The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017-2018 line up (with what we have)

Caniners77

On Thursday, June 22, 2017 at 6:39 AM, Rocksterh8 said:

This line up makes me wanna POOP!

thats what it is alright and it got worse today. Just get used to the fact we won't ever win a cup and after that it might get to be worth watching for fun  but don't expect lord stanley to be here anytime soon

Here's the thing for me looking at our line/up, if Eriksson has a bounce back year, which, let's be honest, he can't be much worse than he was last year, and Daniel and Hank are able to tow the line with similar production to last year, I don't see us as being that bad. We could have upwards of 8 guys who would be capabale of potting 20 goals in our line-up (Bo, Baer, Granlund, Brock [after seeing what he did at the end of last year I fully believe it. The kid could be up for the Calder given that there's no McDavid coming into the league], Daniel, Eriksson, Sutter and Goldobin [big of a long shot but possible]. All I'm saying is a couple of things go right, we pick up a ufa dman and this team could actually be pretty good. Could still use another top 6 centre, but the team could have some potential.

Baer - Bo - Brock

Sedin - Sedin - Goldy

Eriksson - Sutter - Granlund

Virtanen - Gaunce - Dorsett 

Edler - Stetcher

Tanev - Hutton

Gudbrandsen - Holm

Pedan, Biega

Miller

Markstrom

Basisically run the top 3 forward lines the same ice time with the 4th getting a reasonable 10-12 minutes a game as they're capable and it will help with development. Basically anyone in the lineup can move up or down. What the team needs is one true super star, but looking at it right now there's actually quite a bit of depth in my opinion.

On 6/24/2017 at 1:15 AM, GiveEmTheCan said:

Sedin - Sedin - Eriksson

Baertschi - Horvat - Boeser

Granlund - Sutter - Goldobin

Gaunce - Cramarossa - Virtanen

Edler - Stetcher

Gudbranson - Hutton

Juolevi - Tanev

Markstrom

Sedin - Sedin - Goldobin

Baertshi - Horvat - Rodin

Eriksson - Granlund - Boeser

Gaunce - Sutter - Dorset

xxxx

Edler - Stetcher

Hutton - Tanev

Juolevi - Gudbranson

Pedan - Subban

"Sedin, Sedin, Boeser

Baertschi, Horvat, Eriksson

Granlund, Sutter, Megna

Gaunce, Chaput, Dorsett

Cramarossa

Edler, Tanev

Hutton, Gudbranson

Holm, Stecher

Pedan. Biega

Markstrom, Miller

Maybe switch Tanev and Stecher situationally."

Well, one down; how many more to go?

On 2017-06-22 at 5:23 AM, Caniners77 said:

Boesser Horvat Baertchi 

Dahlen Granlund Goldobin

Sedin Sedin Virtanen

Boucher Sutter Eriksson 

Cramarossa (13) 

IR - Dorset, Rodin, Gaunce

Edler Gudbranson

Tanev joulevi 

Hutton Stetcher 

Holm Biega 

Markstrom 

Bacman 

Baertchi Horvat Boeser 

Sedin Sedin Goldobin

Granlund Sutter Eriksson 

UFA/Virtanen Gaunce Dorsett

Edler Tanev

Hutton Gudbranson 

UFA/Pedan - UFA/Holm

Markstrom 

UFA

Baer - Horvat - Boeser

Sedin - Sedin - Goldobin

Granlund - Sutter - Eriksson

Gaunce - UFA - Boucher

Dorsett/Labate

(the pairings are not necessarily in order)

Stetcher - Edler

Hutton - Gudbranson

UFA/Pedan - Tanev

Biega

McEneny

Markstrom

UFA

Not exactly a line up that's gonna set the world on fire, but...if (big if) all healthy for the majority of the year, then I can see a season of 73 points, +/- 3 points; approaching 200 goals scored (but not quite), but even though the D plays somewhat better overall, we give up more (slightly).

Prefer to see Dahlen, Virt and Molino get full playing time in the AHL, along with a possible dark horse for the 4th line - Zack McEwen.

Prefer to see Juolevi get another junior year, mostly to put a few more pounds on while staying in playing shape.

Prefer to see Demko get another AHL year, ending as the #1 down there, ready to come up in the 18-19 season.

On 2017-6-22 at 7:35 AM, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Baer-Bo-Boeser

Daniel- Henrik-Goldy

Granlund- Sutter- Erikksson

Boucher- Gaunce- Dorsett

Edler- Stetcher

Juolevi- Tanev

Hutton- Guddy

Markstrom

Bachman

That's about as good as it gets without signing people.  Sadly, it will be far from enough to keep us out of the basement.

At least we can look forward to watching the kids develop.

7 minutes ago, Knucklehd said:

That's about as good as it gets without signing people.  Sadly, it will be far from enough to keep us out of the basement.

At least we can look forward to watching the kids develop.

At this point, "tanking" isn't really a choice any more. Might as well stay a cellar dweller for another season and land another lottery pick...hopefully resulting in Dahlin, or at the very least one of the high end Dmen that next years draft will be loaded with. 

I'm not too upset though. We have a load of high end prospects that will all likely be knocking at the door over the next couple of years or so (Juolevi, Demko, Pettersson, Dahlen, Lind, Gadjovich, as well as whoever we end up drafting next year), not to mention a great trade chip in Tanev that could land us another big piece or two. 

