The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Nail Yakupov has interest signing with Canucks

6 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

There's not really any risk to it. If we sign him and he under performs then waive him.

We lose nothing.

We wouldn't be keeping him long if JB felt that his bad habits could rub off other players either(ie Kassian).

If he is interested in Van then he would have more incentive to improve and perform at his best considering he wants to be here and that it could be his last stint in the NHL.

That's how I see it at least.

If Nail is looking to revitalize his career and he's on his "last chance", then him and his agent should know better than to sign with Vancouver. Sign with a team that has some chance of helping him succeed offensively, as that was the only part of his game worth a damn. Joining the Canucks, who are in an absolute state of mediocrity right now, will not help him find success.

His agent should be trying to do the biggest sell job with Chicago or Pittsburgh right now. The only two teams where he has a shred of chance to find his way.

Guess my point is, guys like Conor Sheary and Jake Guentzal look amazing when placed in a position to succeed. Are they talented? Yes. But I could at least finish the season with one goal in 82 games if I was playing with Crosby or Kane.

I wouldn't if on any other team.

4 hours ago, S'all Good Man said:

@Stierlitz - have you heard anything more about him in the Russian media? Has he improved his attitude or reputation at all with the Russians? 

I dunno... it seems like he's been around forever but he's only 23. If he was to finally turn it around... a line with him and Goldy on it could be quite entertaining. 

I would not call Nail forgotten in the Russian media just yet but you don't see his name often there. And why would anyone in Russia be interested? He made it pretty clear in his inverview in May that he did not have any interest to play in the KHL, he was not considered to be good enough to play for the Russian national team in the world championship... He did not make preliminary roster of 50 players for the national team for 2018 Olympics. Yes, at this point I would say Yakupov would be happy to play for any team in the NHL. His last interview was in May, after that his diplomatic agent Igor Larionov does all the talking in the media. Hence there is no current info about the Nail's feelings - does he still have confidence in himself, is he still cocky, is he broken..?

1 minute ago, Monty said:

If Nail is looking to revitalize his career and he's on his "last chance", then him and his agent should know better than to sign with Vancouver. Sign with a team that has some chance of helping him succeed offensively, as that was the only part of his game worth a damn. Joining the Canucks, who are in an absolute state of mediocrity right now, will not help him find success.

His agent should be trying to do the biggest sell job with Chicago or Pittsburgh right now. The only two teams where he has a shred of chance to find his way.

I'm pretty sure this will be his last season in the Nhl if he even finishes the season in the nhl.

4 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

He fits perfectly into Benning's reclamation wheelhouse and approach to giving talented guys the shot they need to succeed. Like others have said, if playing for his favorite team gives him new life, all the better for us. Timing couldn't be better. 

If we gave Etem a shot, this one should be a no brainer for Benning. 

Especially when we are in search of a goal scorer.  At age 23, I'd easily give him a shot, we've done it with a few players before.  His talent level is there, and the Oilers pretty much screwed up every player before McDavid

7 minutes ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

I look at the way Green handled Jake last year and if that pays off, Nail might be on to something.  Sometimes it's about buy in, if anyone can get Nail to buy into a different type of play, Greens the guy.  

I would love this to be true. 

1mil. x 2yr. deal. Take it or leave it. 

Plus...his name is Nail. That's worth 500k/yr. alone.

Absolutely, 

Get him in here, Talk to Larionov and find out what the hell happened

Durring his rookie season this guy SCORED, in the NHL

Then that Idiot coach the Oilers employed worked his magic and all of a sudden the guy can't play hockey anymore

There is a top 6 forward somewhere inside this guy, 

20 minutes ago, Stierlitz said:

I would not call Nail forgotten in the Russian media just yet but you don't see his name often there. And why would anyone in Russia be interested? He made it pretty clear in his inverview in May that he did not have any interest to play in the KHL, he was not considered to be good enough to play for the Russian national team in the world championship... He did not make preliminary roster of 50 players for the national team for 2018 Olympics. Yes, at this point I would say Yakupov would be happy to play for any team in the NHL. His last interview was in May, after that his diplomatic agent Igor Larionov does all the talking in the media. Hence there is no current info about the Nail's feelings - does he still have confidence in himself, is he still cocky, is he broken..?

thanks for the update... doesn't fill me with confidence... 

9 minutes ago, mpt said:

Especially when we are in search of a goal scorer.  At age 23, I'd easily give him a shot, we've done it with a few players before.  His talent level is there, and the Oilers pretty much screwed up every player before McDavid

Agree. This kinda feels like it's dropping in our lap (or in front of our lap) at the right time. Worth a show-me shot at the right price. 

If we gave other first rounders a shot based on potential, a former #1 at 23 seems foolish to pass up given Benning's history with similar shots. 

7 minutes ago, terrible.dee said:

Absolutely, 

Get him in here, Talk to Larionov and find out what the hell happened

Durring his rookie season this guy SCORED, in the NHL

Then that Idiot coach the Oilers employed worked his magic and all of a sudden the guy can't play hockey anymore

There is a top 6 forward somewhere inside this guy, 

I agree. And I think playing for his idols team could be exactly what he needs to tap into his potential. 

28 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

thanks for the update... doesn't fill me with confidence... 

Just to give you more info about Yakupov. He is not Russian, he is Tatar. In his interview before the NHL draft in 2012 he said:

I am not a Russian, I am a Muslim. You are asking about the "Russian factor", this is not related to me. I have my own life and I need to work.

https://www.sports.ru/hockey/141165702.html (in Russian)

Archived