The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vegas Golden Knights vs. Vancouver Canucks

-Vintage Canuck-

6 hours ago, apollo said:

Can't agree with you there... both played much better vs LA and even SJ in the shutout loss. Last night wasn't the same... 

Aside from the top line, not many guys gave it their all IMO. Not sure if it was fatigue from first game back from a road trip or what... but it just wasn't there. 

I'm hoping Daniel / Henrik re-sign next year for 1-2 mill AAV each and continue to play but with a lesser role. I don't think this should be their last season... unless they are asking for north of 3mill each...

Apollo

So, we sign them for one more year and give them ice time based on past accomplishments.......a couple questions

What happens if they are not finished their decline and come out and embarrass themselves? Will that help the team? 

Is this year and possibly next year, years of how to lead by example? (aka backcheck) Do you honestly believe that?

1 hour ago, Laheys Liquor said:

We got out-worked by another team that relies on carrying the momentum to win games. Similar to our style. 

Couple bad bounces but it wasn't even close to the worst effort they have displayed yet, this year. 

But coming on here you would think we just got smashed 8-2 and the sky is falling. 

Can't we all just be grateful that we don't have to watch Willie's system and Megna/Chaput every night? Lol

On to the next one! Going to the game tomorrow, hoping for a great bounce back effort! 

Into the belly of the beastiality..take pics for evidence.

1 hour ago, ilduce39 said:

You can’t claim they have the clout to demand prime ice but then have no say over their winger. 

Their playing time isn’t some silly conspiracy.  They’re being deployed like a sheltered offensive 4th line 5 v 5 and given PP time.  Their 5 v 5 ice is primarily in the o zone but it’s the lowest on the team.

Why?  aside from the Horvat line, Vanek and an anomaly in Dorsett no one else is producing.  They’re 6-7 in forward scoring and really without Dorsett they’re 5-6.  They get offensive opportunities but aren’t getting nearly the minutes they used to. When Bo’s line isn’t available they’re still the next best bet to score.

They’re struggling on the PP and the coaches have changed it up pairing them with Bo and Brock.  We’ll see how it goes.

It’s tactics not some misguided sense of respect from the organization/coach. 

Perhaps though none of us know.  What we do know is that up to and imcluding the Pittsburgh game, their icetime was declining to where it hit around.9-10minutes.  the team was playing well and had a convincing victory over the Pens.  

Following that game, Green admitted sitting down with the twins and discussing their icetime.  Since then, they are seeing around 15+ minutes per game.  Interesting how the team's drop in intensity and cohesiveness coincided with the icetime change.

1 hour ago, ilduce39 said:

You can’t claim they have the clout to demand prime ice but then have no say over their winger. 

Their playing time isn’t some silly conspiracy.  They’re being deployed like a sheltered offensive 4th line 5 v 5 and given PP time.  Their 5 v 5 ice is primarily in the o zone but it’s the lowest on the team.

Why?  aside from the Horvat line, Vanek and an anomaly in Dorsett no one else is producing.  They’re 6-7 in forward scoring and really without Dorsett they’re 5-6.  They get offensive opportunities but aren’t getting nearly the minutes they used to. When Bo’s line isn’t available they’re still the next best bet to score.

They’re struggling on the PP and the coaches have changed it up pairing them with Bo and Brock.  We’ll see how it goes.

It’s tactics not some misguided sense of respect from the organization/coach. 

Vanek looks good some games too; however, he has something to play for and prove in order to get an extension.

On the other hand, the Sedins, if they want to, can keep playing because it will be their decision...not managements to keep playing...can't understand TL's logic by saying this; especially if the Sedins aren't producing, rather they will be taking up roster spots, which will not allow for others to develop.

1 hour ago, Crabcakes said:

Every coach the Canucks have had over the last 10 years has raved about the leadership group the Canucks have.  Nothing to fear here.

4 coaches in 5 years...maybe TG will start to see that it isn't working with this leadership group. If not, he too will fear for his job...he will have something to fear soon if he doesn't see.

6 minutes ago, Pete M said:

4 coaches in 5 years...maybe TG will start to see that it isn't working with this leadership group. If not, he to will fear for his job...he will have something to fear soon if he doesn't see.

4 coaches in 5 years isn't much of an argument for the Sedin's being coach killers.  

I think you're just making up a controversy.  Good luck with that.

18 hours ago, luckylager said:

Wouldn't it be nice eh.. But I'm afraid they don't have the necessary passion left in their hearts to stick a neck out. Neither does Edler.

If they were going to do it, they would have done it already. 

Even a month ago I was holding onto the hope that the twins would shake off the rust, harness their inner viking and show us they're not done AND will be able to be effective support players for a couple more years.... Well that ain't happening. Not even close.

They're over the hill. Yeah they stay in good shape, but the average 20-25 year old hockey player can skate circles around them, and easily manage their depleted capabilities. 

Fast teams with an aggressive forecheck are exposing not only how slow they skate, but that their skill sets have declined. Honestly, when I'm sitting here thinking they can hardly take a pass anymore... Ouch.

Agreed. Keeping them on the team past this season is an exercise is impotent nostalgia. Pointless. 

We have two lines that can cope with the speed and aggressiveness Vegas brought last night, coupled with the fact our D was literally crapping themselves when faced with a fast, tight 2-1-2 forecheck it's obviously time to accept our position in the bottom 1/3rd.

Yeah, the mix of players is still a bit of a cluster&^@#. Benning's plan is somewhat confusing. He drafts like a champ, but his trade and FA record is as bipolar as my post history. Baertschi, Granlund, Gudbranson and the like were good choices. Eriksson was somewhat questionable, but I still think that he might be able to make something from it. Del Zotto was a great signing, as was Vanek for a one year rental. Gagner sucks. 

