The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2nd Best Dman in 2018 Draft

AK_19

Second Best Dman in 2018 Draft?  

342 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the Second Best Defenseman in the 2018 draft?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/22/2018 at 06:00 PM

My apologies is this is posted on the wrong board (I couldn't figure out how to do a poll in Prospects/Draft Board).

Dahlin is the clear cut #1 overall pick and #1 D pick as well. It appears by a pretty large consensus that #2 and #3 are the wingers Svechnikov and Zadina. Although I agree with the philosophy of BPA with a first round pick, I would be disappointed in picking one of these forwards as opposed to a dman especially considering we have probably the best winger prospect pool already (Pettersson, Dahlen, Lind, Gadjovich) and young wingers already on the team (Boeser, Goldobin, Baertschi, Leipsic, Granlund). Even if S+Z are better prospects than the poll-listed D, I don't think they'd leave the kind of impact on our team in comparison to a top pairing dman.  

I created this poll to help figure out what people on this board consider the 2nd best D prospect in the 2018 draft.

I’d say it’s a toss up between Boqvist and Bouchard. 

If Boqvist can be as dynamic offensively as he has been in Sweden, I think he would be the 2nd best.

From the highlights I’ve seen Boqvist definitely has more offensive flare and is a better skater but Bouchard is a very good well rounded player with a cannon of a shot himself.

cant go wrong wth either of them imo.

Bouchard has the whole package. I wont say too much more other than to say we all have our picks.

I had been attacked for suggesting they take him 2nd overall. then Craig Button said the same thing on the radio and all went quiet. Again I think he is the best player available after Dahlin. I think when all is said and done he will fit the game better than some of the smaller defensemen that play like a forward. I am not a big proponent of the Forward who plays on the blue line.

Ive already said too much.

1 hour ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Hughes or Boqvist. Then Dobson. 

Bouchard is easily the best Dman after Dhalin.  And I wonder if Bouchard might eclipse Dahlin in time too?  With the way our team keeps winning now, it’s likely a moot point anyway.  Bouchard will be gone before we draft:(

Hughes or Boqvist imo. Probably Hughes but I am voting Boqvist.  The concerns around Bouchard's compete and the fact his team got 4-0'd have me skeptical of his overall potential.

I could be very wrong but time will tell.

56 minutes ago, 70seven said:

I think when it’s all said and done, the best dman from this group will be Dobson.  He’ll have the best all around package and be able to be used in all situations. 

57 minutes ago, 70seven said:

I think when it’s all said and done, the best dman from this group will be Dobson.  He’ll have the best all around package and be able to be used in all situations. 

agree. 

Boqvist and Hughes have the higher offensive potential, although it may be years before either of them are fully solid in their own end (I remember this was the criticism of karlsson until he was 24 it 25). Dobson seems like a good in all situations type of guy. Bouchard even more so although I worry about his rumoured “lack of compete”. The other thing about both Dobson and Bouchard is I’m worried that another year in Junior may stall their development, where as Hughes and Boqvist are both in leagues that are better suited to their level of play and thus may have better development paths

I was in the Boqvist camp for the longest time, but now, I've switched to Quinn Hughes after watching him play. Hughes is a very good skater, has a very high hockey IQ (excellent quarterback on the power play), good defender. He's now 5'10" and 175 lbs and by some accounts, may already be 5'11" and possibly heavier. I'm ok with either Boqvist and Dobson. This is probably unfair but seeing Juolevi's slow development made me leery about the upside of Bouchard.

I have to lean towards Bouchard on this. Boqvist may indeed become a very good offensive d-man, but from what (little) I have seen of him, that is pretty much his whole game. The Canucks already have a number of offensive talented d-men without size. In Bouchard, they get a guy with size, who is still a fairly good skater, has hockey smarts, has a sound defensive game, and has also put up points in his OHL career. He also has a number of those intangibles (eg. leadership qualities).

All of this being said, if the Canucks did get Boqvist I'd be quite happy with that result.

regards,  G.

3 minutes ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

I was in the Boqvist camp for the longest time, but now, I've switched to Quinn Hughes after watching him play. Hughes is a very good skater, has a very high hockey IQ (excellent quarterback on the power play), good defender. He's now 5'10" and 175 lbs and by some accounts, may already be 5'11" and possibly heavier. I'm ok with either Boqvist and Dobson. This is probably unfair but seeing Juolevi's slow development made me leery about the upside of Bouchard.

After reading into Bouchard I'm kind of shocked we picked Joulevi where we did. Joulevi had 42 points in 57 games in his D-1 season and Bouchard just had 87 points in 67 games. Hell, Bouchard outpointed Joulevi on the same team last year despite being 2 draft years younger. On top of all that, Bouchard is bigger and, according to reports, better defensively. Joulevi seems to just have skating attributes better than him. 

26 minutes ago, AK_19 said:

After reading into Bouchard I'm kind of shocked we picked Joulevi where we did. Joulevi had 42 points in 57 games in his D-1 season and Bouchard just had 87 points in 67 games. Hell, Bouchard outpointed Joulevi on the same team last year despite being 2 draft years younger. On top of all that, Bouchard is bigger and, according to reports, better defensively. Joulevi seems to just have skating attributes better than him. 

In that draft, I actually had Juolevi as the best D-man but slightly ahead of Chychrun and Sergachev. Juolevi's skating was actually something that he needed to improve on but he seemed to have spades of hockey IQ. I watched his games, and he was always at the right spot. Last year, I visited the Knights' forum, and some of them said that Juolevi took Bouchard under his wing and that's why Bouchard really improved. They made it sound like he was a Juolevi clone.

I like Boqvist and Hughes because from what I can see, the only ones who can really carry the puck end-to-end and do something with it on a regular basis are: Dahlin, Boqvist, Hughes and Merkley. I like Dobson because he reminds me so much of all the old-school big and tough Canadian D-men.

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Bouchard is easily the best Dman after Dhalin.  And I wonder if Bouchard might eclipse Dahlin in time too?  With the way our team keeps winning now, it’s likely a moot point anyway.  Bouchard will be gone before we draft:(

I've seen Boqvist and Hughes as higher ranked than Bouchard many times.

I wouldn't say he's "easily" the best after Dahlin.

Actually from eliteprospects.com, Boqvist and Hughes both have higher cumulative rankings 

1 hour ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

I'm starting to lean Hughes to but I'm still in the Boqvist camp. I seem to not be able to shake the Karlsson comparison. When I look at these names tho I think we're gonna land Dobson.

Archived