The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, Deathrowe said:

https://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2017/5/28/15706426/elias-pettersson-and-the-myth-of-the-two-horse-race

Feel like i want to post this each year. Not sure who this Leaf blogger is but he nailed it a month before the 2017 draft. Happy that we ended up being the ones to take the chance on this lanky superstar.

Wow.. great analysis. This guy should be hired.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Deathrowe said:

https://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2017/5/28/15706426/elias-pettersson-and-the-myth-of-the-two-horse-race

Feel like i want to post this each year. Not sure who this Leaf blogger is but he nailed it a month before the 2017 draft. Happy that we ended up being the ones to take the chance on this lanky superstar.

Never gets old reading that ;-)

• Upvote 1

the 2017 draft is a very strong draft tbh.. while Patrick and Hischier isn't as great as they were touted to be they are still good players.. and while we are all gushing for pettersson and calling him the best player of the draft. i still say Dallas would have taken Heiskanen and colorado will still taken Makar over Pettersson in a redraft stud defenseman don't grow on trees and both of them especially heiskanen have all the making of a future norris candidate and Makar looking every bit as impressive as Hughes if not better.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

the 2017 draft is a very strong draft tbh.. while Patrick and Hischier isn't as great as they were touted to be they are still good players.. and while we are all gushing for pettersson and calling him the best player of the draft. i still say Dallas would have taken Heiskanen and colorado will still taken Makar over Pettersson in a redraft stud defenseman don't grow on trees and both of them especially heiskanen have all the making of a future norris candidate and Makar looking every bit as impressive as Hughes if not better.

I can agree and disagree with that you also got to think Pettersson possesses many game change ability that many teams would desire to have on their roster but not taking anything away from MH or Makar, only time will tell

46 minutes ago, Dats hockey said:

I can agree and disagree with that you also got to think Pettersson possesses many game change ability that many teams would desire to have on their roster but not taking anything away from MH or Makar, only time will tell

yes i'll agree Pettersson have some game changing ability, but the playoff proves once again.. you need to be strong skilled and fast. not just skilled and fast, all the skilled and fast player are all completely shutdown and eliminated. the skilled and fast player mid 0 impact in all the rounds of the playoff so far. Gaudreau, Stamkos, kucherov, panarin, duchene, barzal, marner, they were all useless in their series lost. mostly shutdown if not completely shutdown

On 5/7/2019 at 5:51 PM, wai_lai416 said:

17 hours ago, Dats hockey said:

In a redraft Pettersson wouldn't be there for Dallas and Colorado to take.  He's a clear step above Hischier and Patrick and would be drafted in their spots instead.

In fact, it's almost certain that Pettersson would go #1.  Teams don't usually take a defenseman #1 unless they're much better than the best forward.  If a forward is projected to be top line material, they always come out ahead, like Tavares vs Hedman, Stamkos vs Doughty, MacKinnon vs Jones or even Yakupov vs Murray.  Defensemen tend to go first in weak forward crop years -- Johnson vs Staal, Ekblad vs Reinhart, Dahlin vs Svechnikov.  

Anyhow, a redraft would likely see a Pettersson - Heiskanen - Makar - Hischier top four.  At this point, I'm not sure I'd take Patrick over Brannstrom and Glass, and probably a few of Necas, Thomas, Chytil, Jokiharju, and Tolvanen will turn out to be better as well.  Even Comtois and Poehling may have the same upside as Patrick.     

Only goes to show, always draft for high ceiling and not high floor with the top picks.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

17 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

yes i'll agree Pettersson have some game changing ability, but the playoff proves once again.. you need to be strong skilled and fast. not just skilled and fast, all the skilled and fast player are all completely shutdown and eliminated. the skilled and fast player mid 0 impact in all the rounds of the playoff so far. Gaudreau, Stamkos, kucherov, panarin, duchene, barzal, marner, they were all useless in their series lost. mostly shutdown if not completely shutdown

Completely disappear lol plenty of smaller skilled players have had great playoffs

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

17 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

I tend to agree, a little. 

CAR's and SJ's smallest player is 5'11"

STL's smallest is 5'10"

but

BOS has Marchand and Krug who are 5'9" (damn Daniel, you should've hit him back)

• Like 1

18 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

Panarin was useless?

He had 3g 3a in 6gp in the Boston series and was over a ppg in the tampa series.

Midget gaudreau sucked but was expected, that loser only looks at the refs for help 

• Cheers 1

On 5/7/2019 at 9:51 AM, Deathrowe said:

I am literally in awe that a leafs blogger not only was so bang on with the whole article but the fact that he had the balls in a Leafs article to say him and AM would be fighting for art ross trophy one day blows me away. After reading the usual 50 articles a day by the like of luke Fox or any other SP hacks. All I can say is this guy not just because he nailed it with EP, but also had the smarts to say the first 2 picks were never going to warrant their status. This is the type of blogger who deserves to replace hacks like Kypryos and the other idiots on the SP panel. Oh, and can we officially put Cherry in a home> I get his hatred for Euros, but you don't let that influence your decision when it comes to a reward that a 26-year-old rookie who played 32 games and just happens to play for a new coach who preaches defense. Put him on our team when Edler and Tanev are down and let's see how he enjoys poo Hutton Biega and some AHL call-ups.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

10 hours ago, GoldenAlien said:

In a redraft Pettersson wouldn't be there for Dallas and Colorado to take.  He's a clear step above Hischier and Patrick and would be drafted in their spots instead.

