The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Nail Yakupov has interest signing with Canucks

20 minutes ago, oldnews said:

They could go with a 'kid' / upside fourth line this year.

Horvat's line has proven that it can produce - hard minutes or not.   As the line that comes in behind Sutter's they'd be fine.

Eriksson Sutter can be our matchup/shutdown line again.  They handle the hard minutes exceptionally well.

Sedins and Granny would give us a pair of 2nd lines with Horvat's - maybe not great scoring punch - maybe no true top line but the 'kid' line, getting sheltered and opportune minutes, may be able to provide some secondary scoring.

So:

Baer Horvat Boeser - with a kesler style 2nd line role - that plays slightly harder minutes than a top line.

Sedins and Granny - another 2nd line.

Eriksson Sutter Dorsett/Virtanen- a good shutdown hard-minutes 3rd line with a couple 2nd line quality fixtures anchoring it - can pitch in even in a shutdown role.

Yakupov Gaunce Goldobin

1980's Coller style kid line.  Cut'em loose.

Gaunce showed that he has a very well developed defensive game last year - but here's his opportunity to play easier minutes anchoring this line defensively whille giving these young wingers the green light.

Could be fun to watch, even if not terribly diffcult to play against....

If nothing else, Yakupov brings some intrigue/'buzz' to a fanbase that's pretty mopey - and thirsty for high pick pedigree lol.

I want a similar setup.

Baer, Horvat, Eriksson (2 way '2nd' line)

Sedin, Sedin, Granlund (offensive '2nd' line)

Gaunce, Sutter, Dorsett (match up line)

Yak/Boucher/Rodin, UFA, Boeser (sheltered offensive line)

Leave Dahlen, Goldobin and Virtanen in Utica to rip it up and available for injury call ups. Move Yak/Boucher/Rodin, the UFA etc at the TDL for picks and call up a couple guys from Utica.

7 hours ago, Rubik said:

We've done a great job with Baertschi, why not give a chance to Yakupov too? He'll come dirt cheap...

I was thinking the exact same thing. If you've heard Burke ripping into Sven as a flame, you would  never believe the improvement he's made since coming to Vancouver. 

31 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Is this  you that always uses this quote or it is just the quote to use for whatever line someone puts together?   i swear I see this quote on every thread that has a proposed line combination.   Not even sure what it means.   I like butter.   Butter is awesome on so many things.   If you are implying the players themselves are too soft to play in the NHL, that is likely far from fair of you to say as pretty well NO ONE who gets to that level is "soft".   Further, if you look across the league a lot of "soft players" are doing quite well.

Oh, and butter is good.  Mmmmm butter.

Regular season you don't need to be tough to put up points. You can be as soft as you want. Look at 2008-2012 Sedins. They aren't physical guys, but they had success.

Playoffs are a different story. You need to be able to handle physical play. Just look at Crosby or Kane or Toews or Guentzel. They aren't big guys but they were able to handle guys roughing them up.  A line of Yakupov, Drouin and Galchenyuk would be an extremely skilled line, but all you need to do is play them really physically and they would be neutralized.

Sure then it would be like a long round about way we traded kassian for nail. ....

seriouly this club has nothing to lose by putting a nail in the            Line up ,I rather see him than megna or shampoo

1 year deal if he sucks waive minors Russia 

1 hour ago, flickyoursedin said:

Give him a shot. Honestly I'd rather roll the dice on Yakupov then Boucher, Megna, Grenier and Chaput. He couldn't be any worse then those guys but he has the potential to be better then all of them.

I do like Boucher. I find his game pretty good. He needs to keep it up and develop. Some stability could do wonders after being thrown around in the league.

I hear Chaput once more, especially alongside the Sedins and I'm throwing my 70" big screen cathode TV out the 22nd floor. I don't own one but I like the imagery. Megna and Grenier should also be AHL fillers.

When is the last time any team had a chance of signing an ex 1OA who still has a full career in front of him? Goldobin and Yakupov could be a serious boon for this team. 

They would have unlimited access to footage from Larionov, Bure and Mogilny.

His confidence is shot to death. He needs a fresh start where he isnt trying to live up to the #1 pick overall expectations. If we can get 10 goals out of him, that would be a huge step in the right direction. I think 2 million is too much for a "prove your worth" contract but I think 1-1.5 million is fair. He's got skill, just needs an opportunity to prove himself once again. Always felt like he was pushed way too quickly to be an impact player at such a young age. 

Seriously, have some of you not watched Yakupov play the past 2 years?

He is terrible.  He's a floater who has only put up 32 points in 100 games the past 2 years (1 point every 3.125 games).  Linden Vey had 39 in 116 games as a member of the Canucks (1 point every 2.974 games) and everyone despised watching him play for us.  I would go so far to say that Vey didn't float around as much as Yakupov either.

Yakupov is a bust.  He is truly nothing more than a bad NHL player at this point.  If he was a 4th round pick and not a 1st overall pick nobody here would even entertain the idea of signing him.  The potential he had is long gone by this point however.

We'd be better off with giving a guy like Labate or Cramarossa or Boucher (who has actually produced at a better rater than Yakupov the past 2 seasons) or someone else who actually has shown that they deserve a shot the opportunity.

I've been wanting to take a flyer on him for so long. The kid oozes talent but for some reason just can't seem to find it.

Eriksson Horvat Boeser

Sedin Sedin Goldobin

Baertschi Sutter Yakupov

Virtanen Granlund Molino

But with Dahlen expected to make the jump I don't see a spot for Yakupov. I'm expecting Dahlen and Virtanen winning spots out of training camp

WSH, PIT, TBL, NYR, TOR, OTT, and CHI should all take a shot at him.

Definitely need to sign this kid.

I think he's been de railed by the Oilers for most of his career. TBH, the guy needs a fresh start. Theres so much to gain and little to lose. He just has to find his groove back is all. If he does, we could see the first liner in him that he was projected to be when he was drafted. I'm not saying he will be a first liner, but still the guy at this point is a low risk - high reward project. If it it works thats another step in the right direction for our team, and if it doesn't we got the guy for free so we lose nothing.

6 minutes ago, Hortankin said:

I've been wanting to take a flyer on him for so long. The kid oozes talent but for some reason just can't seem to find it.

Eriksson Horvat Boeser

Sedin Sedin Goldobin

Baertschi Sutter Yakupov

Virtanen Granlund Molino

But with Dahlen expected to make the jump I don't see a spot for Yakupov. I'm expecting Dahlen and Virtanen winning spots out of training camp

WSH, PIT, TBL, NYR, TOR, OTT, and CHI should all take a shot at him.

Markus Granlund scored at a 22G pace last year, and is only 24. He won't be on the 4th line.

Dahlen is not expected to play in the NHL this year.  He is most likely going to play in the SHL with Elias Pettersson.

Yakupov would only be getting 4th line minutes next year.

5 minutes ago, Hortankin said:

Eriksson Horvat Boeser

Sedin Sedin Goldobin

Baertschi Sutter Yakupov

Virtanen Granlund Molino

Nice to see Molino pencilled into someone's lineup. He looked fast and was decent on the forecheck in his limited opportunites last year. I see some potential there. But I notice you have both Virtanen and Molino ahead of Gaunce. I'm expecting a bit of a break out year for Gaunce. I don't think he'll score a ton of points but I expect him to cement his claim as an every day NHL player. 

Archived