Rebuilding, right? Or not rebuilding right. Kinda the same scenario as the last few years.

The massive drop in ticket sales is indication enough of fans not quite buying the overall trajectory. Unlike Toronto and Edmonton, Vancouver fans have a bit more self respect than to pay good money for inconsistent play. Some call it being fickle, I call it being shrewd. 

Like, what in the f is Edler's deal? Returns from injury, plays two pretty strong games then decides it's time to drop a steamer every time he has to move the puck or play defence.

I'm tired of his inconsistency. He has all the tools and has shown the ability, but lacks the drive to rise to the occasion. 

Then there's Al Dente, that dude sucks. I don't care that he made it low enough to the net and managed a kick pass to Bo. I don't care. Also, he got caught with his head down ffs, that's a benching. For his own good, too. He's out there playing like a marshmallow while Jake watches from the press box. We would have benefitted from Jake playing last night.

Gagner is the very meaning of mediocrity. A huge mistake on Benning's part. Not the veteran that the youth should learn from. 

The twins, Gagner, Burmy, Gaunce and to a lesser extent Granny, need to step up. Eriksson is a whole other story. At least Tommy Gun is putting up points, I guess that should help boost his value come TDL.

Mediocrity breeds mediocrity. I have faith in Granlund and Gaunce. Eriksson has the ability. 

Sad to say, but the leadership on this team is detrimental to success now and in the future. I've resigned myself to acceptance of our Lottery Team status.

And yes, I'm a sore loser. So what

The leadership on this team needs to be passed on officially. It's time for Horvat to get the C. He's earned it. 

2 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Apollo

So, we sign them for one more year and give them ice time based on past accomplishments.......a couple questions

What happens if they are not finished their decline and come out and embarrass themselves? Will that help the team? 

Is this year and possibly next year, years of how to lead by example? (aka backcheck) Do you honestly believe that?

They are leaders, and they are valuable to the team. 

I am really tired of seeing Virtanen get benched for 3rd game..Honestly Jake adds a element to the team we don't have?

A forward that is big with speed and attacks on fore check at 6'1, 215 lbs.. He adds excitement and has matured so much in 1 yr.

The Sedins are back at 16 mins?? Crazy crazy maybe 11-13 mins average..

Need to have Grandlund on line to succeed , 1. Boeser - Bo - Bart

2. Jake - Grandlund - Vanek (Gagner)

3. Sedin - Sedin - Erickson

4.Gaunce - Sutter - Dorsett

Give Virtanen a few games playing 12-14 mins with some talent.. Please Pease Nilsson in net he deserves to play more.

Nilsson is playing better then Markstrom..

6 minutes ago, wildcam said:

I am really tired of seeing Virtanen get benched for 3rd game..Honestly Jake adds a element to the team we don't have?

A forward that is big with speed and attacks on fore check at 6'1, 215 lbs.. He adds excitement and has matured so much in 1 yr.

The Sedins are back at 16 mins?? Crazy crazy maybe 11-13 mins average..

Need to have Grandlund on line to succeed , 1. Boeser - Bo - Bart

2. Jake - Grandlund - Vanek (Gagner)

3. Sedin - Sedin - Erickson

4.Gaunce - Sutter - Dorsett

Give Virtanen a few games playing 12-14 mins with some talent.. Please Pease Nilsson in net he deserves to play more.

Nilsson is playing better then Markstrom..

#FREEJV18

12 hours ago, apollo said:

They are leaders, and they are valuable to the team. 

Apollo

I applaud your commitment, and it is with extremely mixed feelings,(that I am sure everyone feels) that I now comment

It is profoundly difficult to criticize their recent play, when they are still contributing, yet shells of their former selves

Age, especially in pro-sports, has a very cruel send off in most cases

And I can not imagine the internal fight, between their unbelievable drive that makes them a professional hockey player and the reality that is transcending them

If we find some of their shifts painful

Imagine how they feel

But I can assure everyone, that they approach every shift, with the same professionalism they have always had

I find it a very difficult time to judge them.....I jump all over the place

Their past contributions were crazy good.....recent ones not as much.......but I still have total respect for them

Thanks for reminding me!

16 hours ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

Perhaps though none of us know.  What we do know is that up to and imcluding the Pittsburgh game, their icetime was declining to where it hit around.9-10minutes.  the team was playing well and had a convincing victory over the Pens.  

Following that game, Green admitted sitting down with the twins and discussing their icetime.  Since then, they are seeing around 15+ minutes per game.  Interesting how the team's drop in intensity and cohesiveness coincided with the icetime change.

I think Green is coaching to win, period.  

Twins will play more in games where we’re down because they give a chance to score - they’ve actually generated a lot lately.  Probably play less when we’re up.  

Their PDO is pretty low indicating they probably should have more points than they do.

16 hours ago, Pete M said:

Vanek looks good some games too; however, he has something to play for and prove in order to get an extension.

On the other hand, the Sedins, if they want to, can keep playing because it will be their decision...not managements to keep playing...can't understand TL's logic by saying this; especially if the Sedins aren't producing, rather they will be taking up roster spots, which will not allow for others to develop.

Yeah Vanek is #4 Sedins 5/6. Vanek hasn’t had a nice season, especially considering the price.  

I think those comments were a public courtesy towards the twins.  Totally doubt they have carte blanche to return. I also doubt they’re back next year... the only way would be in the same capacity but with Vanek/Gagner/etc being moved at the TDL.  I love depth but we need some room for mobility for Gaudette/Goldy.

Archived