The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] Elliotte Friedman's 31 thoughts - Canucks part

Outsiders

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-thoughts-arent-many-untouchable-players-think/

4. Someone who strikes me as an under-the-radar possibility for Tampa Bay: Alex Edler. Remember though, he does have a no-trade.

5. Newly extended Canucks GM Jim Benning raised eyebrows on Hockey Night in Canada last weekend when he said the team “would like to add a big player. Maybe a forward with some physicality who has the skill to make plays.”

My sense is they are looking for youngish players with some term or team control. Possible fits could be the likes of Nick Bjugstad (Florida), Vladislav Namestnikov (Tampa Bay) or Brock Nelson (Islanders).

19. As Trevor Linden went to ownership with a request to extend Jim Benning as general manager, there was this impression (and I admit I had it, too) of him going to the Aquilini family and saying, “If you don’t do this, I’m out, too.” Sadly for the narrative, I don’t think it came to that.

I’m sure ownership looked around, and I’m sure it knew how Linden felt, but I think by the time it actually came to serious negotiations, the ultimate result — a Benning extension — was coming.

Benning said in several interviews that the real conversations began recently, which says to me that due diligence for any potential outside candidate was done. Part of Linden’s message was believed to be that there are people in the front office with real potential who are going to be more involved in the decision-making process. That will include director of amateur scouting Judd Brackett and director of player development Ryan Johnson.

20. Here is my theory on the Canucks and Erik Gudbranson: the Canucks are betting on stability making him a more comfortable, confident player.

If you read/watch his scrum from Monday, it’s clear that he thought a lot about a changing league and his role in it. And it’s not just about the way defencemen play, it’s about how some free agents got squeezed last summer.

There’s nothing Gudbranson can do about the trade that brought him from Florida, but it has made him a flashpoint in a tough, intense market where the discussion never goes away. It bothered him and affected him.

Now, he’s got some security and I do believe he genuinely likes living there. The Canucks did not like the market for him, so they’re hoping that peace of mind will make a difference. No doubt Gudbranson will work hard to deliver.

14 minutes ago, Outsiders said:

20. Here is my theory on the Canucks and Erik Gudbranson: the Canucks are betting on stability making him a more comfortable, confident player.

If you read/watch his scrum from Monday, it’s clear that he thought a lot about a changing league and his role in it. And it’s not just about the way defencemen play, it’s about how some free agents got squeezed last summer.

There’s nothing Gudbranson can do about the trade that brought him from Florida, but it has made him a flashpoint in a tough, intense market where the discussion never goes away. It bothered him and affected him.

Now, he’s got some security and I do believe he genuinely likes living there. The Canucks did not like the market for him, so they’re hoping that peace of mind will make a difference. No doubt Gudbranson will work hard to deliver.

UFA's do not have the same bargaining power as they used to. Remember Bobby Holik's last contract:

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/bobby-holik

Ridiculous.

Unless you are franchise level elite, we ain't gonna cash in like they used to.

Always liked Elliott's thoughts on the Canucks. Seems to be one of the few journalists that actually seeks out real information. And when it's a guess he will phrase it as such. Pretenders like Dreger and O'Neil put little effort into what goes on with this side of the country.

So these would be young players on long affordable contracts?  hmmm. that sounds nice.  Would Tampa give up Namestnikov?

The prospect of getting one of these guys is nice for sure.  But what would the cost be? Our Depth on D would be my first guess.  Tampa is pretty stacked on D.  Unless we move Sutter out and re-sign Dowd to term. Sutter could be a good add for an up and coming contender... Edmonton would be a good example. not sure we want to face him 6 times a year and in the playoffs a lot tho.  What other guys fit this bill that you guys can think of?

I see Hutton and possibly Dowd getting moved.  (if the value is good.) Hutton would probably be a 1 for 1 player swap and Dowd would probably be for a targeted 3rd.  (if they just wanted him as a rental until Sutter came back).  I like Dowd on the 4th line but Gaudette has to play somewhere in March/April.

4 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Namestikov is 5'11, not sure why he pulled that name out unless it had to do with Edler to TB.

I guess he can't call it 31 things I pulled out of my bum. Jim's looking for size, Edler probably goes for picks and prospects in a TBL deal. I don't see them trading a potential 25 goal scorer for Edler. 

8 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Namestikov is 5'11, not sure why he pulled that name out unless it had to do with Edler to TB.

Doesn't shy away from that nitty gritty stuff and has a lot of pushback in him. Remember when he slashed Brandon Sutter and challenged him to a fight after Sutter gave him a pretty decent hit? 

Honestly, I would love to have Namestnikov on our team. Considering that they may not be able to re-sign him due to all of the cap issues that will be unfolding shortly after the season's over, I would not mind grabbing him as he's probably the most movable player on that roster AND he fits this team's needs mightily. 

Also 25 years old and would fit with Horvat and Boeser quite nicely.

30 minutes ago, rekker said:

Always liked Elliott's thoughts on the Canucks. Seems to be one of the few journalists that actually seeks out real information. And when it's a guess he will phrase it as such. Pretenders like Dreger and O'Neil put little effort into what goes on with this side of the country.

Friedman and MacKenzie are the 2 best in the business.  Always informative and professional. 

7 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

I don't think it's that far off. You have to remember who Namestnikov plays with. 

I guess it's not far off but we aren't giving up much value. Edler is a decent dman with a somewhat big contract and Granlund is definitely not as good as Namestnikov. I don't think it is worth it for TB

1 minute ago, -Stammer- said:

I guess it's not far off but we aren't giving up much value. Edler is a decent dman with a somewhat big contract and Granlund is definitely not as good as Namestnikov. I don't think it is worth it for TB

If I was Tampa I would ask for Edler and a mid to late pick instead of Granlund.

It might not be a popular decision but for the time being edler is too valuable to the blue line on the left side

I fell like this last injury for tanev has fans rolling their eyes and are sick of it.

not really interested in a hockey deal with any of those players he mentioned. 

Would Rather go younger with a return 

but I do like that Elliotte talks a lot about Vancouver with respect on sportnet to off set all the leafs mumbo jumbo. One of my fav hockey analysts 

31 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Doesn't shy away from that nitty gritty stuff and has a lot of pushback in him. Remember when he slashed Brandon Sutter and challenged him to a fight after Sutter gave him a pretty decent hit? 

Honestly, I would love to have Namestnikov on our team. Considering that they may not be able to re-sign him due to all of the cap issues that will be unfolding shortly after the season's over, I would not mind grabbing him as he's probably the most movable player on that roster AND he fits this team's needs mightily. 

Also 25 years old and would fit with Horvat and Boeser quite nicely.

Key word missing: "big"

Archived