The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks recall Michael Chaput

-Vintage Canuck-

14 minutes ago, Mattrek said:

Please tell me Burmistrov won't be on as the 2nd line C. Switch him and Horvat up and I'm happy. Glad we have a coach who is wiling to make changes when things aren't working (here's looking at you Willie let's try the same thing a million times, one time it'll surely work Desjardins). Putting Granlund back with the Sedins is a smart move given how well they played last year.

I love the Granlund with the Sedins move. Granlund should be put in a position where he can succeed. The Sedins were never known to be fast skaters especially now with age, so it makes sense putting Granlund there with his speed and willingness to shoot (never liked Vanek with the Sedins). I thought Horvat had a very good start in his first two games, but he wasn't the same player the last two games. This sends a message to other players as well, and hopefully, it will motivate Horvat to play better.

6 minutes ago, riffraff said:

I'm not sure I see the value of having vanek on the fourth line.  but given the other lines you've set up the only other option for the fourth would be jake and that serves no purpose either.

i saw one of your earlier posts suggesting virt with the sedins which I would like to see.

personally id give Archie a chance on the fourth over vanek but that's not going to happen for obvious optic and peace keeping reasons.

agreed, Vanek to the press box is fine with me.  only put him on the fourth because I wouldn't put him on any of the 1st, 2nd or 3rd.

I don't see a problem with this as a temporary call-up, Chaput might not have set the world on fire last season, but I don't think he embarrassed himself either. We've got to keep in mind that this rebuild is not a short-term thing, the young guys we're hoping will come through need the time to develop to their full potential. Let's hope they get it.

1 hour ago, Chip Kelly said:

How is it irrational all those guys were bad last game.

I don't see what Gagner even does out there. 

Probably has been the worst Canucks skater to start the season.

He doesn't seem to have found any chemistry with his mates.

He should serve a healthy scratch but will not because he is a veteran and therefore is exempt.

Pineapple! 

Way too much complaining about Goldobin not having been recalled imo.

With Sutter out, the Canucks could use a reasonably effective defensive center to insert into the lineup.

Chaput was exactly that last year - very strong defensively, worked hard every shift, won the majority of his faceoffs....

People complaining that he didn't score are whiffing on the fact that he played with a bunch of replacement players (linemates and blueline) - and his job was not to score, nor could he be expected to under the circumstances.

We all saw Goldobin last fall - highly talented but lacking aggressiveness, not really engaging in puck battles - needing some more work on his game without the puck.

As someone else pointed out, that's exactly what he's getting right now, not unlike Baertschi's stint in Utica in his early Canuck days.

Goldobin will get his chance soon enough - nothing to pine about quite yet imo.

Reasonable call up, he's not lights out but busts his butt when he plays. Can play wing and centre if any other injuries happen. Chaput also looked decent on the PK last year and this preseason. As many have said, best leave the young studs get the time in with big minutes and get stronger than sir them in the presser. 

16 minutes ago, oldnews said:

With Sutter out, the Canucks could use a reasonably effective defensive center to insert into the lineup.

Chaput was exactly that last year - very strong defensively, worked hard every shift, won the majority of his faceoffs....

This is exactly what I admire about him and don't mind the call up. Goldy will get his chance.

Seee this is the thing Gagner has gotten most his points playing center yet green is playing him LW why not bring up another shooting forward in goldy and put gagne down the middle so boggled by bringing up a guy who gets 1 pt every 20 played i guess we need to be more defensive instead of putting pucks in the net 

As long as Virtanen doesn't sit because of Chaput, I'm okay with this. He's basically going to be sitting in the press box. I'd rather call up Boucher/Goldobin/Rodin when there's a very clear opening for them, those kinds of players don't need to sit in the press box.

Just happy Megna didn't get called up.

5 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Wow.  Not in your favour eh?

i would have thought you were busy finding virtue;)::D 

Meh.  He's a bit better than I anticipated - at least without the puck - but have never been a fan.  Not really been a fan of any floater / player that is vacant or lazy when not in possession.

He's working a bit harder than I'd expected, but still, he's pretty slow and therefore not a very good fit with the Sedins, and otherwise not sure where he fits in the up-tempo game they're seeking to play.  Crafty around the net though - may get some goals regardless of where he plays, but I like the depth the team has and don't really consider him a great deal better than a number of guys I'd consider him to be competing with for minutes.

Archived