The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

Pettersson will be good. But until he hits NHL ice, everything is up in the air, there are no gaurantees. 

However, based off of his demolishing of the SHL, he's projected to be a top six forward (first line forward, even?). But let's no get carried away. McDavid by far, is probably the best player in the NHL, and he's going to get better as he gains more experience, and when he's given an actual supporting cast to play with. 

Pettersson will be a good player, imo. But whether he's going to be challenging McDavid, or even better than him? I love Elias as much as the next fan, but might be a stretch. Though, I wouldn't mind be proven wrong :) ^_^

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, NHL'er said:

Being Realistic - Nicklas Backstrom as a Comparable 

I think Nicklas Backstrom's career trajectory is the closest recent and realistic comparable for EP.

NB was drafted 4th overall 2006. EP was drafted 5th overall 2017. Both had dominant draft + 1 seasons in the SHL. NB is also one of the players EP models his game after. 

Similar success at the WJC U20s, and both were amongst the youngest players to play for the Swedish World Championship teams. Backstrom had more success at the World Championships but this was arguably due to EP's injury and much longer playoff run (where he had more success than NB). 

NB's draft + 1 season:

EP's draft + 1 season: 

SHL Best Plus/Minus (+27) SHL Champion SHL Forward of the Year SHL Most Goals by Junior (24) SHL Most Points (56) SHL Most Points by Junior (56) SHL Most Valuable Player SHL Playoffs MVP (Stefan Liv Memorial Trophy) SHL Rookie of the Year Swedish Forward of the Year U20 WJC Silver Medal World Championship Gold Medal

NB in his draft + 2 season, came in and took the league by storm and the rest has been history.

2007-08 6.png Washington Capitals NHL 82 14 55 69 24

2008-09 6.png Washington Capitals NHL 82 22 66 88 46 16
2009-10 6.png Washington Capitals NHL 82 33 68 101 50 37

Analysis

Sure EP performed much better in the SHL and the SHL playoffs than NB but we should note some key differences:

1. NB played as a first line centre whilst EP played largely as a second line winger in their draft +1 SHL seasons.

2. Both had dominant junior seasons with their respective SHL teams, great WJCs and impressive WCs as 19 year olds.

3. Both were highly touted Swedish future stars and highly drafted prospects. NB was arguably a bit more hyped because of his draft season success.  

4. Washington in NB's rookie season had a team that finished first in the Southeast Division and had 94 points. Much to my chagrin, this won't be likely for the Canucks. 

5. NB  got to play with Ovechkin who had his magical 65 goal year that year. We have Boeser and as much as I love the guy I don't think BB6 will get 65 goals next season. They also had Mike Green who was coming into his prime on the backend. 

What do I think this means for EP?
EP will have no trouble contributing in the NHL next season. Statistically he has outperformed NB in his respective draft + 1 year but this does not mean he will outscore or necessarily even match NB's 69 points next season because the 07/08 Caps team had a generational goal scorer in Ovechkin and an amazing up and coming group. 

EP also did not play centre in the SHL this past year. He may have a bit more difficulty in the NHL if he is also to transition to that position this year. If EP can stay healthy for most of the NHL season, I see no reason why EP can't match or outperform Hischier's 52 points. Thus I realistically see EP scoring 50-60 points in his rookie season in a "transition" year for him. Within the next two seasons however, he should take a giant leap much like NB did and blossom into a star sooner rather than later.

Lastly, I don't think the weight and size issues will be as much a factor as people make it out to be given that EP has shown he could hold his own against men both in the SHL and the WCs. Furthermore, Hischier came in at around 168 lbs and still had success. Over time, could EP have more success than NB? Sure, why not. But in the near future, until he makes his NHL debut, I'll be more than happy if EP can have a career as successful as NB's. 

What I think this means for the Canucks

We will reach the finals and win the Cup in 2026-2027. 

:towel:

It is clearly June.

• Wat 1

17 hours ago, old guy said:

Someone recently said that Pettersson is not McDavid. Well yes, McDavid has talents that EP doesn't have. He's bigger and skates faster and accelerates quicker than just about anyone and his ability to create separation with his skating gets him space and time that results in points others wouldn't get and EP won't get.

But EP has talents McDavid doesn't have. He seems to be more maneuverable in tight and  even though McDavid processes the game quickly I think EP processes it even quicker. Ep's hockey IQ seems about as good as I have seen and his awareness in all zones seems better than McDavid. And he plays with a tenacity all over the ice that I don't see in the other guy. Then there is his shot and sense of when and how to use it where he is better.

So EP will get his points his own way. Of course the caveat is that he hasn't done anything yet at the NHL level. True, but he has also been playing at a higher level than McDavid prior to coming into the NHL. Some guys when they come into the league are swamped by the higher level of play and sink. I think EP has the type of talent that will benefit from playing alongside more skill and pace as it will augment his own extraordinary abilities. I'm guessing that he will do more than just fine.

EP appears to have the separation, also the agility & lateral movement. All while handling the puck with his head up.  

