The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks place Rodin on unconditional waivers

SvenBae

Sad that his re-injury last year pretty much derailed his NHL career.

I'm starting to wonder about Canucks' medical staff at times.  I know players will always try to tough it out or whatnot, but shouldn't the medical staff step in and go "Hey... your injury hasn't heal, dial it down!"

Rodin coming back when he wasn't ready, the disconnect with Hodgon's injury and the Canucks' doctors, etc.... maybe the Canucks need to bring in some 3rd non-affiliated set of medical staffs to double check everything before allowing a player to play/train/whatever.  

back to the summer of 2016 I'm lookin at utube clips of this guy and phillip Larson thinking, hoping,praying they were going to help turn things around for the canucks, didn't really   see much contribution from either, unfortunate injuries for both

7 minutes ago, mll said:

He is probably hoping that someone picks his contract up.  He said he had other options but decided to sign with Vancouver.  He signed just before free agency and probably didn't expect Benning to also bring in Vanek, Gagner and Burmistrov.  That left only two open spots and these were earned by Boeser and Virtanen.

I really think Jim signed too many F's this offseason, but hey at least we have Gagner for two more seasons after this one.... 

Its too bad, this will have to live on in the 'what if' category. I am a little surprised that Cull couldn't find more time for him though. 

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I really think Jim signed too many F's this offseason, but hey at least we have Gagner for two more seasons after this one.... 

Its too bad, this will have to live on in the 'what if' category. I am a little surprised that Cull couldn't find more time for him though. 

I think that probably says something it itself. If the player had earned the ice time I’m sure full would have given it to him. There are other veterans that could have been sat in order for Rodin to play. Guess Cull figured he had better options. 

6 minutes ago, Roger Neilson's Towel said:

I think that probably says something it itself. If the player had earned the ice time I’m sure full would have given it to him. There are other veterans that could have been sat in order for Rodin to play. Guess Cull figured he had better options. 

true dat. I guess its hard not to feel bad for him and wonder what could have been. Would have liked to see him on our PP tho. 

26 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

Sad that his re-injury last year pretty much derailed his NHL career.

It was more the injuries he suffered the first time he was over here in the AHL a number of years ago.  Props to him for giving it all in his return - nothing to be ashamed about that he just fell short (his body just couldn't make it).

56 minutes ago, zzbottom said:

The most hyper-inflated prospect in recent Vancouver history. He was never strong enough to be a legitimate NHL player. The question is, do you think he will score 25 goals or 30 goals next season???

Uh, no.  He looked to have Baertschi-like potential and made the team last year.  Maybe the injuries can never be overcome, but such a shame as we certainly could have used his offense and he wanted and tried so hard to make it to the big show.

46 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Honestly, had he not re-injured himself or rushed himself back into the line-up last year, he would've been on our team. He was lights out in pre-season last year (led our team in pre-season with 6 or 7 points) and then he reinjured his knee or whatever which he had surgery on months before and he was out for basically the entire season again. If he was healthy last year, you would have never seen Megna.

I watched lone of last year's pre-season's games live with the main purpose of watching him play, and in all honesty, he wasn't very noticeable - like at all (perhaps from injury?). He was slow , weak on the puck, tentative, a major liability on defense, and depended on others to create for him. He did seem to have good hockey IQ on O just based on where he would skate. But for where the Canucks' team is in their rebuild, he just wasn't the right fit. With all the effort and sacrifice he has put in to his dream, I hope he joins another team who has can minimize his many weaknesses and maximize his strengths. 

1 minute ago, Hutton Wink said:

Uh, no.  He looked to have Baertschi-like potential and made the team last year.  Maybe the injuries can never be overcome, but such a shame as we certainly could have used his offense and he wanted and tried so hard to make it to the big show.

At the start of the season, I was very bullish on Rodin and focused on him. I think you need to watch all of his shifts (not just the highlights) in the NHL and perhaps the AHL (note: not Europe) games and just focus on him and you'll see that his impact was nowhere near Baertschi's. A lot of other writers have also mentioned his weaknesses. I'm still rooting for him, but he just wasn't very good.

Archived