The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Nail Yakupov has interest signing with Canucks

4 minutes ago, luckylager said:

That's a good point. I just threw $2m out there as an easy number.

How 'bout an incentive laden contract that can earn him up to $2.5, but his actual salary is like $1.25..

Whatcha think?

Bonuses are only allowed for ELCs and on Age 35+ contracts.

I would see him more around 750K on a two-way.  

5 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Seems like a no brainer eh?!

Actually I did have to think about it as Yakupov has the chance to be the biggest 1 overall bust of this era. However as he could be brought in cheaply, and the team wouldn't have to give up any assets to get him, I'd be interested to see what he could do as a reclamation project. I doubt he ever lives up to his draft position but he could still be a serviceable top six guy. 

5 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Baertschi Horvat Boeser

Sedin Sedin Granlund

Eriksson Sutter Virtanen/Goldobin

Gaunce Chaput Dorsett

(Molino, Cram, Boucher, Megna....)

I think he'd be in tough to earn a spot over any of Baertschi, Granlund, Goldobin/Virtanen - but there's not much harm in giving him a chance.

Rodin Dahlen Gaudette Lockwood Pettersson Lind Gadjovich Cassels McEwen

The team is actually looking healthy in terms of youth and prospect depth, but there's always the prospect of adding another pick or two by moving someone.

On that note though - I really don't think the top 3 picks this year could have panned out any better for this team - an elite playmaker, an excellent, complete-game forward in Lind, and then a hard-nosed and skilled pwf - those three additions really round out the forward prospects nicely imo.

Much as I love Granny, He really is not a second line player...Yak would look better with the twins if he get's his sh!t together.

Just now, HerrDrFunk said:

Actually I did have to think about it as Yakupov has the chance to be the biggest 1 overall bust of this era. However as he could be brought in cheaply, and he the team wouldn't have to give up any assets to get him, I'd be interested to see what he could do as a reclamation project. I doubt he ever lives up to his draft position but he could still be a serviceable top six guy. 

For sure. There's no guarantee he could even beat out any of the players in our top six and he'd be utterly useless in a checking role, obviously.

Worth a try-out thuogh

I think the problem with Yakupov is this idea that someone is going to make him a complete player.

I think you have to start to look at someone like Gagner, where he's become a DH power play weapon for Columbus, and apply that to Yakupov. 16 of his 31 points his rookie season came on the man advantage. He also shot a ridiculous 21% his rookie season and has averaged around 8% since then. So honestly he's gonna score from volume shooting in good positions. Then he can be a special teams spark plug kind of player that plays 12-14 minutes most nights, but if he's hot you can move him on to top lines and take advantage.

If a million dollar special teams player can buy you a couple percentage points 5-on-4, we could use it.

Two way deals don't mean anything folks - the only implication is that a player makes less if playing in the AHL than in the NHL  - otherwise, they really have no effect on a team's cap hit, their waiver flexibility or anything of consequence - aside from the owner's pocketbook.

11 minutes ago, nux4lyfe said:

Much as I love Granny, He really is not a second line player...Yak would look better with the twins if he get's his sh!t together.

Nonsense.  Presuming that Granlund isn't a top 6 is both premature and not really looking at his development trajectory realistically.  Nothing in his past suggests that he's a 3rd liner at best - and what he did last year is nothing short of commanding a top 6 opportunity.

And - Yakupov would be an awful fit for the Sedins.

They need a player that is hard on the forecheck (that separates and retrieves pucks)  that goes to the hard areas, that is an effective cycler,  that backchecks hard and provides support on their side of the redline - what of those things sounds like Yakupov?

He'd need a two way center like Horvat or Sutter if he has any hope in hell of sticking - and ideally an opposing winger that has a solid two way game.

Imo the most realistic (if not only) possibility for him would be on Sutter's wing with Eriksson on the other (two veteran two way linemates) - however, that would require Yakupov to earn a spot over 1) a player we dealt Hansen for, and 2) a player we drafted at 6th overall - and tbh, I'm not sure I like his chances a whole lot.  Alternatively, he could make a good winger for Horvat and Boeser, but again, that would require competing Baertschi out of that spot, which comes with reasonable doubt.

I'm really not of the mindset that this team just departed on a rebuild - imo, there isn't a whole lot to 'rebuild' at this point.  Realistically, the upside of signing Yakupov would be a longshot - that he could leapfrog players we already have that are better hockey players at this point.  If that were to happen, the team could potentially deal one of their smaller, skilled wingers ie Baer, Goldobin - but realistically, there are only so many spots - and there are a handful of guys like Pettersson, Dahlen, Gaudette, Virtanen, Goldobin who want those spots in the near future.  Whether there's room for Yakupov - effectively a guy who is sheltered highly and still producing like a bottom six - is debatable.  It would really be on him to uptick - a lot - and quickyl

I'm sure many people had labelled Kassian as washed up.  He learned from mistakes, changed his attitude, and today just signed a nice contract with the Oilers. 

Yakupov is 23 years old.  I wouldn't write him off just yet.

Archived