The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

let kids develop one more year.

RetroCanuck

What to do with the kids.  

55 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I dont like this poll.Give me more options. i mean if  a kid's lights out in training camp and preseason yeah he deserves a shot. if looks somewhat decent? really. I understand veterans like to coast in preseason but that shouldnt be the case this year theres a lot of competition coming to this camp which is awesome. 

Send them all down or back. Boeser included. 

Play in a "winning environment" remember that one liner of  bs to go with the many many other spewed to sell bad decisions to the guilible.  

utica is shaping up to be a solid team this season let them go learn the pro game and just as important  how to be a pro that and have a legitimate chance to win nightly

Chaput megna Boucher Rodin gaunce granlund bear Horvat Dorset sutter Louie dan hank gags brumistrov 15 forwards on one way NHL contracts

delzotto hutton stecher wierdcoat gud edler tanev pedan biega 9 dman on one way NHL contracts 

adding one rookie doesn't make this a "winning environment" and doesn't do anything for there confidence or development. 

They can always be called up for a taste now and again to keep them hungry. 

Benning has set up camp to be a real dog fight mainly for the young players.  That's why Rodin is back and Burmistrov is here and Megna, Chaput, Boucher, Molino, LaPlante, Weircoich, Holm, DelZotto.  None of these guys are expected to be in the long term plans of the team but they are fighting for their careers against players who are expected to be in the long term plans of the team.

What happens is that high competition means better evaluation and the best few of the whole group will be on the team.

He has to go on a case by case basis.   But as the OP suggested, if anybody isn't ready, he needs to send them down.  To heck with waivers, if a player is ready for the NHL, that is where they are going to improve and develop the most.  

And the way Benning has this set up, if a young guy finishes camp ranked in the top 13 as a forward or top 8 for D, he is ready for the NHL.  It isn't like 2015/16 when Virtanen and McCann may have been in the top 13 but weren't ready.

3 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Benning has set up camp to be a real dog fight mainly for the young players.  That's why Rodin is back and Burmistrov is here and Megna, Chaput, Boucher, Molino, LaPlante, Weircoich, Holm, DelZotto.  None of these guys are expected to be in the long term plans of the team but they are fighting for their careers against players who are expected to be in the long term plans of the team.

What happens is that high competition means better evaluation and the best few of the whole group will be on the team.

He has to go on a case by case basis.   But as the OP suggested, if anybody isn't ready, he needs to send them down.  To heck with waivers, if a player is ready for the NHL, that is where they are going to improve and develop the most.  

And the way Benning has this set up, if a young guy finishes camp ranked in the top 13 as a forward or top 8 for D, he is ready for the NHL.  It isn't like 2015/16 when Virtanen and McCann may have been in the top 13 but weren't ready.

We'll put.  There is also nothing wrong with putting a fringe guy on waivers if needed, we've got a glut of them and as you say many aren't here for the long term plans anyways.  Makes for an interesting pre season too.

I really think anything close to a tie goes to the vets - load up in Utica (or send guys to other leagues) and call up those who are earning it throughout the year as a carrot.  There is no reason to rush anyone with what JB has assembled for this year.

The only young guy I see who is knocking down the door is Goldobin, but even if he doesn't make the team out of camp his AHL play should put him at the top of the list for a call up.

I agree the waiver exempt Goldobin, Boeser, Dahlen, Juolevi, Virtanen, etc really need to definitively separate themselves to make it out of camp.

It's a long season.

They might want Boeser, Goldobin, Virtanen, Molino, Brisebois, Subban and Holm to play a season in Utica together, build chemistry, get a lot of points, win lots of games. I'm not opposed to this, just impatient. Especially after last season with Goldobin and Boeser playing so well. Virtanen might've gotten better too. It'll all be sorted out at camp, so who knows.   

IMO, young players should be judged by how they play compared to their ceiling. If a player looks like he is going to trend upwards and improve on the big club, then I say bring him up. If that doesn't happen, send them down. Let them develop further. Virtanen and McCann  were never going to improve up here, so their potential and confidence were shot. 

In my eyes, the players who are going to have a good camp are: 

Petersson 

Gagner 

Boeser 

Goldobin and 

Dahlen 

The players making the club however are 

Gagner

Boeser 

Goldobin maybe as a 13th forward, so I would let him improve in Utica anyways. 