Nobody has McDavids top speed. And until someone does, we wont know if they can also make plays at McDavids speed? Which de does as well.  But EP makes plays at his speed, and his lateral movement & puck handling look aaaawwwffuuully good to me.  They may be on par or better than McDavid? It looked like it, albeit playing against a level down competition. That may make up some of the difference... 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, CanuckGAME said:

.Wtf am I reading?

McDavid is the best hockey player in the WORLD.  Why are you comparing Elias Pettersson to the back to back Art Ross winner?

Elias is going to have a great career of his own,  but come on dude.  That post is just so delusional if you think Elias has played at a higher level than Mcdavid prior to NHL play.  Keep in mind Mcdavid played immediately after being drafted and put up over PPG numbers.

Legit one of the most bizarre posts ive ever read.  Says Elias processes the game at a higher level than  Connor ****ing McDavid 

tenor.gif?itemid=7506930

I have watched Connor since he has come into the league. He is a great player, And back to back art ross trophy winner. Elias will be better at getting points. And where is Connor when games matter? He was like 10 th in scoring until Edmonton was eliminated from the play-offs, Then he gets points when teams let their foot off the gas. WC hockey where was his leadership? Ferarro said it best describing young players. Do they put up points when the game counts. Elias will be in his own class as he has been in the last three years. he would have been first over all if he was 180 lbs. We can be thank-ful he wasn't. But I doubt McDavid could have done what Elias did in the SHL at 19 against men. McDavid has mailed it in when it counts so far, And in that I am disappointed. But watching McDavid he is closer to a Pavel Bure than a Wayne Gretzky. And Elias is closer to a Wayne Gretzky then a Pavel Bure. Not running either down. You make it sound like McDavid has run away with goal scoring and points. My recolition has him getting lots of points when the games didn't matter. Anyways laugh all you want Elias is coming so McDavid can get one maybe two more Art Ross trophies . And it will be his  last because McDavid has to be at top speed to get points Where as Elias has more all end Talent. And nothing to be ashamed of he is not Canadian, so we havn't seen as much as Elias. So listen to the Swedes. "Elias is coming" and he is still young will get faster.

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 2

20 hours ago, reyezone said:

The bottom line is: we don’t know. 

Look at Barzal. His ability to skate and make plays in traffic led to a very succesful campaign. But on the other hand, the Sedins started slow and needed years to develop their game. We just don’t know.... but one thing seems certain, the league has never been so well suited for young, light, fast and skilled players to pay immediate dividends.  

I’m remaining cautiously optimistic! 

The only comparison Daniel and Henrik have to Elias is Sweden. They we're slow. Had each other. they needed each other because they lacked the skill s a single player would develop Daniel could snipe and Henrik relied on passing to him.  Elias will have Brock that's going to be 30 points right there. And expect him to get 20 goals. This is not a junior player that is going to learn to play against men

. he looked awesome at the wc. Expect the same at the NHL. In 25 years only Pavel Bure have I been this excited about. And watching EP's highlight clips he is all that and more. More highlight reel goals in one year than many get in a lifetime. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NHL'er said:

Being Realistic - Nicklas Backstrom as a Comparable 

I think Nicklas Backstrom's career trajectory is the closest recent and realistic comparable for EP.

NB was drafted 4th overall 2006. EP was drafted 5th overall 2017. Both had dominant draft + 1 seasons in the SHL. NB is also one of the players EP models his game after. 

Similar success at the WJC U20s, and both were amongst the youngest players to play for the Swedish World Championship teams. Backstrom had more success at the World Championships but this was arguably due to EP's injury and much longer playoff run (where he had more success than NB). 

NB's draft + 1 season:

EP's draft + 1 season: 

SHL Best Plus/Minus (+27) SHL Champion SHL Forward of the Year SHL Most Goals by Junior (24) SHL Most Points (56) SHL Most Points by Junior (56) SHL Most Valuable Player SHL Playoffs MVP (Stefan Liv Memorial Trophy) SHL Rookie of the Year Swedish Forward of the Year U20 WJC Silver Medal World Championship Gold Medal

NB in his draft + 2 season, came in and took the league by storm and the rest has been history.

2007-08 6.png Washington Capitals NHL 82 14 55 69 24

2008-09 6.png Washington Capitals NHL 82 22 66 88 46 16
2009-10 6.png Washington Capitals NHL 82 33 68 101 50 37

Analysis

Sure EP performed much better in the SHL and the SHL playoffs than NB but we should note some key differences:

1. NB played as a first line centre whilst EP played largely as a second line winger in their draft +1 SHL seasons.

2. Both had dominant junior seasons with their respective SHL teams, great WJCs and impressive WCs as 19 year olds.

3. Both were highly touted Swedish future stars and highly drafted prospects. NB was arguably a bit more hyped because of his draft season success.  

4. Washington in NB's rookie season had a team that finished first in the Southeast Division and had 94 points. Much to my chagrin, this won't be likely for the Canucks. 

5. NB  got to play with Ovechkin who had his magical 65 goal year that year. We have Boeser and as much as I love the guy I don't think BB6 will get 65 goals next season. They also had Mike Green who was coming into his prime on the backend. 

