The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2018 NHL Entry Draft

Zfetch

2 hours ago, Odd. said:

Would rather take a defenseman like Rasmus Sandin and Bode Wilde, or forwards like Serron Noel (could be a major faller), Dominic Bokk, Martin Kaut, or even Filip Hallander before him.

Doubt Wilde is there and Sandin I'd be on board with! Same with Kaut or Bokk 

Based on how good I think they'll be in their prime, here's how I rank the top prospects:

1. Rasmus Dahlin - 60-80 points, great defensively, Norris caliber dman. Comparable: Hedman is the best I can think of but Dahlin is pretty unique

2. Filip Zadina - It's been too long since I've seen a list with Zadina at #2, and my opinion of him hasn't changed. 70-85 points, clutch playoff performer, great leader, face of a franchise. Comparable: Vladimir Tarasenko, Dany Heatley in his prime

3. Andrei Svechnikov - 70-90 points, still a good playoff performer but not at Zadina's level, franchise winger. Comparable: Evgeni Malkin as a winger, Rick Nash before he sucked

4. Quinn Hughes - 50-65 points, slightly above average defensively, #1 dman. Comparable: Shayne Gostisbehere, Kris Letang

5. Adam Boqvist - 50-65 points, slightly below average defensively, #1 dman. Comparable: John Klingberg, Dan Boyle

6. Jesperi Kotkaniemi - 60-70 points, good defensively, low-end #1 center. Comparable: a mix between Anze Kopitar and Mikael Granlund

7. Ty Smith - 40-45 points, good defensively, great leader, low-end #1 dman. Comparable: a slightly more offensive-minded Dan Hamhuis (although I think Hamhuis's offensive game was underrated), TJ Brodie

8. Brady Tkachuk - 55-65 points, great all-around player, intangibles, etc., low-end top line winger. Comparable: Gabriel Landeskog, Jaden Schwartz

9. Noah Dobson - 30-35 points, great defensively, top pairing dman. Comparable: Colton Parayko, Erik Johnson

10. Joel Farabee - 50-60 points, hard worker, good 2nd line winger. Comparable: Zach Parise, Marcus Johansson

11. Joe Veleno - 45-55 points, good defensively, above average 2nd line center. Comparable: Mikko Koivu, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins

12. Oliver Wahlstrom - 45-55 points, talented but not the greatest team player, 2nd line winger. Comparable: TJ Oshie without the defense and tenacity, Charlie Coyle

The more I think of it, the more Boqvist seems like a Benning pick... can rip the puck real good, real smart player, not to mention one of the youngest (the youngest?) in the draft, grew a bunch before the combine, fills a huge organizational hole, played in the lower tier swedish leagues... essentially he is Pettersson on D!

2 hours ago, Time Lord said:

Based on how good I think they'll be in their prime, here's how I rank the top prospects:

1. Rasmus Dahlin - 60-80 points, great defensively, Norris caliber dman. Comparable: Hedman is the best I can think of but Dahlin is pretty unique

2. Filip Zadina - It's been too long since I've seen a list with Zadina at #2, and my opinion of him hasn't changed. 70-85 points, clutch playoff performer, great leader, face of a franchise. Comparable: Vladimir Tarasenko, Dany Heatley in his prime

3. Andrei Svechnikov - 70-90 points, still a good playoff performer but not at Zadina's level, franchise winger. Comparable: Evgeni Malkin as a winger, Rick Nash before he sucked

4. Quinn Hughes - 50-65 points, slightly above average defensively, #1 dman. Comparable: Shayne Gostisbehere, Kris Letang

5. Adam Boqvist - 50-65 points, slightly below average defensively, #1 dman. Comparable: John Klingberg, Dan Boyle

6. Jesperi Kotkaniemi - 60-70 points, good defensively, low-end #1 center. Comparable: a mix between Anze Kopitar and Mikael Granlund

7. Ty Smith - 40-45 points, good defensively, great leader, low-end #1 dman. Comparable: a slightly more offensive-minded Dan Hamhuis (although I think Hamhuis's offensive game was underrated), TJ Brodie

8. Brady Tkachuk - 55-65 points, great all-around player, intangibles, etc., low-end top line winger. Comparable: Gabriel Landeskog, Jaden Schwartz

9. Noah Dobson - 30-35 points, great defensively, top pairing dman. Comparable: Colton Parayko, Erik Johnson

10. Joel Farabee - 50-60 points, hard worker, good 2nd line winger. Comparable: Zach Parise, Marcus Johansson

11. Joe Veleno - 45-55 points, good defensively, above average 2nd line center. Comparable: Mikko Koivu, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins

12. Oliver Wahlstrom - 45-55 points, talented but not the greatest team player, 2nd line winger. Comparable: TJ Oshie without the defense and tenacity, Charlie Coyle

What would your reaction be if we took Bouchard?

