The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Preseason GDT/PGT LA Kings Vs Canucks |Sept 23| 12:30AM | SN

AlwaysACanuckFan

10 minutes ago, Virtanen#18 said:

Maybe this was a boring experience for them... they would rather play mahjong with friends... 

I think NHL is too late going to China.  Basketball is KING there, and all the kids dream of becoming Kobe, or Yao, not hockey players. Tickets were likely free even.

16 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think NHL is too late going to China.  Basketball is KING there, and all the kids dream of becoming Kobe, or Yao, not hockey players. Tickets were likely free even.

Not with a market that big and with government commitment to grow the game.

21 minutes ago, Alflives said:

How is it too late?  It's never too late to start exposing a sport to that huge population.

31 minutes ago, Alflives said:

On the contrary. Tickets were expensive! I had a pair of Upper Deck tickets that I bought for $250 CAD. Ice level seats were selling for near $175-$200 each. For many Chinese people, tickets would way beyond their price range. If tickets were more reasonably priced, it would have led to fuller arenas

Didn't stay up for the game, but read through the comments, LOL'd at all the wit around the visit to the Great Wall.  Looking forward to the end of preseason and knowing who will be with the big club.  

Thanks to everyone who did watch the late (early?) game and provided perspective.  

2 games in China....2 grumpy mornings with little sleep trying to watch that slock....

They are trying to sell hockey to China with that display?  

The first game was an assault to the senses with all the stupid whistle blowing so what do they do?....They tell the ref's to only call penalties against the Canucks...at least the first 2 periods seemed that way.

Then there is the goal net's coming off all the time....then there is the fact that there was almost as much time dicking around between whistles as there was playing the game...how does it take 2 minutes to drop the freaking puck!?!....I was having power naps while they put the Chinese fans to sleep.

Bettman is ruining hockey and trying to sell this crap to poor unsuspecting Chinese people.

Showcasing hockey my arse....that was all about LA and the Ref's....hockey was incidental....

I'm glad this is over with, other clubs can do it for the next few years. I believe it's a five year agreement?

Jet lag will be a factor for a week or so, in 97/98 when they returned from Japan they said it took up to two weeks to fully recover.

2 minutes ago, 6string said:

I'm glad this is over with, other clubs can do it for the next few years. I believe it's a five year agreement?

Jet lag will be a factor for a week or so, in the late 97/98 when they returned from Japan they said it took up to two weeks to fully recover.

On the trade off side the young guys left behind have gotten a real good chance to showcase themselves against mostly more veteran teams . This has been a good revelation an insight to the potential of what a few if not most of them can do.

2 hours ago, smithers joe said:

i didn't see a lot of the game but, i thought the boys skated hard and had a good flow to their game. i'll have to watch the whole game to know who looked out of place or in it.

My take on that last piece, for what it's worth:

Out of place: Vanek, sometimes Gagner and Edler, Nilsson- some brutal botches and missed plays, out of position, can't catch a pass (or puck!) or put the puck on net

In place: Baer, Granlund, sometimes Eriksson and Burmi, Wiercoch, Tanev- gorgeously smooth skating, always in position, consistently crashing the net to create scoring chances/actually scoring, good pace and passing

Just sort of there, floating around: Sedins, everyone else- I mean, they were there, and did play the game after all

7 hours ago, Jaimito said:

good come back to tie it.  

The vets are still rusty.  

7 hours ago, Cramarossa said:

Not the ending I wanted, but it was a valiant comeback and exciting in the end. Great job, Canucks. See you tomorrow (later today) CDCers!

7 hours ago, spook007 said:

Credit where credits due... The boys didn't give up and play well in the third as well as in O.T.  

Too bad Brock isn't playing. Would have loved to see him in the shoot out

Watched the first half of the game in real time and the second half on PVR this morning (Saturday). Here are my takeaways.

1. The Sedins had an excellent shift late in the 3rd period leading to Tanev's goal. But for most the game they did not do much. No surprise. Obviously they are not fighting for spots and, at their age, fatigue and nagging injuries will be an issue by the end of the season (as was true for the last 3 seasons). So they should be coasting right now. And they are. So, I don't think it is really rust. I think it is just a matter of pacing themselves.

