The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Thomas Vanek to Blue Jackets for Jussi Jokinen, Tyler Motte

I don't get not collecting picks, when we are still rebuilding?  Isn't getting these mid 20's guys just like what we did before - kind of a retool idea - speeding up the rebuild?  I thought we needed more picks, so we would have more chances to get another core piece?  Shouldn't we be swinging for the fences with more picks?

Tyler Motte scouting report for the 5'9'' / 188lbs forward.

....I like the potential, but how many pint size guys do we need?

SCOUTING REPORT

ASSETS:
Is a natural point producer with a nose for the net and good instincts. Also owns a strong lower base, so he is able to keep possession of the puck in tight quarters. Has a deadly shot, too.
FLAWS:
Lacks ideal size for the National Hockey League, so he could stand to add even more bulk to his smallish frame in order to maximize output. Also needs to improve his play without the puck.
CAREER POTENTIAL:
Talented scoring forward with upside.

Just now, StealthNuck said:

No picks. Player dump and another small AHL forward. Am I missing something? 

Green likes his small guys? Who the hell knows, neither of these guys will amount to much in the NHL. Even 5th round picks would be much better because at least the player in return is totally in your control

Just now, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

You mean Jussi trade.

Obvious joke was already obvious.

I don't know about this trade.  I guess these guys are ok for depth and Mott is surprisingly strong for a little guy, but this doesn't really improve our club.

Poor Jokinen has been passed around more than Taylor Swift lately.

I've been behind Benning all the way, but this trade takes the cake. It's not even like Motte is a Granlund-in-waiting. He's already Jordan Schroeder.

:(

Would have rather kept Vanek but its always possible to re-sign him in the off season. Would have rather gotten a pick or two for him but Benning has this ability to make some of the $&!#tiest deals look good in the long run. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens at this point.

Shannon reporting that the return of bodies for Vanek may in fact change

Either way, it's a literal meh trade for the sake of making a trade.

Motte is the epitome of redundant here and Jokkinen is a cap dump so we in effect just did the Jackets a favour.  Wondering wtf just happened

Archived