Pettersson and Dahlen don't have what it takes to be in the NHL yet. Same with Joulevi, Demko and Subban. 

We also have to remember that patience is key. We have a strong prospect pool considering Jensen was our top prospect a few years ago and our future looks bright.

2 hours ago, Stamkos said:

In my eyes, the players who are going to have a good camp are: 

Petersson 

Pettersson will not be at camp but if he were i am sure he would impress.

https://thecanuckway.com/2017/08/05/vancouver-canucks-elias-pettersson-wont-attend-training-camp/  

The Only prospects I think are ready for the jump....

Godly

And

Boeser  

Virtanen will be ready in 2018 when he is 22 IMO. 

I think Boeser has a good chance of sticking, Jou's should go to Europe and mature some more, we've got so many dark horse scoring types that need a look (Bouch/Goldy et all) I think put Dorsett on the IR for a bit and anyone else who gets a rash. (Avoid waivers for some)

14 hours ago, Alflives said:

And if any of them are clearly the best at their position, they can (like Stecher) be sent down before the season starts, so some guy (who's crap, and will not get claimed if waived - Larsen) can get a spot.  JB announced on more than one occasion that he will make space for the young guys, if they deserve it.  Has he ever even done that?

Vey was put through waivers in favor of McCann. Seems to somebody went to waivers in favor of Hutton as well.

I think the reason we signed as many as we did on July 1st, was to give the kids room to develop in Utica or in Junior if they aren't AHL age yet.

Spots aren't being held open for anyone, If Virtanen, Dahlen, Juolevi etc, can't out play the other guys in camp, then they don't belong on the team.

Whoever is ready, will rise to the occasion and force their way onto the team. That's the way its supposed to work.

2 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

I think the reason we signed as many as we did on July 1st, was to give the kids room to develop in Utica or in Junior if they aren't AHL age yet.

Spots aren't being held open for anyone, If Virtanen, Dahlen, Juolevi etc, can't out play the other guys in camp, then they don't belong on the team.

Whoever is ready, will rise to the occasion and force their way onto the team. That's the way its supposed to work.

Like with Stecher last camp?  Didn't he earn a spot, but was cut so Larsen could play?  I'm starting to think our younger guys are in Utica, Junior, or Europe no matter how well they show in camp and preseason.  

Not going to answer your poll. The obvious (to me) answer that was omitted is "play on other teams around the world, unless they push themself onto spots on the team with fantastic play".

I think any kid should have the opportunity to play if he looks far superior to the player that would likely be playing the same position. I would like to see Olli is Europe, Brock with Horvat, and Virt starting in the AHL with stints for injury call up and maybe earning a spot by the TDL. If Goldy looks shockingly ready then he gets a spot, but I want to see him on the top line in Utica. When the sharks traded him they mentioned he wasn't quite ready for the big leagues and needed a little more time. I will reaervse judgement till pre season, but based off last year I would agree. If have players in Rodin/Bouch that could fill his spot, and even they  don't have a sure spot.

Doesn't really need to be said but depends on the player and how they come to camp.

Suspect Boeser will be here, Goldobin has probably done his time in the AHL.  Rodin will likely be starting in the AHL and first top 6 call up.  Would like to see some of the kids playing together in the AHL.  Unfortunately outside of Virt the real core guys will likely be in Europe as opposed to playing together in Utica, would like to see Dahlen sent to Utica to play with Virt.  

Juolevi is the other wild card for me.  He is going to need to walk in and take a top 6 spot.  Unfortunately he would have to go back to Europe if doesn't make team as doesn't want to go to London and can't go to Utica. 

43 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Like with Stecher last camp?  Didn't he earn a spot, but was cut so Larsen could play?  I'm starting to think our younger guys are in Utica, Junior, or Europe no matter how well they show in camp and preseason.  

I believe he was cut to make cap space. This is common on all teams, where they have to move players around to make the cap work.

If they are waiver exempt, its what you have to do to balance space vs asset management.

Stecher played 4 games on the Comets before he was back in Vancouver. He was prioritized to be on the team.

Archived