2. Tanev did not look rusty at all. He had an excellent game and was the Canucks' best D easily. Guddy is a bit of a puzzle for me. I was watching him closely and he looked good -- playing a physical game, supporting the offense, trying hard, skating well for his size. He looks like he should be very good. But he was out of position on the 2nd and 3rd LA goals and failed to make earlier plays on both those goals that could have prevented the opportunity. I think if Tanev was on the ice LA does not get either of those goals. I still think Guddy can be a valuable player this year but he "looks better" than he really is. Tanev is the opposite. He just always makes the smart play and, if he is playing really well, hardly gets noticed. (Of course his goal tonight got noticed.)

3. The best line by far for the Canucks was the Baertschi-Granlund line. Baertschi was the guy really driving play. To me he has been the best Canuck forward on the China trip. Vanek made a nice play on Baertshi's goal but is generally not very visible.

4. I agree with @Jaimito and @Cramarossa that it was impressive to see the Canucks come back despite being down by two goals twice.

5. Finally, I am on the same page as @spook007 about Boeser. Overall, he has been the most impressive Canuck in preseason so far in my view. Can't see how he fails to make the team in any kind of open competition. I understand the "asset management" and "developmental" reasons for sending him to Utica but I don't buy it. A guy this good deserves to be in the NHL.

2 hours ago, 6string said:

Jet lag will be a factor for a week or so, in the late 97/98 when they returned from Japan they said it took up to two weeks to fully recover.

What a fiasco that period was! Let's hope Green fares better than Tom Renney...

I have to say that I felt Eriksson finally had an effective game...his passes made it through and he wasn't just skating in circles, his effort has been great both games and now a bit of luck on another 3-5 foot goal...right up his alley.

Granlund was the best player the first game and the second game, along with Baer, who had a more aggressive game with fewer mistakes.

Edler played very steady...did not try any pinches or fancy plays..just what he needs to do.

Dorsett had good energy and that line with Sutter had a decent game but Sutter should be showing more.

Wiercioch was alright...good skater...completed some nice passes and stood his ground well.

Biega was solid.

Tanev was the best D.

Upshall did not show enough for another game.

Burmistrov did show enough for another game. 

Overall if we had more consistent  reffing ....and less net's coming off at in-opportune times...the team should be more competitive than last year...

With the addition of Boeser and Rodin and the deletion of Boucher and Upshall ...some more goals will be scored and less goals against.

We may win a few games this year if were not careful.....

47 minutes ago, JamesB said:

Watched the first half of the game in real time and the second half on PVR this morning (Saturday). Here are my takeaways.

1. The Sedins had an excellent shift late in the 3rd period leading to Tanev's goal. But for most the game they did not do much. No surprise. Obviously they are not fighting for spots and, at their age, fatigue and nagging injuries will be an issue by the end of the season (as was true for the last 3 seasons). So they should be coasting right now. And they are. So, I don't think it is really rust. I think it is just a matter of pacing themselves.

2. Tanev did not look rusty at all. He had an excellent game and was the Canucks' best D easily. Guddy is a bit of a puzzle for me. I was watching him closely and he looked good -- playing a physical game, supporting the offense, trying hard, skating well for his size. He looks like he should be very good. But he was out of position on the 2nd and 3rd LA goals and failed to make earlier plays on both those goals that could have prevented the opportunity. I think if Tanev was on the ice LA does not get either of those goals. I still think Guddy can be a valuable player this year but he "looks better" than he really is. Tanev is the opposite. He just always makes the smart play and, if he is playing really well, hardly gets noticed. (Of course his goal tonight got noticed.)

3. The best line by far for the Canucks was the Baertschi-Granlund line. Baertschi was the guy really driving play. To me he has been the best Canuck forward on the China trip. Vanek made a nice play on Baertshi's goal but is generally not very visible.

4. I agree with @Jaimito and @Cramarossa that it was impressive to see the Canucks come back despite being down by two goals twice.

5. Finally, I am on the same page as @spook007 about Boeser. Overall, he has been the most impressive Canuck in preseason so far in my view. Can't see how he fails to make the team in any kind of open competition. I understand the "asset management" and "developmental" reasons for sending him to Utica but I don't buy it. A guy this good deserves to be in the NHL.

on the one goal guddy went and took his guy in the corner/wall area....it was wericoch who followed them into the corner rather than park himself in front of the the net...La guy was all alone 

Archived