The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Are the Sedins future changing?

EdgarM

Am I the only one who seriously does not see the Twins help ANY team win the Cup?

I mean 8 years ago maybe (as long as it was either a tough team or they didn't meet a team like Boston) but be realistic, their defence is worse than it ever was they are so slow they look like they are skating in molasses and their perimeter game is now so predictable they struggle to be a dependable threat.

Part of the problem, as I see it, is two 37 year old Sedin twins is too much of a handicap for any team. However trading for one might work in as much as their deficit side is halved but in fact I think their "playing value" might be enhanced.

For example imagine Hank between Josh Anderson and Pierre Luc Dubois or alternatively (but not in addition) Danny with centre Jenner and RW Atkinson. It would mean that their skills could be used to make openings for these players while all four would have the youth and vitality to cover for one Sedin's lack of pace and defence. It would also force them to play a different type of game where they were able to control the puck with more options being available from more aggressive and younger line mates.

Our own refusal to try a prolonged period of splitting them up onto two lines has, imo hurt us and devalued them and I for one will not be unhappy to see them retire.

I don't blame them for wanting to continue to play on (I'm sure that will be their preference unless the Club and management come to their senses) I have loved their contribution both on and off the ice over the years but we need to get on with changing the style and identity of this team. We are in a rebuild, so let's get on with it. 

Guess it's that time of year again.  Even though all the Sedins do is repeatedly say they want to retire as Canucks.  But I'll bite.  Who has the payroll space for only one retained salary, and that has a limit too, so let's say who has 12 million in cap space and is a contender?  Pretty small list. Sure they can work around prorated for time spent but  overall payroll still has to come under the cap in both regular and post season.  Next year, with a much more reasonable salary, let's say they resign at 3-4 mil each, for one year, at the deadline I could see some contender swinging for the fences.

This year Vegas could probably make it work.  Ha.  If they win their  first year I will hate them forever in a fit of jealous rage for all time. Ugh.  How can a team built on middle six and third stringers be so good.

47 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Guess it's that time of year again.  Even though all the Sedins do is repeatedly say they want to retire as Canucks.  But I'll bite.  Who has the payroll space for only one retained salary, and that has a limit too, so let's say who has 12 million in cap space and is a contender?  Pretty small list. Sure they can work around prorated for time spent but  overall payroll still has to come under the cap in both regular and post season.  Next year, with a much more reasonable salary, let's say they resign at 3-4 mil each, for one year, at the deadline I could see some contender swinging for the fences.

This year Vegas could probably make it work.  Ha.  If they win their  first year I will hate them forever in a fit of jealous rage for all time. Ugh.  How can a team built on middle six and third stringers be so good.

Does anyone know exactly how the pay would go for rental players such as this? I thought the team getting them would have to pay for their services for the remainder of the season(after the trade deadline) but there is no pay for playoff games. So , the team taking them on would have to pay very little and then they are not responsible for them next year because their contracts are expiring. I thought that is what made them attractive to other teams. The only stipulation was to compensate the team you are getting them from.

This would be the perfect opportunity for the Twins to help their team(Same as Hansen and Burrows) in sacrificing a couple of months so that the team could acquire picks or prospects. I would think that if they really wanted to help this team then that is what they would do regardless if they wanted to chase the cup or not.

Then, if they really wanted to remain with the Canucks, resign next year if that is what both parties want.

Let's see... 

1.  Vanek is earning $2.6mil and is scoring at a slightly better rate than the Sedins (with more goals than both of them combined).

2.  The Sedins are earning $14mil.

So, how on Earth do you guys figure that the Sedins are worth multiple 1st round picks PLUS a grade-A prospect - when Vanek is only worth a 3rd?

16 hours ago, mll said:

Benning explained that his earlier trades were motivated to fill the age gap - why would he recreate one.  It's then the same problem over again.  The idea is to be able to replace ageing players regularly with younger players so that the age structure stays constant.

Did he fill the age gap with good NHL players?

15 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Doubt they changed their minds about where they want to finish their careers. Especially after the letter they wrote to the fans. I imagine this is just preliminary talks about next year for their next contract and so they know who they should look at moving out.

