The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Chris Tanev's future as a Canuck, and Adam Gaudette

CRAZY_4_NAZZY

Add to him and upgrade for another pending UFA E Karlsson.

OTW is about to rebuild like others.

Doubt if Karlsson wants to go through that from the start..  we have rounded the corner on a rebuild.

My hunch, but front loaded, for aprx. 9m per, he would sign here for 6 years.

not an old player, just needs Re-kindling with our youth.

1 hour ago, prix57 said:

I been wanting to trade Tanev for a while now.  He is a good dman no question but lets be honest, he is 28 and the most games he has played in a season were 70, he makes Salo look like an ironman.  He should be traded before his stock plummets more.  He is in his prime and should be dealt but it sucks he is now injured.  Seems to always be the case when we have a decent available asset at the deadline...

Yeah his injuries definitely are becoming a concern. If a team deems him a good #3 D man Tho. With reduced minutes he might be able to stay healthy longer.  What does he lot when healthy does anyone know? 24-26?  

Maybe scale him back to 20-22 minute's per game against less leathal shooters maybe he can stay healthy longer.

10 minutes ago, DontMessMe said:

Tanev is not a top pairing D-man. Maybe on this team, but on other teams nah

I think he's a solid #3 on a very good team.  Maybe if u want more offensive you stack him on the 1st pairing to balance out offense on the first 2.

I think he needs less ice time and he needs to stop blocking so many shots.  He could have a long career still if just stopping taking so many bullets to the legs.

He probably walks around all season with massive bruises on his legs. Can't imagine that's comfortable.

If it’s means we can Get a big return  and more help the future which is the only thing that really matters right now, then it would make the most sense to trade him.

He won’t be here when the team turns around and if he is his effectiveness will not. 

I like tanev but don’t see the value in keeping a player who’s value seems to be peaking while the team is so thin now and in the future at every position.

1 hour ago, Down by the River said:

TDL is Feb 26th and Tanev is out until the 23rd:

I really like Tanev, but he is one of the least elusive top-4 dmen I've ever seen. Him and Hjarmalsson are perfectly fine skaters, but they always seem to find ways to get demolished.

If you can't manage to play 80% of your team's game on a regular basis, you're really not as valuable as your skill level makes you appear. It is hard to point fingers at a guy like Tanev because he is such a warrior for his team, but part of the value in a player is their ability to remain healthy. Tanev can't do this, and the result is that this team is consistently needing to ask other players to fill roles that are beyond their ability. 

Thanks. For some reason I had it in my head as 10 games. 

27 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Yeah his injuries definitely are becoming a concern. If a team deems him a good #3 D man Tho. With reduced minutes he might be able to stay healthy longer.  What does he lot when healthy does anyone know? 24-26?  

Maybe scale him back to 20-22 minute's per game against less leathal shooters maybe he can stay healthy longer.

His career ATOI (and this season's) is just under 20 mins.

Anyways, all this talk about Tanev is just talk. JB even said he won't move him unless "someone knock our socks off" (lol, such an old schooler. JB. Socks.) I don't see any "sock knocker offer" offers to roll in for an oft injured shut down specific Dman.

So, I'm really excited for Gaudette. I'll have to dig up an old thread if he doesn't sign pronto after his college year is finished. If not, hopefully JB could trade his rights to his fave childhood team, but JB is big on drafting charade and kids with good character would usual have honour in there.

He showed up huge in the biggest game of his young career. We need big game players, seems to be something we've lacked.

I hope JB can reel this kid in ASAP and get him out there like he did with Brock last year.

Tanev is Salo 2.0 without the offensive upside.

On a rebuilding team I see no issue trading an extremely injury prone player. Sure, he is good when he is healthy. But he has had no luck here. Maximize the return, dont see his value increasing at all in the coming seasons. 

Darned if you do and darned if you don't really. 

Try and trade him now and JB's going to get low-balled for sure. 

Do trade him and who exactly is going to show any of the kids arriving in the near future how to play sound D in their own zone? 

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

It wasn't actually a 'trade (proposal)' FWIW.

Those are the main pieces I'd want back. I don't really care what the periphery pieces are. We'd likely need to take some salary/a warm body back (Coburn?) as well.

The main parts I'd want back though are Foot and their late 1st. Which is a perfectly good start to a package IMO. YMMV.

Foote was top 20 pick last year?? You will not get Foote 19, 6'5, GP 55, PTs 63 Kelowna 

Along with this years 1st round pick.... Nobody will give 2 first round picks for Tanev who is hurt lots..

Maybe Foote and a young prospect on farm....

Like your idea but that would be a heavy price tag.. Us Canuck fans always think are players are worth more..

Archived