The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jack Rathbone | #3 | D

16 hours ago, Quantum said:

I believe Rathbone will sign next year. Just a feeling.

That’s my feeling as well. Especially if Fox signs with NYR and Rathbone get to play all of 2019-20 in the prime role that would open up at Harvard. I think a big season next year would set Jack up for signing in spring 2020 (depending on deep Harvard goes in the tournaments). 

• Upvote 3

On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 1:49 PM, ruilin96 said:

Ideal D group in 3 years:

Hughes - Woo

Juolevi - Rathbone

Hutton - Stecher

Somebody mentioned cats?  :lol:

I like all those guys. But as a whole, too small. Also only Woo as a physical guy. The league is going up tempo, sure?

You still need some balance! 

2 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Somebody mentioned cats?  :lol:

I like all those guys. But as a whole, too small. Also only Woo as a physical guy. The league is going up tempo, sure?

You still need some balance! 

Juolevi's no bruiser but he's definitely not small. That and I'd vote for Hutton moved and replaced with Tryamkin. Problem solved ::D

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• 1 month later...
9 minutes ago, Quantum said:

With no defensemen picked this year, Rathbone suddenly becomes a very important prospect for the Canucks. I anticipate a big year at Harvard and the Canucks doing everything they can to get him to sign come seasons end.

You can't help but feel that the Aiden McDonagh pick was a bit of a sweetner to get him to commit. (McDonagh and Rathbone are childhood pals)... Harvard guys notoriously now like to go the full 4 years and pick there spot (Vesey, Kerfoot, Fox, Kevin Hayes) have all done it.

I feel like this guy is a sleeper Top 4 D-man in our system and he's going to be a factor when this team is ready to contend in 2-4 years.

I agree.  Rathbone plays games with us (burning a year off his ELC) spring 2020.  

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Quantum said:

This probably explains why Jack Rathbone didn't come to camp this year.

Thanks, I was wondering why he wasn’t on the list. Given he has to spend his own money to come, no reason for him to come for off ice stuff. He probably wouldn’t be able to participate in most of that either, as a lot of it is active 

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

With OJ Woo and Rathbone coming in, in the next few years our D will be looking big, skilled and gritty. I can see Rathbone getting the Boeser/Gaudette/Hughes taste of NHL hockey at the end of the season...difference with Jack is that he could be in for more then just a cup, more like a coffee run for another kind of cup;) 

1 hour ago, dpn1 said:

Do people see Jack coming here after this coming season or next?  I was thinking at the end of this season.

I believe this is his fourth and final year at Harvard. He will finish school and sign his ELC when his NCAA season is over. I do recall when he was interviewed a few months ago that he would sign after Rick Dhaliwal joked to him how upset the fans will be if he doesn’t sign after his senior year of college. He said he had intentions on signing with the Canucks so hopefully most Canucks fans can chill and not worry about him doing the Fox/Vessey route. He will get the Boeser/Gaudette/Hughes treatment and get his cup of NHL coffee. Possibly more depending how this season goes.

1 minute ago, EP Phone Home said:

I believe this is his fourth and final year at Harvard. He will finish school and sign his ELC when his NCAA season is over. I do recall when he was interviewed a few months ago that he would sign after Rick Dhaliwal joked to him how upset the fans will be if he doesn’t sign after his senior year of college. He said he had intentions on signing with the Canucks so hopefully most Canucks fans can chill and not worry about him doing the Fox/Vessey route. He will get the Boeser/Gaudette/Hughes treatment and get his cup of NHL coffee. Possibly more depending how this season goes.

I think he's heading into his Jr year isn't he?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

No, it's only his second year at Harvard. Lockwood is the one going for his fourth year at College.

• Upvote 4

This is his second year.  He was a rookie last year at Harvard.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, dpn1 said:

Do people see Jack coming here after this coming season or next?  I was thinking at the end of this season.

Ideally after next season to buy us more time. This will be his first season to take over the top duties with Fox moving on. So a couple of years in that role would be beneficial for him. We may see Tryamkin at the end of this year too, so not a lot of room, but after next season, we may move on from Edler (at least have the option to consider it) which may shift the pecking order.