The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Vadim Shipachyov given permission to seek trade

4 hours ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

Whenever the Canucks do something unbelievably stupid, I'll have to remember that, no matter how incompetent it was, it wasn't half as bone-headed as how Vegas handled Shipachyov this year!...

Sorry Vegas is a team I'm very happy to see go off the rails. What did Vegas do other than offer him a $2 million dollar signing bonus and $3 million for year 1 and $4 million for year two. Taking a gamble on a KHL'er would translate his play into the NHL? Sometimes things don't always pan out. 

Eliteprospects even said:

Shipachyov is a skilled center with excellent on-ice vision. He skates very well and with a fluid stride. Owns great offensive instincts and likes to have the puck on his stick. Could improve his all-around game. Isn't overly efficient in physical battles.

VS would be interesting if his cap hit wasn’t so high.

Like some of said here there must be underlying issues as to why he can’t crack the Vegas lineup. While i’m Just speculating it probably has to do with his attitude towards management and how he’s affecting the dressing room. The guy signed with a new team and was dubbed as their top line C all summer. He probably came into camp with the mentality the he would be playing on the top line if not centering the second line. After starting the year in the AHL( well not really but he was assigned) he gets recalled to only play 10 minutes a game for 3 games and not in a scoring role. That would frustrate your avg player let alone someone who uprooted their life and everything they had just to come to Vegas to begin with. 

I believe a change of scenery would do him good and a team like the Yotes or even reuniting him with Dadonov in Florida could see him return to form with a new attitude. 

The biggest question comes down to cost, what does Vegas want for him? If he has the option to bolt back to the KHL will Vegas just take anything instead of losing him for nothing?  Is it worth it for a team to even pick him up cheap with his  expensive salary and possibility that he may bolt? 

Really interested to see how this one unfolds. 

I heard the reason why he couldn't crack the lineup was that he wasn't in tip top shape and that Gallant was having a hard time penciling him into the lineup when the team is playing so well. The comments I heard said nothing of him having a poor attitude. He moved his wife and kids here from Russia too so he wants to be in the NHL.

6 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Sorry Vegas is a team I'm very happy to see go off the rails. What did Vegas do other than offer him a $2 million dollar signing bonus and $3 million for year 1 and $4 million for year two. Taking a gamble on a KHL'er would translate his play into the NHL? Sometimes things don't always pan out. 

Eliteprospects even said:

Shipachyov is a skilled center with excellent on-ice vision. He skates very well and with a fluid stride. Owns great offensive instincts and likes to have the puck on his stick. Could improve his all-around game. Isn't overly efficient in physical battles.

Ummm, I actually watched some of Vegas's games and Shipachyov played well in the few games he got into the line-up.  In fact, he's what, a +3 in three games.

7 hours ago, Spitfire_Spiky said:

That would frustrate your avg player let alone someone who uprooted their life and everything they had just to come to Vegas to begin with. 

+1.

He was obviously promised something that he was not given. And it's not because of his play - it's because of McPhee f-ing up the expansion draft, and taking too many D, and not enough waiver ineligible players.

On top of this not only did he uproot his life, he gave up an absolute lock to play the Olympics for this...just to sit in his hotel room? I'd be PO'd too.

5 hours ago, D-Money said:

+1.

He was obviously promised something that he was not given. And it's not because of his play - it's because of McPhee f-ing up the expansion draft, and taking too many D, and not enough waiver ineligible players.

On top of this not only did he uproot his life, he gave up an absolute lock to play the Olympics for this...just to sit in his hotel room? I'd be PO'd too.

Then again... he's getting paid 5 million as his minor league salary... 

I don't see why he doesn't just focus on making it back on the team. It's not like his salary went from 5 mill to 900k for being demoted.

10 minutes ago, apollo said:

Then again... he's getting paid 5 million as his minor league salary... 

I don't see why he doesn't just focus on making it back on the team. It's not like his salary went from 5 mill to 900k for being demoted.

Again, it's not because he's not playing well. And exactly how is he supposed to "focus on making it back on the team"? He's not even on the minor league team! He's sitting in Vegas with his family, not even able to train with the team.

The only thing holding him back right now is waiting for McPhee to free up a roster spot, because he doesn't want to risk losing anyone to waivers. Vadim is just sitting and rotting, when all he wants to do is play hockey.

1 minute ago, D-Money said:

Again, it's not because he's not playing well. And exactly how is he supposed to "focus on making it back on the team"? He's not even on the minor league team! He's sitting in Vegas with his family, not even able to train with the team.

The only thing holding him back right now is waiting for McPhee to free up a roster spot, because he doesn't want to risk losing anyone to waivers. Vadim is just sitting and rotting, when all he wants to do is play hockey.

Hmmm you're right... I thought he was in Chicago playing. Regardless... I think he needs to be patient with the process. His team is doing well, they are trying to manage their assets and he's sitting in VEGAS not that dumpster Chicago. 

Take a pay cheque and go have some fun?! I'm sure there's plenty of fun things he can do with his weekly paycheques... they must all be over 100K... 

I understand the ego aspect of it, but he's getting paid the same regardless. 

On 10/26/2017 at 5:01 PM, oldnews said:

Vegas GM McPhee given permission to do his job and find a trade.

Any chance he deals with his old team and gives them Shipy for cheapsies after costing the Caps Filip Forsberg for renting a declining Martin freaking Erat.

That or I could see him work with Tallon and trade him to Florida to pair with Dadonov.

I agree that this is a problem with management.  By all accounts, Shipyachov played well enough to make the team in pre-season but he was sent to the AHL as one of the few waiver exempt players under contract.  Given the fact that he moved his family over, it's understandable that he doesn't want to be separated from them.  IIRC, he did report to Chicago briefly.  Should he get in his reps in the AHL right now?  Probably, if only to keep him on top of his game.  But this has dragged on for far longer than it should.

Vegas is burying Shea Theodore in the AHL right now as well for essentially the same reason.  The guy has 9 pts in 5 games.  He at least deserves a chance.

The ridiculous thing in all of this is how well the team has been playing.  Having said that, maybe this is the best time for Vegas to sell some players who are playing at an unsustainable capacity.

Archived