The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Travel Thread

WilliG

On 4/19/2018 at 10:05 AM, NucksPatsFan said:

Just got back from Mexico. Sickening how Americanized Playa Del Carmen is. First time ever there, and I did not expect to be walking by Victoria Secret, Forever 21, Hollister, Bed Bath and Beyond, etc. 

Yeah, Playa del Carmen and Cancun are capital-T Tourist Traps and are NOT at all representative of Mexico. Some people like to be able to go somewhere, speak English exclusively, use US dollars, eat and drink what they eat and drink at home and par-tay for a week or two. If you are going to travel to the Yucatan but don't want the tourist-trap experience, check out Valladolid, Merida and Campeche. All interesting colonial towns that will give you a much better sense of what Mexico is all about. Also, if you are interested in Mayan cultures and the remnants of their cities and massive architecture, try Ek Balam (near Valladolid), Uxmal, Oxkintok and Mayapan (near Merida) Edzna (near Campeche) and a number of sites in the south including Calakmul (near Xpujil). To do this it is best to rent a car in Cancun, then set off on your way. Dead easy.

• 1 month later...

With Canada day coming up..figured I’d do an east coast trip since in all my years in Canada and travels around the world I have yet to see much of our own backyard.

Thinkin of flying into Halifax and making my way to Moncton. I’ve got about 5-6 days, I need to recommendations of what places I should make sure to see. 

Any help is appreciated!

47 minutes ago, HI5 said:

With Canada day coming up..figured I’d do an east coast trip since in all my years in Canada and travels around the world I have yet to see much of our own backyard.

Thinkin of flying into Halifax and making my way to Moncton. I’ve got about 5-6 days, I need to recommendations of what places I should make sure to see. 

Any help is appreciated!

If you find time you’ve got to see PEI. 

• Thanks 1

I just visited Winnipeg for work for the third time this past week.

But this time I got some me time to do a morning of exploring.

Went to the Canadian Museum of Human Rights. Humans have been pretty $&!#ty to one another over the years.

I've been able to travel a fair bit the last couple of years:

2016 - Italy, Southern California, New Orleans

2017 -  Croatia, Czech Republic, Philadelphia

2018 - Nothing major so far, but will be in Bosnia end of August

Of the countries/regions listed, Prague, Florence, and Dubrovnik would probably be my three favorite cities that I visited.

Seen probably 12 countries in the last 2 years. Going back to Europe this weekend. Traveling is such a wonderful experience (most of the time). Going to spend 6 months traveling around Europe next year, 2 in Australia/NZ and 4 in NA. Looking forward to it.

I've done a lot in the last 4 years or so and can't wait to take another trip once I've started working again. I usually book a trip as it gives me something to work towards and look forward to in the dimmer months of the year.

BC (twice)

Washington

Oregon

California

Germany

Switzerland

Italy

France

Thailand

Singapore

Japan x2

Malaysia

Hong Kong

Argentina

Uruguay

Still hundreds of places on the list.

• Cheers 1

On 2018-06-11 at 3:24 PM, Down by the River said:

I've been able to travel a fair bit the last couple of years:

2016 - Italy, Southern California, New Orleans

2017 -  Croatia, Czech Republic, Philadelphia

2018 - Nothing major so far, but will be in Bosnia end of August

Of the countries/regions listed, Prague, Florence, and Dubrovnik would probably be my three favorite cities that I visited.

What was your experience in Croatia like? 

2 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

What was your experience in Croatia like? 

Loved it. I've been twice. Dubrovnik is one of my favorite places on earth, but when I went last year, it was insanely busy (July) and had become a bit more touristy (Game of Thrones and Star Wars were filmed there, and so a lot of the shops were packed with that merchandise). Split, Hvar, and Korcula are the other places that I would strongly recommend. 

To me, it is a great place to go to relax. Things are pretty low-key. I know that some people go specifically for "yacht parties" so I imagine they would have much different things to say than me. 

• Upvote 1

Going to Idaho for the day in July, and Montana in July or August. I really want to go to Alaska again.  Alaska is my thing! I'm thinking about New York City for a day, and have worked the flight times out.  American Airlines has great arrival and departure times, and it would work out great as a day trip, but something tells me that I need to take someone, for safety issues. That it may not be the best thing to go by myself.  

3 hours ago, brilac said:

Going to Idaho for the day in July, and Montana in July or August. I really want to go to Alaska again.  Alaska is my thing! I'm thinking about New York City for a day, and have worked the flight times out.  American Airlines has great arrival and departure times, and it would work out great as a day trip, but something tells me that I need to take someone, for safety issues. That it may not be the best thing to go by myself.  

You’re going to want more than a day in nyc. You’ll never run out of things to do there. 

On 2018-06-11 at 3:11 PM, Sean Monahan said:

If you find time you’ve got to see PEI. 

Ended up booking 1 day in Charlottetown, 2 in Moncton and 3 in Halifax.

Best part, if I can’t find my much to do..theirs gyms within walking vicinity of all my hotels. 

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, luckyjack said:

I'm going to Canada next week, want ot visit my old frends in Quebec. I found awesome service for booking cheap flights, their prices are lower on the average and I can get my ticket within an hour of booking. So now I can travel more. Awesome!

Link to this service? Thanks in advance. 

I have never really been anywhere.  Poor girl problems. With that, just so happy my daughter is seeing the world and living the life I never did.  She works hard, saves then takes off for weeks/months at a time. She is about to embark on a trip to:   Australia, Japan, Bali.

Any tips or feedback for her is appreciated.

I think I may have posted this in a different thread but might as well post it here as well. Some really amazing flight deals.

http://www.yvrdeals.com/

If you scroll to the bottom right they have different pages for other cities/airports.

Some of the deals posted this month include ....

Vancouver to Singapore - $499 CAD roundtrip including taxes

Seattle to Miami, Florida - $178 CAD roundtrip including taxes

Vancouver to Tokyo, Japan - $588 CAD roundtrip including taxes

Vancouver to New Delhi, India - $624 CAD roundtrip including taxes

Vancouver to Cancun, Mexico - $324 to $340 CAD roundtrip including taxes

Vancouver to Sydney, Brisbane, or Melbourne, Australia - $980 to $996 CAD roundtrip including taxes | non-stop flights

Lots of cheap flights within Canada too. It's worth a look.