In fact, it's almost certain that Pettersson would go #1.  Teams don't usually take a defenseman #1 unless they're much better than the best forward.  If a forward is projected to be top line material, they always come out ahead, like Tavares vs Hedman, Stamkos vs Doughty, MacKinnon vs Jones or even Yakupov vs Murray.  Defensemen tend to go first in weak forward crop years -- Johnson vs Staal, Ekblad vs Reinhart, Dahlin vs Svechnikov.  

Anyhow, a redraft would likely see a Pettersson - Heiskanen - Makar - Hischier top four.  At this point, I'm not sure I'd take Patrick over Brannstrom and Glass, and probably a few of Necas, Thomas, Chytil, Jokiharju, and Tolvanen will turn out to be better as well.  Even Comtois and Poehling may have the same upside as Patrick.     

Only goes to show, always draft for high ceiling and not high floor with the top picks.

I think that's something that the teams have learnt over the years as well. Go for high ceiling rather than high floor with a top 10 pick.

I hope we take someone with high ceiling as opposed to someone with high floor In this draft.

3 hours ago, youngguns19 said:

I am literally in awe that a leafs blogger not only was so bang on with the whole article but the fact that he had the balls in a Leafs article to say him and AM would be fighting for art ross trophy one day blows me away. After reading the usual 50 articles a day by the like of luke Fox or any other SP hacks. All I can say is this guy not just because he nailed it with EP, but also had the smarts to say the first 2 picks were never going to warrant their status. This is the type of blogger who deserves to replace hacks like Kypryos and the other idiots on the SP panel. Oh, and can we officially put Cherry in a home> I get his hatred for Euros, but you don't let that influence your decision when it comes to a reward that a 26-year-old rookie who played 32 games and just happens to play for a new coach who preaches defense. Put him on our team when Edler and Tanev are down and let's see how he enjoys poo Hutton Biega and some AHL call-ups.

I wish i could like this more times

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, khay said:

I think that's something that the teams have learnt over the years as well. Go for high ceiling rather than high floor with a top 10 pick.

I hope we take someone with high ceiling as opposed to someone with high floor In this draft.

You could argue Bo Horvat was a high floor type player picked in the range we will be picking.  Formula of high character high skill is the route to go.

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, flat land fish said:

You could argue Bo Horvat was a high floor type player picked in the range we will be picking.  Formula of high character high skill is the route to go.

Bo is a huge body too.  Much of Bo's success is because he's so big.  High IQ, Big boy, and elite skill.    

EP will be on a line with William Nylander and Hornqvist from the Penguins when WC starts today. 

Will be interesting to see as Hornqvist is the kind of player (tough, creates space, goes to the net) many want to see with EP. 

23 hours ago, GoldenAlien said:

What's up with this conundrum over smaller skilled players?  Pettersson is 6'2".  The average NHL player is 6'1".  Unlike Gaudreau, or Kucherov, or Marner, he's not small, just skinny.

It's been widely reported that he hit a growth spurt at 17.  But let's see his progression over the years.  For the 2014-2015 season, he was listed at 176cm, 56kg by Timra.  That's 5'9", 123lbs, for his 16 year old season:

http://stats.swehockey.se/Teams/Info/TeamRoster/5780

By April 2016, at the U18s, he was listed at 6'1", 152 lbs.  He was 17 years old at the time:

http://u18worlds2016.iihf.com/en/games/2016-04-21/SWE-vs-SVK/

In June 2017, he measured 6'1.75", 165lbs at the NHL Combine.

By September 2018, he was 6'2", 176lbs.

Pettersson's older brother, Emil, was listed at 6'1", 158lbs by Central Scouting in his second draft eligible year (he went undrafted at 18).  By the time he was 22, the SHL listed him at 6'2", 176lbs.  He was listed at 185lbs last season in the AHL, when he was 24.    

Elias is a late bloomer who's still catching up to his height.  Jankowski was also noted for his late growth spurt.  He checked into the 2012 NHL combine at 6'2.5", 168lbs.  The AHL All-Star game in 2017 listed him at 6'4", 215lbs.  Not to say that Pettersson will also put on 40+lbs, but why wouldn't he be 6'2", 190 -195lbs in a couple years?  He's put on 10+lbs every year since he hit his growth spurt and is easily ahead of his brother at the same age. 

Sutter is 6'3", 190lbs.  Simmonds is 6'2", 185lbs.  They're pretty lean, but no one would ever call them small players.

I had not seen a post on EP40's weight before. :ph34r:

It is a revelation that kids still grow and put on muscle mass past their teen years for some I guess.   You could also have put up Peter Forsberg's stats - he was not much heavier than EP at same age and ended up being a horse.