Horvats_Big_Head

The Status of This Year's Team is Clear: A Big Head's Take

Rate this topic

Do you think we should trade Ben Hutton?   

124 members have voted

  1. 1. Do you think we should trade Ben Hutton?



Recommended Posts

After a great start to the year, which saw a remarkable uptick in quality of play versus previous years, the boys caught the injury bug. They are now 2-11 without Horvat in the lineup. Boeser has been an absolute stud, he and the Sedins can't carry this team. So the results are to be expected. 

 

That leaves us in the position we are now, tanking for a shot at the #1 pick and drafting our #1 D man that has eluded this franchise since birth. Yes, Horvat may come back in time and the team could get healthy for a miracle run at the playoffs, but this is very unlikely. We should be tanking which means trading our top UFA assets at the deadline. This would include trading Vanek (a 2nd?) and Gudbranson (3rd?) no question. 

 

This does NOT include trading one of our top young Defensemen, BEN HUTTON. Hutton needs to stay, as we are still not sure if Juolevi will amount to much. I sure think he will but Ben Hutton is our insurance piece. Plus he still could get better. Defensemen progress slower than forwards sometimes. Ben is just in a slump right now and will improve. Trade the vets and all of our useless prospects, such as Cassels. We traded Subban and that was great, but we now have too many prospects who we know will not amount to anything. 

 

Overall, it has been a very good first half of the season. Some of the most exciting Canucks hockey I've seen in over 5 years. And we are tanking for just one more year, then next year I expect us to take another step forwards. We are about to cash in on a lot of prospects ready to take over, and boy is it going to be a great ride. 

 

I added a poll to make this thread more interesting. Again, I need to stress that we cannot trade Ben Hutton. 

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You've got it backwards.  Vanek, 3rd, Gudbranson 2nd

 

Hutton even less

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nah, the kid still has room to improve I think. Trading him now would get us 4th? 3rd? Not sure if low draft pick is worth moving out a serviceable defenceman.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would like to see Hutton moved for the right price, if not, keep him, as insurance.  

 

The guy has had nothing but declined since his rookie season. It’s a head game with him.  We may be asking too much for a former 5th rounder. 

 

Would really like to see Edler, Vanek and Guddy (unless he re-signs) moves out. 

 

Gotta think that those three would garner some attention at the TDL. 

 

Really disapointed if Guddy moves on. I feel that Florida has tampered with him, two different times this year. First the Demers chatter, then the article claiming that Tallon wanted to have him back. 

 

Whatever happens this TDL, no pending FA’s should be lost without assists back. 

 

EmW

 

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, xereau said:

This team is still mired in the shadow of the Sedins.  Even with a 'lesser' role (not since Horvat and Sutter went down), the team still emulates their soft permeter, impossible fancy pass style of play.  The entire team has moved away from the relentless north south puck pursuit game that Green had them playing at the start of the season. I am going to as far as saying that this team has not even begun to rebuild until the twins are retired.

Are you saying that 2 players out of 18 skaters dictate how the other 16 players play? It's pretty clear this is a different team with Bo Horvat, whether he's wearing a C or no.

It's the composition of the team as a whole is the issue here. Dorsett until he re-aggravated his injury seemed to spark the team as well. If there's a fault here it's coaching relying too heavily on the Sedins, when they should be in the stage of thier careers where they are complimentary players. But then we lost our entire top line briefly, and still awaitng Bo and Sutter to come back. The scorers we have don't seem to be physical. And the physical/checking players can't score. We are only on year 3 of Benning's rebuild, we should be expecting pain. I also feel our coaching support staff of Baumgartner, Brown, and Cloutier is not getting the most out of our players. Specifically the power play, defence, and goaltending. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve been saying it for over a year now... trade Hutton. 

Find some playoff-type warriors, not the too-nice guys of the league to be among your biggest Dmen. He just doesn’t have that killer instinct. 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly, don't care for Hutton. The guy can barely make a break out pass. High off the glass is his go-to but if he wants to be anything but a 6/7 d-man, then he's gotta bare down and start making some plays. He is a good skater and has some size but needs to start using it to his advantage. Great hit on Orpik the other night and great job to shed the mitts afterwords. I would love to see that more often. If he starts playing with a bit of a mean streak I could see him turning into a good 5/6 d-man, with limited minutes. 

But there is no use trading him now as the return would be so low that it just ain't worth it.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Are you saying that 2 players out of 18 skaters dictate how the other 16 players play? It's pretty clear this is a different team with Bo Horvat, whether he's wearing a C or no.

