D-man in this draft would be huge for the future.

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

A 5 year timeline to playoff threat not bubble team is actually in the realms of feasibility.  Meaning a 32 year old oft injured throughout his career Tanev.

Agreed that the time is right to trade him and that he needs to garner a solid return.

If he CAN get a decent first and or a blue chip prospect (picks) for Tanev though here is a fun thought

Benning will have gotten quality return for

• Burrows undrafted
  • Hansen 9th round pick (2nd last in the last round no less)
  • Tanev undrafted

If that isn't the epitome of getting quality for players that were never supposed to make it I don't know what is

18 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Canucks didnt interview Liljegren, I doubt they are interested in him.

Ship him off to Toronto, so we get Kapenen and their 1st....

Only reason why Dallas won't make a move with us is because we don't want to give up our for 5th for the 3rd. What we can do is move Toronto's pick as it is appealing to them. Now if Edler waives for Dallas, sweet. If not move Sbisa and the 17th pick or w.e it is for the 3OA and a contract dump.

As much as it hurts to say we need a 1C and a top 2 defencemen 

1 minute ago, PunjabiCanucks said:

Ship him off to Toronto, so we get Kapenen and their 1st....

Only reason why Dallas won't make a move with us is because we don't want to give up our for 5th for the 3rd. What we can do is move Toronto's pick as it is appealing to them. Now if Edler waives for Dallas, sweet. If not move Sbisa and the 17th pick or w.e it is for the 3OA and a contract dump.

As much as it hurts to say we need a 1C and a top 2 defencemen 

Thou shalt not trade with the hated Leafs.  

Archived