The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brian Boyle to Mikhail Sergachev "Im going to f*%^ng kill you"

7 hours ago, RRypien37 said:

Brian Boyle would have a tough time killing a fly. Softest big man in the league. 

There was a video compilation of him getting beat up for 7 minutes but can't find it on YT anymore or else I would've posted. 

At least he drops the mitts. There are other big guys that run away from fights at all costs. 

You've never played sports before, or at least physical contact sports before have you?

There's stuff said on the ice or on a field every single day in the heat of battle.

This is a non-issue and doesn't warrant a post let alone a thread.

11 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

(or as a goalie and in the warmup some idiot is trying out a new, softer, flex on his shaft and hits you in the throat from 12 feet out).

*raises hand*

Sorry about that. But it's not my fault they don't manufacture soft flex sticks that feel exactly the same as my firmer flex ones and the kick point is all wrong and the curve aims for goalie throats. Blame Bauer. It's their fault.

Also, it wouldn't be warmup if I didn't ding one shot off the mask either. Goalie never has a bad game if he's awake due to being excessively pissed off. That's the logic. *taps head*.

It makes up for it when I shoot on the other tendies. I swear every goalie we play has the quickest chest in the league. I just cant squeak anything through it.

1 hour ago, brownky said:

*raises hand*

Sorry about that. But it's not my fault they don't manufacture soft flex sticks that feel exactly the same as my firmer flex ones and the kick point is all wrong and the curve aims for goalie throats. Blame Bauer. It's their fault.

Also, it wouldn't be warmup if I didn't ding one shot off the mask either. Goalie never has a bad game if he's awake due to being excessively pissed off. That's the logic. *taps head*.

It makes up for it when I shoot on the other tendies. I swear every goalie we play has the quickest chest in the league. I just cant squeak anything through it.

LOVE IT!   I would also yell "why all the p*ssy azzed shots in the game from you if you can do this in warmup" or similar.   Guys who looked like Brett Hull in warmup but more like Monty Hall in the game when they could rip 'em at their goalie but never seemed to pizzed me off!.   

11 hours ago, Toews said:

It would only be selective if these incidents were equivalent which they are not. Had Gudbranson said what he said on the ice and to Martin's face, he would not have heard from the league either. You have significantly more leeway to say things on the ice that you would dare not say to someone off the ice. Someone already mentioned but as long as its not racist, you can get away with saying just about anything. Some would add homophobia to this, but it wasn't too uncommon to hear a homophobic slur when I played, and I am not sure how much things have changed since then. 

In any case no big deal Guddy can say what he wants, he just needs to do it out of earshot of the media, I am sure he was fuming and wasn't really aware of who was around him and will be more careful next time. Once the cat was out of the bag though, the league has to react. If there was a serious incident involving both these players, the league would have been on the hook for having failing to act despite ample warning.

No.  What Gudbranson says in his locker room, or in the hallway on the way to the locker room is every bit as 'privileged'.

There is literally no difference between some media hack repeating what is said there as there is some media hack reading lips of what is said on the ice.

You're drawing an illusory line between the boards and the dressing room.

Simply because the odd hack like Botchford crosses the line and publishes what was not actually said to media does not make that ok - it's no more "public sphere" than the ice, which is actually more visible and audible - to the public - than the dressing room.    The ice is not 'out of earshot' of the media.   What Gudbranson said is not for media consumption or to be published - and the NHL's response, regardless, was certainly selective and overblown.

39 minutes ago, Xbox said:

I hope you realize that there's a huge difference between on the ice and off the ice...

If that's a response to my point - your claim entirely depends on how "off the ice" you are talking about.

The bench is "off the ice" and yet there is literally no difference.

The hallway - just steps off the ice - and moments after a very heated game - is not a 'huge difference'.  It is a player still blowing off steam and anger - and it's no more 'public sphere' than what is said on the ice.

