The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jack Rathbone | #3 | D

Many AHL teams need income from ticket sales to survive. I read some place a lot of AHL players are scrambling to find homes in Europe. Where  Rathbone fits who knows. I believe he has to declare 48 hours after the new CBA is signed. Heck NHL owners are going to have a bad time holding their teams together. As one owner mentioned many owners are being hit in their primary business never mind their play thing, AHL/NHL The word I keep hearing is the NHL resumes in January 2021. Think of the arenas that are club owned. Man this is a compounding problem which ever way you look at it. Maybe they should Furlough Bettman  for starters :lol:

2 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Many AHL teams need income from ticket sales to survive. I read some place a lot of AHL players are scrambling to find homes in Europe. Where  Rathbone fits who knows. I believe he has to declare 48 hours after the new CBA is signed. Heck NHL owners are going to have a bad time holding their teams together. As one owner mentioned many owners are being hit in their primary business never mind their play thing, AHL/NHL The word I keep hearing is the NHL resumes in January 2021. Think of the arenas that are club owned. Man this is a compounding problem which ever way you look at it. Maybe they should Furlough Bettman  for starters :lol:

Just an FYI in case you missed it, the January start is old news now.

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/29431331/nhl-targeting-dec-1-start-2020-21-season

On 7/10/2020 at 12:01 PM, Fred65 said:

I guess the question is will he be ready to step straight in. Heck the NHL looks like it won't open until maybe January 2021. He's just turned 21

Dhaliwal on TSN said a lot of hockey people say he's NHL ready now and could be on the roster next season.

Watching some of his highlights, I see a lot of Quinn Hughes, only with a little more bite ( he is willing to be physical ).

Could scouts have misread a lot of what this guy has to offer?

He could, very possibly be a second theft of the 2017 draft, far outshining his 4th round selection.

If he becomes any where near what Mr. Hughes is, our defense just got a whole lot deeper.

The kid's got serious skills.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, komodo0921 said:

Dhaliwal on TSN said a lot of hockey people say he's NHL ready now and could be on the roster next season.

Watching some of his highlights, I see a lot of Quinn Hughes, only with a little more bite ( he is willing to be physical ).

He could, very possibly be a second theft of the 2017 draft, far outshining his 4th round selection.

If he becomes any where near what Mr. Hughes is, our defense just got a whole lot deeper.

Im very bullish about Rathbone being ready next season. Remember Kevin Connauton? The guy was setting the Giants on fire, people in this forum were pegging him 1st pairing, PP1 whatever. He's turned out as a serviceable D-man but never achieved those heights. In 2 years maybe but I'd rather put chips on Woo or Juolevi, being on the lineup first before Rathbone. I think Juolevi makes it next season

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Im very bullish about Rathbone being ready next season. Remember Kevin Connauton? The guy was setting the Giants on fire, people in this forum were pegging him 1st pairing, PP1 whatever. He's turned out as a serviceable D-man but never achieved those heights. In 2 years maybe but I'd rather put chips on Woo or Juolevi, being on the lineup first before Rathbone. I think Juolevi makes it next season

Connauton was always thought of as a defensive liability even when he did his year with the Giants, as I recall. But I agree many had him pegged as a quality prospect. I was surprised that he could never grasp his defensive problems and correct them

4 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Keep in mind that’s JR. Jack is playing in a tougher league. 

19 hours ago, Outsiders said:

Sounds like the window opens next week? That's what it sounded like from listening to TSN1040 earlier. So we should find out rather soon. My gut says he signs. 

There's a 53-hour window that opens tomorrow where teams are allowed to get new ELC players under contract for this season.  There won't be a signing bonus and no salary payment.  It burns a year of their ELC and gets them in the fold. 

They will be allowed to participate in phase 3 and 4 and be part of the bubble but won't be allowed to get into games.  It's a one-off for this season.  Next season new ELC signings will be allowed to play like they have in the past - Makar, Boeser, Hughes etc.

The Canucks have to also want to sign him during that window.  They might not want to burn a year of his ELC as he can't play this season.  It brings him to his 2nd contract a year earlier. 

Edited by mll

22 hours ago, komodo0921 said:

IMO he plays more like a Makar-lite.

Which would be just fine too ::D

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I suppose I could suffer through watching a Makar-lite. ;) 

I just hope Jack signs. Ideally sometime in the next 65ish hours.

Rathbone signing would set up our left side for the long haul

Hughes

Rathbone

Tryamkin

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, komodo0921 said:

Rathbone signing would set up our left side for the long haul

Hughes

Rathbone

Tryamkin

Tryamkin is like Benn... he plays his off side more often and better.  He would fit as a RD on our roster most likely,

especially if Juolevi is still in the mix.

4 minutes ago, Vanuckles said:

What makes you say that?

He grew up a Boston fan. He’s from that area.  There are articles going back as far as last year discussing the fact t that he’s well aware that he can go UFA as soon as next year.  And his quotes from this March where he says it’s his dream to be an NHL player but he won’t rush the decision 

“The Canucks have expressed interest (in having me turn pro) and that’s something I’m really excited about because it means I’m taking the right steps. But honestly, with everything going and how chaotic things are, and school stopping and hockey coming to an abrupt end like it has, my family and I just didn’t feel this is the right time to make that decision. It just didn’t feel right. We’re going to make that decision later on.”

I could definitely be wrong. 

All of that could mean nothing. But it doesn’t seem like he’s in a huge rush to be a Canuck, and he can continue his education and sign anywhere he wants next summer.  

1 hour ago, qwijibo said:

It wouldn’t surprise me if he opts to do another year at Harvard and goes UFA next summer. 

Hes extremely close to his younger brother who is special needs.. calls him his hero and best friend.. 

He decided not to go the USHL route so he can be close to his brother who was 8 years old at the time. 

His parents house is approx half hour drive to Bruins practice facility and approx half hour from TD Garden where the Bruins play.. 

He grew up a huge Bruins fan. 

Why would he go as far away as possible and to a foreign country when he can live at home be close to his younger brother and play for his favourite team... 

Makes too much sense for him to wait a year go ufa and sign with Bruins..

His former NCAA line mate on the 1st pairing Adam Fox forced a trade from the flames. Then from Canes and ended up NYR where he always wanted to be..

Maybe after the playoffs if it becomes apparent he's not signing this year JB can get a pick for him from the Bruins..

Edited by WHL rocks
  • Upvote 1