The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Edler stats watch

CrosbyGold

He never became what people hoped he'd become but he's been a helluva player all the same. He's got his issues and makes his mistakes but he's been a minute muncher for us for a long time now. I love how he's been playing as of late, dude deserves some love.

As a professional athlete he's gonna get criticism and that's fair but the dude doesn't get enough appreciation. He could always be worse.

So Edler, eleven seasons in has the same amount of points Ohlund has eleven seasons in. Ohlund never went to the SCF with the Canucks while Edler did. Ohlund was drafted 13th while Edler was at 91. So why is Edler so constantly ripped by the fans while Ohlund is in the ROH?

Edler in comparison to historical Vancouver defense:
GP: 735 (3rd) - needs 36 to pass Ohlund for 2nd (770)and 47 to pass Snepst (781)

G: 80 (3rd) - needs 4 to pass Lumme (83) for 2nd and 14 to pass Ohlund for 1st (93)

A: 242 (T-2nd with Lidster) needs 49 to pass Kearns (290)

P: 322 (2nd) and only 3 points behind Ohlund for most all time.

PPG: 40 (2nd) needs 9 to pass Salo for most all time,
PPP: 146 most all time
S: 1622 most all time
PIM: 469 (9th) 

5 GWG, 1 OTG, 1 SHG

I think Eagle deserves some respect for sure.

I will admit to being one of the people to "underappreciate" Eagle, but to defend myself it's because I believed he could be so much more. He showed so much promise and looked like he could be dominate. He's one of those players you look at and think how are you not even better, which is kinda crazy cause he has been pretty good. Almost like the compete level isn't there all the time or something.

6 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

I will admit to being one of the people to "underappreciate" Eagle, but to defend myself it's because I believed he could be so much more. He showed so much promise and looked like he could be dominate. He's one of those players you look at and think how are you not even better, which is kinda crazy cause he has been pretty good. Almost like the compete level isn't there all the time or something.

It's the inconsistency that's maddening. Maybe he's just not a top pairing d-man. One minute he plays Norris calibre level. The next he makes a boneheaded gaffe. 

Maybe he's an elite #3? As a more depth guy I'd think he'd be amazing. Not sure if it's back injury that did it, or he just doesn't think the game well enough? 

Great point, that he seems he could be so much more. 

8 hours ago, smokes said:

So Edler, eleven seasons in has the same amount of points Ohlund has eleven seasons in. Ohlund never went to the SCF with the Canucks while Edler did. Ohlund was drafted 13th while Edler was at 91. So why is Edler so constantly ripped by the fans while Ohlund is in the ROH?

Because ohlund was more if a warrior type.  Some of his battles with iginla

I like Edler.  But I love Ohlund

8 hours ago, smokes said:

Exactly.  But I still liked Ohlunds overall play more..  it's actually a little sad that a two way defenseman and a once offensive hopeful lead your team in scoring with well less than four hundred points all-time.  Most teams that have been around as long as we have, have some pretty big names and a least one HHOF defenseman play on their team.  (I saw a Reinhart comparison to Orr on a different thread ... Wow...he was second tier good in his era not one of the best to ever play the game, and was only here for a short while.)

Maybe in the future we will see our first Norris winner (and best of a maybe before TO), maybe even draft him this draft, Ohlund was consistently good, but was never close to elite, you could say the same with Edler.  

I rarely get into the Stats debate as players stats can be misleading at times. I watch every game i can probably miss 2 or three a year.Edler has been awful when the team has been awful He has at times looked slow, turns the puck over way too often and has trouble passing to Boeser for some reason. I think his better days are behind him as well but he is still under contract through next year.

Having said all that I think he has played a lot better since being paired with Gudbranson. They both have upped their games a notch. I'm not sure why but they don't seem to put each other in bad spots. The turnovers are still there at times but they seem to be less.whatever they put in their water bottles spread it around. Edler can be a very good defense man. Like this team he is Jekyll and Hyde.

17 hours ago, smokes said:

I think it's because he was at one time expected to be the next Lidstrom and clearly that never happened.  It's like going to an ok movie with high expectations makes the movie seem like trash. Where as those types of expectations where never on Ohlund.  

Not fair for Edler as he has been excellent for his draft position. 

Archived