The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Three Canuck Prospects Named to Canada's WJC Final Selection Camp

JamesB

Great to see all three contending prospects named to Canada's WJC final selection camp roster. See https://www.tsn.ca/wide-open-competition-for-spots-as-canada-names-wjc-camp-roster-1.936223.

DiPietro is widely regarded as a favorite to make the final cut. Gadjovich also looks likely to make the team as he adds some size and grit and a team that will have a lot of scoring talent (and he can score too). Lind is probably on or just outside the bubble and will need a good selection to make it.

Lockwood was named to the U.S. final selection camp roster, Juolevi was (of course) named the Finnish team, and Pettersson will be on the Swedish. The Canucks could have 6 prospects on the top 5 teams at the WJC. They are almost certain to have at least 4 and I would predict 5. Not sure if that has happened before.

And Juolevi and Pettersson could be candidates for MVP at the tournament.

Too bad Dahlen is just a few weeks too old to qualify or he would be there too on the Swedish team.

It should be a lot of fun for Canuck fans to follow the WJC this year.

17 minutes ago, JamesB said:

Great to see all three contending prospects named to Canada WJC final selection roster. See https://www.tsn.ca/wide-open-competition-for-spots-as-canada-names-wjc-camp-roster-1.936223.

DiPietro is widely regarded as a favorite to make the final cut. Gadjovich also looks likely to make the team and he adds some size and grit and a team that will have a lot of scoring talent (and he can score too). Lind is probably on or just outside the bubble and will need a good selection to make it.

Lockwood was named to the U.S. final selection roster, Juolevi was (of course) named the Finnish team, and Pettersson will be on the Swedish. The Canucks could have 6 prospects on the top 5 teams at the WJC. They are almost certain to have at least 4 and I would predict 5. Not sure if that has happened before.

And Juolevi and Pettersson could be candidates for MVP at the tournament.

Too bad Dahlen is just a few weeks too old to qualify or he would be there too on the Swedish team.

It should be a lot of fun for Canuck fans to follow the WJC this year.

I don't know the history, have we ever had 6 players in the WJs?

If its a Canada-Sweden final I hope they show it at Rogers if they can, it would be fun to watch with a bunch of fans.

*cough* Cale Makar from that "lesser league" who i was told most likely wouldn't go top 5 was also named.  So was Dante Fabbro of the same quality "lesser league" 

Both ridiculously smooth skating puck moving defensemen

I am shocked at the skill left off this team but am happy to see that there's a small movement away from the former "they got drafted so they're in" mentality that has been so prominent over the last few years

Lind, Gadj and Dipietro together on one team would be awesome to watch.  Start building that chemistry early

17 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I don't know the history, have we ever had 6 players in the WJs?

If its a Canada-Sweden final I hope they show it at Rogers if they can, it would be fun to watch with a bunch of fans.

Based on what I’ve read, Sweden and Finland are the two best teams on paper. Could have a pettersson v joulevi final?

1 minute ago, Isam said:

I think they got good shot, both have impressed in the Canada vs Russia series. Like to see Lind play with McLeod.

Totally agree.  I think we need to build a balanced team.  There is a lot of politics in the choices though, which too often hurts our team.

Should be an exciting WJC for Canucks fans and hockey fans, in general.  Looks like Sweden and Finland will have some strong rosters with excellent prospects on both teams to compete with the traditionally strong Canada and USA teams.

Even if Lind, Gadjovich or Dipietro don't make it, Pettersson and Juolevi should be locks for their teams, and it should be exciting for us Canucks fans.

I will be heading to the open practice's on the 12th and 13th and perhaps the game on the 13th (IDK if I can commit because I have an exam the next morning, and a flight back to Van on the 14th). I will try and gauge whatever I can from these practices.

4 hours ago, Warhippy said:

*cough* Cale Makar from that "lesser league" who i was told most likely wouldn't go top 5 was also named.  So was Dante Fabbro of the same quality "lesser league" 

Both ridiculously smooth skating puck moving defensemen

I am shocked at the skill left off this team but am happy to see that there's a small movement away from the former "they got drafted so they're in" mentality that has been so prominent over the last few years

Lind, Gadj and Dipietro together on one team would be awesome to watch.  Start building that chemistry early

Just curious, despite the kids currently on NHL rosters, what skill are you referring to that was left off the selection camp roster - or is that who you were referring to (NHL players)? 

A few interesting names from the 2017 NHL draft left off Canada's roster are Michael Rasmussen (9th overall) Owen Tippett (10th) and Gabe Vilardi (11th). While guys like Conor Timmins (32nd), Marrio Ferraro (49th), Maxime Comtois (50th), Tyler Steenbergen (128th) and of course Kole Lind (33rd), Jonah Gadjovich (55th) and Michael DiPietro (64th). That looks pretty good on Jim Benning

One of Benning's best moves as gm has been the hiring of current director of amateur scouting Judd Brackett. Good hockey people surround themselves with good hockey people and I am absolutely loving what I'm hearing and seeing. I may even need a good pair of sunglasses whenever I look into the club's future because it's awfully bright.

Here's a great read from The Province's Ed Willes:

http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/ed-willes-world-junior-finally-offers-some-hope-for-canucks-faithful

On 2017-12-06 at 10:51 AM, ReggieBush said:

Pumped. I am most excited to see Lockwood tbh. The guy is a feisty son of a gun

I feel like for Vancouver fans he’s almost the forgotten prospect of the bunch. Not nearly as much coverage and hype so I’m with you it’ll be exciting to watch and see how he stacks up.

Every year recently there have been Canucks prospects playing that we didnt know about. 

Tryamkin

Juolevi

Palmu

Dahlen

Pettersson

Goldobin

All played in the WJC before becoming Canucks picks/players

We could see that trend continue with quite a few draft eligable players suiting up. Also trades at the deadline could add to that. 

Archived