The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Nail Yakupov has interest signing with Canucks

47 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I think we can all see what's really going on here.  You'd have to be blind not to see it this whole time.

Yakupov's child hood hero growing up was national icon Pavel Bure.  His favorite city in NA was always Vancouver.  Knowing he got stuck in deadmonton and having no way to get out besides wait it out he basically played like he had no clue, didn't care.  He got traded to St Louis and his only option from there was to play so casually that he wouldn't get renwed.

Now he is a 23 year old UFA and his first choice is Vancouver.  Vancouver, his first choice since childhood.  He will come here and surpass 60 goals in his first season and get in to a scrap with McDavid in our 2nd game against Edmonton where he will break his nose and jaw and dislocate his shoulder putting him out for the season thus cementing his legacy in vancouver and going on to be the canuck's most prolific goal scorer in team history with 549 goals by the time he retires with 3 cups to his name in the city by the sea

I accept the sarcasm, but why not sign him, if the price is reasonable?

Finally, going in the right direction! First Jordan Weal rumoured, and now Nail Yakupov. These are the free agents the Canucks need to fill out their lineup. Awesome!

Ah crap. Sorry guys, forgot to take off my rose coloured glasses.

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

I accept the sarcasm, but why not sign him, if the price is reasonable?

Because of this:

2 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

And pray those bad habits don't rub off on our other young players. I can't see JB having any interest in Yakupov.

Why not.  There is so little downside. If he doesn't pan out, no surprise.  It's like a free late round pick, if it actually works, we would all be happy, but if it fails, we expected it too.  Do it and maybe we get a Yak who wants to rebuild his game under Green in Vancouver, and does exactly that.  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

What bad habits?  The guy gives 100%.  He just gets nothing accomplished.  He's a "runner".  Sure he's running all over, but maybe he just needs coaching?  

be a good project for Green to showcase his incredible coaching skills. 

^^

Just now, Alflives said:

What bad habits?  The guy gives 100%.  He just gets nothing accomplished.  He's a "runner".  Sure he's running all over, but maybe he just needs coaching?  

Giving 100% (if he even is) offensively means nothing when there's nothing to show for it.

The 0% (or f****s) he gives defensively sure isn't impressive, especially when he's not producing offensively with his rumoured "100%" he gives on that end of the ice (see: he doesn't).

And if he needs "good coaching", then he would have received that "good coaching" on a team far better coached than the Canucks in St Louis.

Sign him. Don't sign him. The on ice contribution from him will be the same.

2 minutes ago, Monty said:

Giving 100% (if he even is) offensively means nothing when there's nothing to show for it.

The 0% (or f****s) he gives defensively sure isn't impressive, especially when he's not producing offensively with his rumoured "100%" he gives on that end of the ice (see: he doesn't).

And if he needs "good coaching", then he would have received that "good coaching" on a team far better coached than the Canucks in St Louis.

I agree that it's highly unlikely JB signs Yakupov.  

If He wants to play here, sign him.  Hes young and has some potential.

His favorite team growing up was the Canucks. His favorite player was Bure.  He would come to camp motivated as this is probably his last kick at the can.

This is a no risk HIGH reward situation.  We're going to suck next season anyway, may as well experiment and see if this can work. If it doesn't work, but deal, sit him in the press box.  But I hope we take the chance.

I am not keen on UFAs for Vancouver at this stage in their cycle but given his age and obvious skills, perhaps Green could work wonders.   If he became this year's version of Sam Gagner, it would have the added benefit of really pissing of the Oilers which I would think would be a plus for pretty much every Canuck fan.

I'd sign him to a 2 year two way deal if he doesn't want a 2 way deal then one year deal. There's no reason not to risk it on Yakupov. He could turn his career around. Edmonton treated him like garbage. He would get called out and benched for bad plays and anytime Hall, Eberle or especially RNH made a terrible play nothing was said and they were right back on their next shift.

I totally understood his frustration with Edmonton.

8 minutes ago, Monty said:

There's not really any risk to it. If we sign him and he under performs then waive him.

We lose nothing.

We wouldn't be keeping him long if JB felt that his bad habits could rub off other players either(ie Kassian).

If he is interested in Van then he would have more incentive to improve and perform at his best considering he wants to be here and that it could be his last stint in the NHL.

That's how I see it at least.

Archived