6 hours ago, R3aL said:

How would everyone feel if we traded Tanev for the 25th overall pick and took Nils Lundqvist?

Let's say this happens, although I doubt Toronto does this straight up. Maybe Granlund (to replace Bozak) and Tanev for the 25th and a prospect (Nielsen). 

Then, I wouldn't mind trading the newly acquired 25th and our 7th to the Islanders for their 11th and 12th selections. Draft Smith and one of Veleno, Farabee, Lunderstrom or Hayton.

On ‎20‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 5:29 PM, Zoolander said:

Kapanen + 1st in 2019 then.

but you'll be disappointed. -_-

Two late firsts effectively?

Kapanen, who might be the fastest guy on our team, has learned to kill penalties?

I would take that if it were offered. And I'm not in the trade Tanev camp...

On 2018-06-19 at 8:40 PM, guntrix said:

We're both looking at this from different sides of the coin. While you see this as Bouchard succeeding with little support, I see this as Bouchard getting the golden ticket to pad stats by playing roughly 30 minutes a game (with PP time) in the high-scoring OHL. It's almost impossible to not put up big numbers. Although it's no fault of his own, I'm sure many draft elegible defenders would pounce at the opportunity to slot into Bouchard's situation. 

It's nice to watch his low lights and highlights, but I believe it's much easier to form an opinion by watching some of his games in order to have a better understanding as to what people mean when they say that his skating is awkward, as well as his teammate and deployment situation. Regarding his health, sure, he probably endured some fatigue, although I'm not a fan of speculating about unconfirmed injuries as it gives players an excuse for certain shortcomings. And finally, of course it's a possibility that he improves his skating. All of these players that we're talking about also have the possibility of improving their weaknesses as we're ultimately talking about teenagers. At the end of the day, it's about who ends up being a better player down the line, and I think there are other candidates in our draft area with much higher ceilings. 

Excellent response. 

We do both want the same thing and have different takes. Let’s both hope that the folks paid to make the picks get it right.  

EmW

The Canucks, on the other hand, had just 70 primary points from their defence, ahead of only the Detroit Red Wings. The bottom 10 teams in primary points from defencemen all missed the playoffs. In order to win in the NHL, particularly as the pace of the game gets faster, you need puck-moving, point-producing defencemen.

We don't need to draft D men do we?  :rolleyes:

23 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

The Canucks, on the other hand, had just 70 primary points from their defence, ahead of only the Detroit Red Wings. The bottom 10 teams in primary points from defencemen all missed the playoffs. In order to win in the NHL, particularly as the pace of the game gets faster, you need puck-moving, point-producing defencemen.

Only two d men drafted in the first round in 10 years. The only one prior to that that sticks out was Ohlund. Our lack of top end defenders is our Achilles heel. It is the catalyst for offence and transition. 

I cannot agree more with the evidence that our defence is the weakest part of our team moving forward.  

One more sleep ladies and gents. One more sleep.  I'm going to sleep long and hard to lol.  I'm running on 22 hours of sleep since Sunday. Zzzzz sleep sounds lovely right about now lol.  I'm glad I booked tomorrow off.

10-12 hours of sleep inbound for me tonight. If I don't nap first. One more ladies and gents! It is almost time! 

maxresdefault.jpg

On 6/12/2018 at 5:39 PM, shiznak said:

Came across a very interesting article the other day. Thought it would be a good read. 

http://soupsonhockey.com/2018/06/06/2018-nhl-draft-joe-veleno-vs-andrei-svechnikov/

This would be my blog and I appreciate you sharing it and reading it with an open mind!  I don't expect to change minds or many people to agree with it, just simply where I'm coming from on those two players.  For the record, I've got my latest and final top 75 prospects list out this morning, and a final mock draft coming out tomorrow morning if any of you would like to check it out!  Always appreciate the feedback, even if negative, I just ask that its respectful.

