The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Eriksson done for the year with fractured rib. Will he ever find a place in VAN?

Adarsh Sant

Loui Eriksson  

206 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Never like to see a Canuck hurt. He is a Canuck for awhile. He will always have a place on a line as the defensive forward if nothing else. Obviosly over paid for what he brings. I could maybe see him on EP's line at some point next year or the year after.

2 hours ago, RRypien37 said:

Buy out time! I hope Aqua man is willing to bite the bullet. One of the worst contracts in Canuck's history (and I called it from the get go). Let this be a lesson to JB for big ticket FA signings. 

He's bad.  Not Yashin or Bobby Ryan bad, but for the Canucks epic bad .

2 hours ago, Green Building said:

That signing at the time was a little pricey and too much term, but that's what it takes to lure a FA to a struggling team sometimes. Who could have predicted that Eriksson would have regressed as much as he did? His drop off has been nothing short of astounding. 

it is, but its not the waste of a contract a lot of people claim it is either. If there's a way of getting him with Bo or a younger skilled C the offensive side could pick up, 1/2 a point per game isn't great but its not a total waste of a contract like Parise and others.

18 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

it is, but its not the waste of a contract a lot of people claim it is either. If there's a way of getting him with Bo or a younger skilled C the offensive side could pick up, 1/2 a point per game isn't great but its not a total waste of a contract like Parise and others.

I don't think he's a plug, but he certainly isn't doing what he was brought here to do by a long shot.

54 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

5POnCNmi.jpg

3 hours ago, Positive Canuck said:

i was horrified the day they signed that contract and I'm not The Oracle.
Im more surprised by Lucic being already a white elephant.
Thought Edmonton would get 2-3 good years from him.

He didn't do too badly last year, 20+ goals and 50 pts.

The scary part is that he will be 35 when his current deal ends (birthday in June), and there will be some people around here demanding that the Canucks sign him to a rich contract, with term.

regards,  G.

50 minutes ago, Green Building said:

I don't think he's a plug, but he certainly isn't doing what he was brought here to do by a long shot.

honestly its not that far off, he's close to 1/2 a ppg, if he can raise that up to 0.7 along with his D play thats pretty much what he was signed up for. With the right partner and playing on the top 6 or top PP line instead of a 3rd line checking role that would help a great deal. I don't know any player that scores 80 pts from the 3rd line. 

I could see him have a revival season playing with a guy like Pettersson.

I haven't completely written him off yet.

If there's any way we could trade him or buy him out we should, but I don't see that happening. Gotta hope he rebounds.

3 hours ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

I think Eriksson will still be a useful forward provided that his spirit doesn't get too low with being on a rebuilding team (I'm pretty sure he didn't sign on for this).  Even if Eriksson wanted out, his contract is essentially unmovable given his lack of production and his cap hit, though never say never I suppose... 

Assuming Eriksson stays and accepts a supporting role, I think he could be a good mentor for our younger players and, at minimum, he could help to shelter them as well.  Who knows, Eriksson might be a beneficiary of Pettersson if EP makes the jump to the NHL quickly.

Will Eriksson ever be a 50+ point guy again?  Doesn't seem like it though he's not that old.  Doesn't mean that he's valueless moving forward unless he flat out quits trying (which would be a shame - he's had a good career).  This is something that Eriksson will need to deal with this summer unless the Canucks can somehow find him a deal with a contender.

I believe Eriksson can return to something close to his previous form. With the right line mates, and establishing some chemistry, he could do okay here.

As to trading, if he wanted out something could be sorted with a bit of salary retention (IIRC, starting next year only Luongo will be on the books), and/or maybe a lower pick or prospect of some sort from the stable being filled up by Benning.

But I'd like to see him work things out here.

regards,  G.

1 minute ago, cdubuya said:

One of the biggest black spots on JB's resume IMO--- bummer. We coulda used his 6 mill in cap on someone who will help turn this team around in a hurry. That NMC is vicious.

His NMC ends after this season and turns into a limited NTC, I believe.

1 minute ago, BananaMash said:

His NMC ends after this season and turns into a limited NTC, I believe.

Starts 20-21 as a 15 team NTC --- maybe by then we can get a team with cap space to take him on (as his contract is front-loaded)....but even then, he will need to improve his production which seems unlikely at this point.

9 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

honestly its not that far off, he's close to 1/2 a ppg, if he can raise that up to 0.7 along with his D play thats pretty much what he was signed up for. With the right partner and playing on the top 6 or top PP line instead of a 3rd line checking role that would help a great deal. I don't know any player that scores 80 pts from the 3rd line. 

Dude, 0.4 PPG being close to 0.5 PPG is a pretty big difference over a 2 season sample size. It's not that close. I'm not anti-Loui, but I'm not pro-Loui either. He's on the 3rd and 4th line because he hasn't forced himself onto the 2nd or 3rd. The opportunity has been there the entire time, but he's failed to seize it thus far.

Archived