The reality is that 'on-the-ice' in the modern NHL - is subject to high tech microphones, cameras, etc.  The behaviour of players is more subject to scrutiny.   You may have gotten away with throat slash jestures in the past, but it isn't perceived the same way.

If we're being 'real'- there was a time when players left the bench - into the crowd lol - and engaged fans.  That line is drawn much more clearly and forcibly in the modern NHL.

And yet, there's a limit to the policiing, and general threats to inflict damage to someone tend not to be subject to   those kind of league inteventions.  @Toews is correct imo on the point that if it's not "offensive" it's not really considered crossing the line.  The threat of violence isn't really considered crossing the line - it's considered part of the game.

I agree with the OP to the extent the selective ballbusting of Gudbranson based on comments relayed via media was a curious outlier - in the sense that it took place in a hockey zone - ie the ice, the bench, the hallway and the dressing room are player areas, hockey spheres.

47 minutes ago, oldnews said:

If that's a response to my point - your claim entirely depends on how "off the ice" you are talking about.

The bench is "off the ice" and yet there is literally no difference.

The hallway - just steps off the ice - and moments after a very heated game - is not a 'huge difference'.  It is a player still blowing off steam and anger - and it's no more 'public sphere' than what is said on the ice.

The reality is that 'on-the-ice' in the modern NHL - is subject to high tech microphones, cameras, etc.  The behaviour of players is more subject to scrutiny.   You may have gotten away with throat slash jestures in the past, but it isn't perceived the same way.

If we're being 'real'- there was a time when players left the bench - into the crowd lol - and engaged fans.  That line is drawn much more clearly and forcibly in the modern NHL.

And yet, there's a limit to the policiing, and general threats to inflict damage to someone tend not to be subject to   those kind of league inteventions.  @Toews is correct imo on the point that if it's not "offensive" it's not really considered crossing the line.  The threat of violence isn't really considered crossing the line - it's considered part of the game.

I agree with the OP to the extent the selective ballbusting of Gudbranson based on comments relayed via media was a curious outlier - in the sense that it took place in a hockey zone - ie the ice, the bench, the hallway and the dressing room are player areas, hockey spheres.

Off the ice means as soon as you step foot off the ice after the last whistle.

If you're on the bench during a competitive game then it's just in the moment. If you're making threats after the game is already over then that's not alright. If you can't see the difference then I really don't know what else to say.

3 minutes ago, Xbox said:

Off the ice means as soon as you step foot off the ice after the last whistle.

If you're on the bench during a competitive game then it's just in the moment. If you're making threats after the game is already over then that's not alright. If you can't see the difference then I really don't know what else to say.

that's not really what happened.

12 hours ago, Xbox said:

I hope you realize that there's a huge difference between on the ice and off the ice...

I personally never saw the big deal with Gudbranson. I don't see it here.

It was still a heat of the moment utterance.  In both cases.  If Boyle is caught dropping a suitcase of money off with an operative named GUIDO in Sergachev's home town? Or starts tailing him around in an unmarked car with a loaded gun? Somebody needs to get involved. Until then I don't care.  

My own guess is the NHL only got involved with Guddy for appearance sake.    

On 2018-04-16 at 10:47 PM, oldnews said:

The league won't think twice about it.

But the OP does have a point where the laughable and selective ballbusting of Gudbranson is concerned.

Unprecedented "sensitivity" to hockey talk that's hard to take seriously. 

That said, I'm not sure what Boyle's problem with Sergachev is/was - perhaps just a tactical attempt to unglue Tampa on some level - but I don't have a whole lot of respect for those kind of antics when you have a veteran targetting a 19 year old.  Imo it did not look good on Boyle.

Meeeeeeeehhhhh I dunno it's playoffs.  Do what you gotta do I guess.  Yeah he's a young kid but he is a talented guy.  Get him off his game.

they will all shake hands later anyway.

21 hours ago, brownky said:

*raises hand*

I actually apologized to the other teams goalie last game right after I shot it.  Lol.  Right between the eyes I caught him.  From about 15'.

Archived