What do I think this means for EP?
EP will have no trouble contributing in the NHL next season. Statistically he has outperformed NB in his respective draft + 1 year but this does not mean he will outscore or necessarily even match NB's 69 points next season because the 07/08 Caps team had a generational goal scorer in Ovechkin and an amazing up and coming group. 

EP also did not play centre in the SHL this past year. He may have a bit more difficulty in the NHL if he is also to transition to that position this year. If EP can stay healthy for most of the NHL season, I see no reason why EP can't match or outperform Hischier's 52 points. Thus I realistically see EP scoring 50-60 points in his rookie season in a "transition" year for him. Within the next two seasons however, he should take a giant leap much like NB did and blossom into a star sooner rather than later.

Lastly, I don't think the weight and size issues will be as much a factor as people make it out to be given that EP has shown he could hold his own against men both in the SHL and the WCs. Furthermore, Hischier came in at around 168 lbs and still had success. Over time, could EP have more success than NB? Sure, why not. But in the near future, until he makes his NHL debut, I'll be more than happy if EP can have a career as successful as NB's. 

What I think this means for the Canucks

We will reach the finals and win the Cup in 2026-2027. 

:towel:

Great players tread their own path. And that's why you can't find a closer comparison. Elias is making his own path and isn't bound to the limitations of the players he has passed along the way. Kinda like Peter Forsberg. Swedish players have always escaped central scouting and that's why their have been some gems. Elias draft plus 2 year will be in the NHL, 

On ‎2018‎-‎06‎-‎06 at 1:19 PM, Rob_Zepp said:

The NHL is hard.  I hope your optimism is rewarded.

Its not like many on CDC over valuing players non-stop. I have publicly called good thing s for Elias from Sept, and have seen generational talent since Jan. And he hasn't slowed or looked out of place.  At the WC I thought he looked weak and tired at first and he found another gear against lots of NHL competition. And another breakaway where he was flat out fast. ( something he has improved in this year his top end speed. The Sedins where scared to play against men. Something Elias has not shown any signs of. 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, cory40 said:

Its not like many on CDC over valuing players non-stop. I have publicly called good thing s for Elias from Sept, and have seen generational talent since Jan. And he hasn't slowed or looked out of place.  At the WC I thought he looked weak and tired at first and he found another gear against lots of NHL competition. And another breakaway where he was flat out fast. ( something he has improved in this year his top end speed. The Sedins where scared to play against men. Something Elias has not shown any signs of. 

:blink:

• Upvote 1

It looks like I stepped on the toes of some McDavid fans with my last post. I didn't intend to disparage McDavid or suggest that Pettersson will be better than him. Clearly we'll have to wait and see what EP becomes. I was only pointing out that in certain areas EP has abilities that exceed those of McDavid in that area.

What perplexes me is the degree of the skepticism some people have towards EP and the under-appreciation of his level of talent. When someone dominates the Swedish elite league in his first year at 19 years of age, that signals a superior and elite level of talent and to me is much more impressive than starring in JuniorA in your third year(not referring to McDavid specifically here).

My own eyeball test tells me that EP will do well in the NHL and within a couple of years will be the Canuck's leading point-getter whether he tops out at 70 points or wins scoring titles with around 120 points. I don't offer any opinion on this.

I think that with the way EP plays and with his particular skill set, his effectiveness is enhanced synergistically when playing with better players and I think that the faster pace in the NHL dovetails nicely with his quick-processing, reactive and instinctive way of playing.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, aGENT said:

'Most skilled' perhaps? He's RIDICULOUSLY 'toolsy'. And he's certainly younger than Crosby, so he's got more years left.

But nobody presently beats Crosby's overall combo of skill, determination, 2 way play and plain old championship pedigree. If I'm building a team from scratch to win a cup next year, he's head and shoulders the first player I pick to be on that team.

Not even close.

Right.  The other issue with McDavid is that he is a money vacuum.  He sucks up so much cap space on the team that between him, Draisatl, and Lucic there is hardly any room for a supporting cast.  Just look at Las Vegas for what you can do when the talent is spread out over four lines.  Take the third or fourth best forward on thirty teams, the third or fourth best D from 30 teams; put them on one team, and you have Las Vegas

5 hours ago, cory40 said:

The only comparison Daniel and Henrik have to Elias is Sweden. They we're slow. Had each other. they needed each other because they lacked the skill s a single player would develop Daniel could snipe and Henrik relied on passing to him.  Elias will have Brock that's going to be 30 points right there. And expect him to get 20 goals. This is not a junior player that is going to learn to play against men

. he looked awesome at the wc. Expect the same at the NHL. In 25 years only Pavel Bure have I been this excited about. And watching EP's highlight clips he is all that and more. More highlight reel goals in one year than many get in a lifetime. 

Your last couple posts pointing out EPs skills were good...but when you start disparaging our two HHOF players I start to tune out as it seems you have a narrative to push... FYI.

• Upvote 2