The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kole Lind | RW

Canucksin2013

Those who watch the comets regularly, how do you think Kole did playing Center this season?  He could make a good 3rd line center.  He is a pest and a great play maker.  How was he defensively at center and what was his face-off percentage?   

4 hours ago, dpn1 said:

Those who watch the comets regularly, how do you think Kole did playing Center this season?  He could make a good 3rd line center.  He is a pest and a great play maker.  How was he defensively at center and what was his face-off percentage?   

He plays RW

https://theahl.com/stats/player/7101

Miller-EP-Boeser

Hoglander-Bo-Toffoli

Podkolzin-Gaudette-Virtanen

Lind-Motte-Macewen

In 2021 we will have a pretty nice looking forward group.  I think many of the guys listed have the talent to play high up the lineup if needed.  That bottom 6 would be awful t play against.

12 hours ago, dpn1 said:

Lind did not play centre, he took a lot of key face offs - even with a centre available. In the AHL he looked more like a playmaker than a scorer.  In Utica we converted a winger in Jasek from a RW to a centre and MacEwen (Usually a winger) spent some time as a pivot, too - perhaps because we were thin in Centre prospects in Utica. Looking at the way Lind plays, and the fact he is strong on the draw, I would not be shocked if they tried him at centre - kind of like the way the Canucks deployed Miller. If Focht does not make the Comets, and we play Lockwood on the wing, we might see that experiment.  We’ll see. They don’t seem to be averse to repurposing wingers in Utica.

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, BCNate said:

Miller-EP-Boeser

Hoglander-Bo-Toffoli

Podkolzin-Gaudette-Virtanen

Lind-Motte-Macewen

In 2021 we will have a pretty nice looking forward group.  I think many of the guys listed have the talent to play high up the lineup if needed.  That bottom 6 would be awful t play against.

That is a good looking group.  Nice mix of sandpaper and skill.     Hope we can load up our D corp a bit...

11 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Lind did not play centre, he took a lot of key face offs - even with a centre available. In the AHL he looked more like a playmaker than a scorer.  In Utica we converted a winger in Jasek from a RW to a centre and MacEwen (Usually a winger) spent some time as a pivot, too - perhaps because we were thin in Centre prospects in Utica. Looking at the way Lind plays, and the fact he is strong on the draw, I would not be shocked if they tried him at centre - kind of like the way the Canucks deployed Miller. If Focht does not make the Comets, and we play Lockwood on the wing, we might see that experiment.  We’ll see. They don’t seem to be averse to repurposing wingers in Utica.

Do you think Kole is good enough defensively to play center? I thought he looked good defensively and could be converted to a center.like what happened with TL being converted to center from right wing.  What do you think?

11 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

I've been pondering who takes over 4c when Beags and Sutter's contracts end, and seeing he's listed as a C/RW, have been wondering how Mac fares in the faceoff dot. I haven't really watched any Utica games this season, and can't find faceoff stats for ahl. Does anyone have a rough estimate of his faceoff ability? Big body, seems the type that could grow into a shutdown 4c role.

3 hours ago, Chickenspear said:

I've been pondering who takes over 4c when Beags and Sutter's contracts end, and seeing he's listed as a C/RW, have been wondering how Mac fares in the faceoff dot. I haven't really watched any Utica games this season, and can't find faceoff stats for ahl. Does anyone have a rough estimate of his faceoff ability? Big body, seems the type that could grow into a shutdown 4c role.

Personally I'd think both Jasek ( who they've been grooming for the centre position ) and or Michaelis would be ahead of Lind. I believe Lind played wing in Utica

1 minute ago, Fred65 said:

Personally I'd think both Jasek ( who they've been grooming for the centre position ) and or Michaelis would be ahead of Lind. I believe Lind played wing in Utica

I was talking about MacEwen, while the subject of the C position.

16 hours ago, Chickenspear said:

Despite their dire need for centres at times, Cull rarely played MacEwen at centre.  I don't think the Canucks saw him as having good potential as a centre in the NHL, so they settled on grooming him as a winger.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, dpn1 said:

Do you think Kole is good enough defensively to play center? I thought he looked good defensively and could be converted to a center.like what happened with TL being converted to center from right wing.  What do you think?

Lind’s progress was quite remarkable this year, of course, Utica was very rich this year in talented wingers at an AHL level - getting to play with guys like Baertschi, Goldobin, Boucher, Bailey and so on will certainly help your game. But Lind did not look out of place with those players, he earned his high billing playing on Utica’s top lines - and he is what - 21? Last year was kind of lost to injur and lack of pro experience, but this year he showed considerable growth. If he could again show growth in the coming season compared to this one, then that would put him on a path similar to MacEwen - and I see MacEwen as a guy that could be an NHL player. 

But Utica was very thin in the middle: other than Jasek (a repurposed RW) they mostly used career AHLers that could not be called ‘stars’ by ant stretch of the imagination even in the AHL. That is not to put those players down - it would place them in the layer of players outside of the NHL - say a hundred and fifty centres nhl centres, and outside of the top of the AHL, say another sixty or eighty centres, and that makes it a significant achievement to play at that level. I don’t think Lind is ready yet to be an nhl centre, but I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see him transition to that role, dependent on Utica’s needs. Jasek, a repurposed winger, was probably their best or at worst, second best centre, so I wouldn’t be surprised to see him play their.

But look at this from both the team’s and the players perspective: many players move up to the nhl from the AHL as injury replacements - at least initially. But if you are a forward, the nhl guy that goes down might be a c, LW, or RW - it’s not uncommon for wingers to switch sides, but it is really useful if, especially on the bottom two lines, you can play any forward position - see Miller, Sutter, Beagle, and Motte. Giving your prospects that experience in the minors really helps them and the team to make use of that player - see MacEwen and Jasek  - both dual purpose players.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 5/20/2020 at 7:48 PM, Ray_Cathode said:

I believe they were starting to convert him when the shutdown happened.

• Cheers 1

when lind was playing with dahlen and petey in the young classics, dahlen told him he was too nice, always passing the puck to them. hope to see him playing for canucks in the future. maybe centre if he can play it best as the future right side might be crowded. 

One of the things I liked about his play is that he is an agitator.  Post whistle he was always in the goalie's, or a defender's, face.  Couple of times I heard the Utica commentator say "and here's Lind, doing his usual Lind stuff".  I see a future for him with Gaudette and Roussel/Virtanen as a Pest Line.

• Cheers 3