Next year's gonna suck, no question, but it'll all be worth it in the end.

I think ice time will be pretty much even between the top 3 lines.

Sedin - Sedin - Goldobin

Granlund - Sutter - Eriksson

Dorsett - Gaunce - Boucher

Edler - Stecher

? - Tanev

Hutton - Gudbranson

Markstrom

?

There's a couple of big question marks there. Bachman could be our back-up but the two of them can't split a full season's load alone. They need a veteran who can play 30-40 games comfortably. I'm sure Markstrom could play 30 games really well, 40 games adequately but at 50-60 games he'd start to struggle and his play will drop. As for Bachman, I think we'd get 10 games of great play, 20 games of decent-ish goaltending but at 30+ he'd really struggle too.

On defence, we have Pedan, Biega and Subban right now who will have to be one of our starters which is scary. If I were JB and Green I wouldn't go ruining Juolevi just because of this lack of defensive depth. Sign any UFA to slot them in there. Obviously Kulikov or Alzner would be nice but I doubt they want to play for the worst team in the league, so I'd go after a Franson-type player. Right now we have 5 NHL defencemen and most average teams have about 6 or 7. We really need one more. Injuries will hit, often two at a time, which is when we can rely on say Subban to try and step up, but you don't want that starting the regular season.

Up front I think we're pretty well sorted. Even if Boeser doesn't impress the way he did last season, we've got plenty of wingers who can take his spot. Boeser, Goldobin, Granlund, Baertschi, Eriksson, Boucher and Dahlen are pretty much all interchangeable. If Dahlen is in Utica, I'd have him as our first call up and get him playing with the Sedins. Ideally I'd send him back to the SHL to play on a line with Pettersson. Not the best developmental-wise for Dahlen, but definitely the best for the duo who can move to the AHL next season together and retain that chemistry.

EDIT: Forgot about Holm but I really hope they don't expect him to play top-4 minutes.

16 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

At this point, "tanking" isn't really a choice any more. Might as well stay a cellar dweller for another season and land another lottery pick...hopefully resulting in Dahlin, or at the very least one of the high end Dmen that next years draft will be loaded with. 

I'm not too upset though. We have a load of high end prospects that will all likely be knocking at the door over the next couple of years or so (Juolevi, Demko, Pettersson, Dahlen, Lind, Gadjovich, as well as whoever we end up drafting next year), not to mention a great trade chip in Tanev that could land us another big piece or two. 

Next year's gonna suck, no question, but it'll all be worth it in the end.

Exactly, I don't think we have a choice, I think we'll just suck badly. Most important thing of the season will be professionalism, work on individual skills and maintain a good attitude. If we play well defensively as an entire unit/team then that will work as a good foundation for 3-5 years time down the line.

As for the pick, we're guaranteed a top-10 pick for sure if not top-5 again and there are plenty of good puck moving defencemen projected to go in the top-10 next season. We'll see how their years all pan out but Dahlin is obviously the natural first defenceman to go. 

(without trades/signings)

Daniel - Henrik - Eriksson

Granlund - Sutter - Goldobin

Gaunce - Molino - Virtanen

Edler - Stetcher

Hutton - Tanev

Pedan - Gudbranson

Markstrom

Demko

(with trades/signings)

Daniel - Henrik - Eriksson

Granlund - Sutter - Goldobin/???

Gaunce - ??? - Virtanen

Edler - Tanev

Hutton - Gudbranson

??? - Stetcher

Markstrom

???

C - Pirri?

RW/LW - Yakupov?

D - Franson?

G - Mason?

To me, our lines dont look too bad.  I realize we had trouble scoring last season and the lineups are similar, but there are positives.

1) Younger guys from last season should be generally at least a bit improved.  Points per game should be up for Horvat, Baertschi, Goldobin, Granlund, Gaunce.

2) I think Boeser will be impressive for his age and basically his rookie season

3) We actually have a little extra depth in Utica if required.  This means we may see a further injection of youth through the year.

4) Chance for Virtanen to be an impact player

5) In not expecting much from Loui, but it is likely he will improve from last season.

6) 

Negatives:

1) No Tryamkin nor Sbisa.  We absolutely lost some size and should bring in a legitimate nhl ufa as a result.  Still, not major losses imo.

2) Possible Sedins may be even less effective.

3) Looks like Miller may be on his way out.  He did win some games for us last season.  With that said, there are still available ufa goalies who are capable of similar (or perhaps even better) stats.

Then of course there is the coaching change.  This can go either way, but with the amount of complaining on CDC about WD, you gotta assume this is more likely to be a positive.

All in all I would say it is highly likely this is a noticeably better team compared to last.  Good?  Nope.  But better.  Nobody from fans to experts seem to be expecting anything from Vancouver so any improvement is a plus, and another year of treading water means another year closer to our best prospects being ready to show us what they can do.

2 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

Sign Sam Gagner 

Beartchi Horvat Granlund

Sedin Sedin Boesser 

Bouchier Gagner Eriksson

Gaunce  Sutter  Goldobin

Chaput Moligno

Edler Stetcher

Hutton Tanev 

Holm Gudbranson 

Juolevi Biega 

Markstrom

That would have to be the 'softest' group of forwards ever assembled on a Vancouver Canucks team...Besides Horvat,I don't see a single player that would elicit any worrying thoughts from an opposing D...

Archived