I posted a thread -Did The Sedins Just Give A Green Light For A Trade? - I got absolutely roasted for it, but I included several quotes from the Sedins over the last 4 years that at the very least hinted that they would be okay with a trade. True the letter came out more recently.

But you are probably correct in that the Canucks would want to know how much and how long the Sedins want to keep playing as that would influence who they would want back at the TDL. If they stay more than one year then the team goes for the playoffs and players to help that plan, if not, the rebuild. IF they say they would agree to be pure rentals for 20 or so games plus playoffs and then resign here for the swan song, those would be a different targeted player. The Sedins have their hand on the tiller.

50 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

I posted a thread -Did The Sedins Just Give A Green Light For A Trade? - I got absolutely roasted for it, but I included several quotes from the Sedins over the last 4 years that at the very least hinted that they would be okay with a trade. True the letter came out more recently.

But you are probably correct in that the Canucks would want to know how much and how long the Sedins want to keep playing as that would influence who they would want back at the TDL. If they stay more than one year then the team goes for the playoffs and players to help that plan, if not, the rebuild. IF they say they would agree to be pure rentals for 20 or so games plus playoffs and then resign here for the swan song, those would be a different targeted player. The Sedins have their hand on the tiller.

This is what bothers me. It should be in the best interest of the TEAM!!!

7 minutes ago, EdgarM said:
59 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

This is what bothers me. It should be in the best interest of the TEAM!!!

I think the team's stance is coming from Linden's last years in the league experience of being traded all over the place, I think he took it as being disrespectful personally and it has "coloured" his decisions.

Let the Sedins decide their future.  If they really want to have a last chance for the Cup and --if they are planning to retire at the end of this season, they would have request a trade themselves while they can still produce points but not ppg rate anymore.  If they aren't planning to retire but would sign with other team this summer, other teams might have a doubt about it and the twins might not be able to sign with other team and could return to Sweden to play out their final years of hockey career and miss out the Cup aspirations.   I think that the twins could help other team have a stronger 3rd or 4th line at a lower minutes than they are on the top 6.  I think that they will be even more effective helping other teams win games.  They can still dominate a few shifts in the offensive zone against inferior 3rd or 4th line in a match-up game.  

Here is what I would do, I would use a final salary retention spot on one of them and take a bad contract on their final year as well to even things out or trade for Hansen to get the retention spot back seeing that he is having a bad season by his standard and use 2 final spots to the twins in a trade and our returns would be a 2 1st for each of them, 2 grade A prospects and 2 roster spots with 2 additional conditional picks with 2 extra 1st if they win the cup and a future consideration for a Conn Smythe trophy this season with the help from the twins.  If that team wins cup, we'd have 4 1st in next 4 to 6 years, depends on how they agree which years they'd give up their 1st (unprotected lottery).  If they don't win the cup, we'd get 2 1st round in next two seasons.   I think that this is more than fair considering that they still have it with reasonable stats.   I still think that if the Sedin were to play with another team that is stacked but weaker 3rd or 4th line, a Sedin twin line will make their team even more stronger, imo.   

If it is not possible due to their maximum cap then I'd try to find a 3-way trade as a solution.   We might fetch lesser return with this solution but it's a return nevertheless.   That 3rd team might absorb the cap hit in exchange for picks from us to make room for the Sedin salary as an option and the stacked team might be able to keep their team by unloading some salary to 3rd team for some picks as well.   That 3rd team might be a bad team that have lots of cap space and they might need more picks and they could absorb some of the cap hit for picks.   A creative solution, it's possible to unload Sedin in a trade with their 14 million salary.   I'd give the bad team our picks, like 4th round or 5th round while other team gives a roster spot to a bad team but not picks to them about 4 million cap hit roster player while that team that is getting the Sedin giving us tons of picks, prospects, conditional picks as a solution.  

I just do not think that the management will do anything with the Sedin for obvious reason unless they request a trade.  

12 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Am I the only one who seriously does not see the Twins help ANY team win the Cup?

I mean 8 years ago maybe (as long as it was either a tough team or they didn't meet a team like Boston) but be realistic, their defence is worse than it ever was they are so slow they look like they are skating in molasses and their perimeter game is now so predictable they struggle to be a dependable threat.