On 6/12/2018 at 6:35 PM, R3aL said:

Just an anti Russian blog rant imo

Anti Russian, that's why I loved both Provorov and Sergachev in their drafts?  That's why Ovy is one of my favourite players, and I sung the praises of Kuznetsov all playoff long?  Its not my fault that Russian forwards are being poorly evaluated in the draft.  Since 2004 (Ovy/Malkin), 0 for 6 in the top 15, 3 for 13 in the first round.  That's alarming for kids being drafted that high.  Not once did I say anything about not drafting them, I just would be leery of drafting them too high...much the same as I'd be leery of drafting a goaltender too high.  Does that make me anti goaltender?

On 6/12/2018 at 6:58 PM, Canuck Surfer said:

LOL, he categorized only Tarasenko as a sniper. Panarin, Kucherov, Kuznetsov as pure playmakers.

Those boys can all flat out score!

But in any case, they still hold great value.

It should have no bearing on Svechnikov.

The term "pure playmaker" doesn't mean they can't shoot the puck or score goals.  When I say that, I mean these are pass first guys and they're all terrific at it.  Yes, they can score.  I never once said they can't score goals.

8 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

To those users who are interested in reading the "Do not draft list":

https://thehockeywriters.com/2018-nhl-do-not-draft-list/

To his credit the writer was right about Kostin and Mittelstädt sliding down in the last years draft.

thats interesting, he would let Tkachuk drop several spots and Bouchard drop out of the top 10...  I wouldn't be surprised if Tkachuk is available to us at 7.

1 hour ago, Canuck Surfer said:

JB is fully aware of the fact that Canucks need to draft D-Men:

Here is Jim's quote:

Many think the Canucks have to target a defenceman, and there will be several good ones available. But Benning is adamant the team is open to taking a forward who can solve the Canucks’ biggest ongoing crisis, and that’s a lack of scoring.

“There’s good depth in the draft this year for defencemen, so our strategy this year is to take the best player in the first round,” Benning said.

“If it’s a defenceman, we’ll take one. But there’s enough depth this year that if we don’t get a defenceman with our first-round pick then maybe with our second-round pick, one of the guys we really like is going to be there and we can get a guy then.”

Fully agree that Canucks don't necessarily need to draft a D-Man with their first. If they feel that they could get their guy in the second round everything is wonderful.

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

thats interesting, he would let Tkachuk drop several spots and Bouchard drop out of the top 10...  I wouldn't be surprised if Tkachuk is available to us at 7.

Montreal Canadiens news and notes

• If it’s true that “the draft starts at #3,” there are a lot of eyes on who the Canadiens take, and many believe it will be Brady Tkachuk. [Sportsnet]

I think the Habs play the "crucial role" in this years draft. They show some interest in Kotkaniemi, Zadina and Tkachuk.

It really comes down what player the Habs select.

Just now, Wolfgang Durst said:

Montreal Canadiens news and notes

• If it’s true that “the draft starts at #3,” there are a lot of eyes on who the Canadiens take, and many believe it will be Brady Tkachuk. [Sportsnet]

I think the Habs play the "crucial role" in this years draft. They show some interest in Kotkaniemi, Zadina and Tkachuk.

It really comes down what player the Habs select.

initially I wanted nothing to do with Tkachuk, but with Pettersson coming he is the kind of line mate EP could do very well with, a big jerk the other team is scared of. 

But yah Montreal seems to be the one to watch. I doubt anyone really knows what Bergevin will do. 

10 hours ago, TGT68 said:

I just think the future left side looks pretty good already.  

Juolevi

tryamkin

brisebois

while the future right side looks like

blank

blank

chatfield

And when has a high risk offensive defender ever actually gotten ice time with the Canucks anyway? 

*Possibly Rathbone (and hopefully whoever we take at 7). We've still got Stecher and Gudbranson who are both young as well. 

And technically both Tryamkin and Pouliot are comfortable playing on the right. 

36 minutes ago, aGENT said:

*Possibly Rathbone (and hopefully whoever we take at 7). We've still got Stecher and Gudbranson who are both young as well. 

And technically both Tryamkin and Pouliot are comfortable playing on the right. 

I really don't see Pouliot, Stecher or Guddy as part of the future core when these top flight forwards hit their peak though.  

Rathbone remains to be seen.  But maybe just maybe he was a steal.  

Shane Malloy from the Art of scouting was on the team 1040 yesterday, and he was being very critical of Boqvist. He threw out names like Oliver Klyington and DeAngelo when comparing him, which I thought was pretty harsh. He brought up that he dropped out of High School and was questioning his work ethic and ability to handle diversity.     

Archived