It's the composition of the team as a whole is the issue here. Dorsett until he re-aggravated his injury seemed to spark the team as well. If there's a fault here it's coaching relying too heavily on the Sedins, when they should be in the stage of thier careers where they are complimentary players. But then we lost our entire top line briefly, and still awaitng Bo and Sutter to come back. The scorers we have don't seem to be physical. And the physical/checking players can't score. We are only on year 3 of Benning's rebuild, we should be expecting pain. I also feel our coaching support staff of Baumgartner, Brown, and Cloutier is not getting the most out of our players. Specifically the power play, defence, and goaltending. 

Yep, I am saying that the team emulates the Sedin's style of play, as part of a culture, as part of the inherent human behavioral profile to copy those around you.

  • Hydration 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I voted No

 

I do not believe in driving the value of my assets down to the lowest point and then trying to find a deal for them....

 

I say  BUY LOW  and  SELL HIGH......   

 

So i say No to moving Hutton at the is time...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

I’ve been saying it for over a year now... trade Hutton. 

Find some playoff-type warriors, not the too-nice guys of the league to be among your biggest Dmen. He just doesn’t have that killer instinct. 

I don't know, 189, he showed some serious backbone smoking Orpik and then throwing down with Smith-Pelly without any hesitation.

 

The vets are the ones who lack the killer instinct, in my opinion. They've been given authority to set the tone, and it's still the same one, a flaccid one.

 

Time to move on and forge a new identity. One that is based on winning at all costs, showing no mercy to the opposition, and backing up each others play without question.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How dare yeee insult sir Cassels.

 

to the dungeon for you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hutton's value is at an all time low.  He will rebound.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I don't know, 189, he showed some serious backbone smoking Orpik and then throwing down with Smith-Pelly without any hesitation.

 

The vets are the ones who lack the killer instinct, in my opinion. They've been given authority to set the tone, and it's still the same one, a flaccid one.

 

Time to move on and forge a new identity. One that is based on winning at all costs, showing no mercy to the opposition, and backing up each others play without question.

I'm still on team Hutton for now. If he can put all his tools together properly he can be a threat. He's very mobile for his size, can pass well, and if more confident can definietly shoot more from the point, which I haven't seen much of from him since his first season. It's like he's worried about flubbing the point shot all the time. In college he was fun to watch. If we do trade him I would hope for something solid and makes sense for the team... If it's something like a 3rd round pick, no way am I giving him up. He's still young enough that we have time to let him bounce back next year, then gauge his worth then.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, xereau said:

Yep, I am saying that the team emulates the Sedin's style of play, as part of a culture, as part of the inherent human behavioral profile to copy those around you.

For sure they are, the Sedins still dictate a lot of what goes on behind closed doors. Plus it's not like Green can play the north/south style he wants to with them. So he's handcuffed and has to adjust his game plan for them, because they cannot even remotely play that way. I don't blame either side. But I relish the day we move on from this style of play and go back to a more aggressive form of hockey. I loved my 94 Canucks, they weren't the best team, but full of heart and tough as nails, but they also could put the puck in the net. This team needs more piss and more vinigar...to put it politely...

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree we should keep Hutton unless we get a really good deal for him. For the amount I *think* we can get for him (which is very little considering he's darn near playing himself out of our lineup) we are better of not getting anything and hoping he can build on his rookie season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, xereau said:

This team is still mired in the shadow of the Sedins.  Even with a 'lesser' role (not since Horvat and Sutter went down), the team still emulates their soft permeter, impossible fancy pass style of play.  The entire team has moved away from the relentless north south puck pursuit game that Green had them playing at the start of the season. I am going to as far as saying that this team has not even begun to rebuild until the twins are retired.

As the season continues I totally agree. The guys were a handful for teams early on, its gone now. I look forward to the return of Sutter and Horvat. Horvat in my eyes is the glue that was holding this ship together with his play. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, beni said:

As the season continues I totally agree. The guys were a handful for teams early on, its gone now. I look forward to the return of Sutter and Horvat. Horvat in my eyes is the glue that was holding this ship together with his play. 

If you look at my post in the "predictions" thread it is pretty broad but it speaks to a trend of lower echelon teams starting off really good and then fading. Even in Edmonton's worst years they had good to great starts. Not all teams go through this but enough that it was my prediction based on all teams over past NHL seasons.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.