Part of the problem, as I see it, is two 37 year old Sedin twins is too much of a handicap for any team. However trading for one might work in as much as their deficit side is halved but in fact I think their "playing value" might be enhanced.

For example imagine Hank between Josh Anderson and Pierre Luc Dubois or alternatively (but not in addition) Danny with centre Jenner and RW Atkinson. It would mean that their skills could be used to make openings for these players while all four would have the youth and vitality to cover for one Sedin's lack of pace and defence. It would also force them to play a different type of game where they were able to control the puck with more options being available from more aggressive and younger line mates.

Our own refusal to try a prolonged period of splitting them up onto two lines has, imo hurt us and devalued them and I for one will not be unhappy to see them retire.

I don't blame them for wanting to continue to play on (I'm sure that will be their preference unless the Club and management come to their senses) I have loved their contribution both on and off the ice over the years but we need to get on with changing the style and identity of this team. We are in a rebuild, so let's get on with it. 

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Hey if we could get some east coast GM that stopped paying much attention to them in the last 3 years then so be it. 

What I see as a possibility is that the Sedins had every intention of squeezing out another year and JB was open to it. 

But as things have gone with their clear drop in play, they may have gotten the word, or even just the sense from JB that he may just let them walk. 

And if that's the case, then it makes more sense to both the club and their chance at having an extra shot at the Cup if they were dealt in time for this year's run instead of waiting till the summer.

16 hours ago, alfstonker said:

I think one of the issues with this right now is we don't see them on a good team at the moment. I mean, let's be honest: we don't have a good team right now so there's going to be that chance for them to be better on a good team. They are still on pace to being 50+ point producers on a bad team. That's not bad for couple of 37 year olds. That's actually pretty good. Perhaps we're just not used to them being under 80+ so suddenly they are "has beens"? (and that could be argued depending on how you want to think about it) I don't really know.

I don't really see how splitting them up would really help things. It's a thought that might work, but that's all it is: just a thought. It's impossible to claim that things would be better if they were split up for a prolonged period of time as it simply hasn't happened. Perhaps in your opinion things would be better, but I just don't know how it could? Would there be some magical increased chemistry? In what way would it actually be better? I'm curious on what makes you think this way.

This all being said, I would be extremely surprised if they were traded. I'm not expecting it to happen when the Sedins have exclusively stated they want to finish their careers here.

On 1/19/2018 at 7:47 PM, Nuxfanabroad said:

Twins to CBJ (retain 3.5 mill on one)  ..10.5 mill AAV

For Wennberg, Sonny Milano & Jack Johnson ..10.1 mill AAV

-Then CBJ would add a pick(1st, 2nd or 3rd) pending performance

make PO's :3rd

win 2 rounds: 2nd

win 3 rounds: 1st

Wow.  Someone's been to the dispensary!

On 19/01/2018 at 6:56 PM, Drew.Doughty said:

they'd be moving away from their families for 4 months max... It's not like they have multiple years left on their contract. And i disagree. I bet they'd rather win one with any team then not win a stanley cup. That's why Iginla moved. Jagr always signs with a contender for dirt. List goes on.

You'd lose that bet. They've said several times they don't want to play for any other team and want to retire here.

Iginla moved because he was asked to waive his ntc. He didn't win the cup and signed with a team as a ufa that had no hope of a cup. He signed because his good friend was there.

Jagr signed with new Jersey and Florida because they were a contenders? lmao

On 19/01/2018 at 6:38 PM, BoeserSnipe said:

Then why care before the trade deadline? It sounds to me like their agent, is drumming up interest so that they don't have to 'ask to be moved'. Then they are moved at the deadline as offers come in - remember the  Canucks always said they would not ask them to be moved, it was up to them. The twins would never ask for it given if they aren't traded they tarnish their reputations here and also send a signal to the young guys they don't want to be here. The agent thus drums up incoming calls, JB then says hey guys, we're gettting calls.....trade, then re-sign them in July on 1 year contracts at 3 mil each.

It seems to me to be a 'strategy' to put them 'in play' in the deadline market IMHO

Benning said the Sedins won't be asked to waive as long as he's GM. That means the Sedins would have to ask to be moved. But they'd said several times they don't want to play for any other team. So.......

Archived