The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Leafs to sign C Par Lindholm

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

We so sure we can't get NHL quality vets in Free Agency we are stretching to 27 year old SHL players? I mean, they definitely know more than I do still pretty interesting. Cheaper option potentially.

Also, he's a Swede, 5'11, and weighs 187. Alf probably hates this. :sadno:

How heavy was Peter Forsberg, or our Swedish Twins?  Alf loves guys who, regardless of their weight, play hard.  

46 minutes ago, bree2 said:

gaunce has not earned his spot!!! 

no one has.

spots are earned in camp and preseason.

but if you're looking realistically at last season and filling out a roster based on that, Gaunce certainly has 'earned a spot'.

Gaunce had a ridiculously low 14.9% offensive zone starts last year - the lowest of anyone to play 10 games for this team (ie 29th among 29).

His corsi was 46% - ie a couple percentage points below players like Boeser and Stecher - who were median corsi on this team.

Those are unreal shutdown numbers - absolutely outstanding and in a class with elite shutdown veterans like Manny Malhotra.

And it doesn't end there,with mere shot differential statistics.

Gaunce's on ice goals against per 60 minutes was 1.7.  The team's lowest.  29 players gave up more on ice goals per ice time.

Combine those two things - among the absolute hardest minutes, with some of the best possession numbers and ridiculously strong goals against metrics (Gaunce was actually an even player in that context) - and people here that don't believe Gaunce earned a spot really don't get the role of a shutdown player and don't realize that judging them on point production is a complete whiff on that player's value.

Sutter and Gaunce give this team 2 thirds of an elite shutdown line.   That he's ready for that role at 23 yrs imo is impressive.  As is Motte.  I think people tend to under-rate the value of players like this - when these are your guys that are going to supply your young top 6 with opportunities to start in the opposition's end of the ice.  This team is going to need that with a wealth of talented, but young, skilled forwards.

34 minutes ago, oldnews said:

A guy like Lindholm could be ideal.  Bozak is likely to demand too much cap (and probably more term than you're comfortable with at his age and this stage) where we could have better centers emerging in a year or two and don't necessarily want to be committed to Bozak longer term.   Other depth centers - good veteran faceoff and shutdown guys - could be comparably low priced options - but Lindholm may actually have as good or better game - and a 3/4 punch of a couple good two way centers could actually make this team more dangerous. 

As well as salary, unless there is significant competition for his services, he likely comes in like Larsen and Holm and signs a one-year contract.  By that time we'll have a good indication how far away Gaudette and Pettersson in particular are from being full-time centres in the NHL.  Only downside is if he craps out completely as opposed to a Bozak or similar who is a known quantity, but then a trade can always be made as a stop-gap (see: Dowd).

2 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

As well as salary, unless there is significant competition for his services, he likely comes in like Larsen and Holm and signs a one-year contract.  By that time we'll have a good indication how far away Gaudette and Pettersson in particular are from being full-time centres in the NHL.  Only downside is if he craps out completely as opposed to a Bozak or similar who is a known quantity, but then a trade can always be made as a stop-gap (see: Dowd).

Is Bozak better than Gagner? Enough said.

On 4/27/2018 at 6:54 AM, theo5789 said:

Based on what I saw in his short stint, I don't think Gaudette will crack the opening roster unless he has a very impressive camp. He has the tools, but he could use at least a year in Utica with some call ups.

Pettersson has shown impressive skill. I could see him making the team right away, but if he doesn't, I don't think it'll harm him to play in Utica either. However, I can already see the outrage if he did start the year in Utica, but I'll trust management's decisions for his progression.

Pettersson would dominate the AHL

4 hours ago, oldnews said:

no one has.

spots are earned in camp and preseason.

but if you're looking realistically at last season and filling out a roster based on that, Gaunce certainly has 'earned a spot'.

Gaunce had a ridiculously low 14.9% offensive zone starts last year - the lowest of anyone to play 10 games for this team (ie 29th among 29).

His corsi was 46% - ie a couple percentage points below players like Boeser and Stecher - who were median corsi on this team.

Those are unreal shutdown numbers - absolutely outstanding and in a class with elite shutdown veterans like Manny Malhotra.

And it doesn't end there,with mere shot differential statistics.

Gaunce's on ice goals against per 60 minutes was 1.7.  The team's lowest.  29 players gave up more on ice goals per ice time.

Combine those two things - among the absolute hardest minutes, with some of the best possession numbers and ridiculously strong goals against metrics (Gaunce was actually an even player in that context) - and people here that don't believe Gaunce earned a spot really don't get the role of a shutdown player and don't realize that judging them on point production is a complete whiff on that player's value.

Sutter and Gaunce give this team 2 thirds of an elite shutdown line.   That he's ready for that role at 23 yrs imo is impressive.  As is Motte.  I think people tend to under-rate the value of players like this - when these are your guys that are going to supply your young top 6 with opportunities to start in the opposition's end of the ice.  This team is going to need that with a wealth of talented, but young, skilled forwards.

If u didn’t notice Sutter and Archie were our shutdown line. Archie will be resigned.  U over value Gaunce a lot.  For example, the last 2 years he has missed substantial time because of injury.   So outside of being okay along the boards all you can say is that he gets injured.   

That's my kind of Swede lol. Willing to make big hits.  The guy he hits looks like a wet noodle.  From the first 2 angles it looks like a headshot but the final angle looks like shoulder to body contact.  

2 hours ago, Rush17 said:

That's my kind of Swede lol. Willing to make big hits.  The guy he hits looks like a wet noodle.  From the first 2 angles it looks like a headshot but the final angle looks like shoulder to body contact.  

Wet noodle - more like a rag doll.  He destroyed him.

4 hours ago, Rush17 said:

Nah, looked like his nose was bust & he might even have been out cold before he bounced his face a 2knd time off the ice.

If this was the Player Safety Dept NHL, that would be a suspension. I don't believe he intentionally targeted his head, went for a shoulder hit. But he certainly hit it.  

But yeah, you love the enthusiasm to play physical.

5 hours ago, samurai said:

If u didn’t notice Sutter and Archie were our shutdown line. Archie will be resigned.  U over value Gaunce a lot.  For example, the last 2 years he has missed substantial time because of injury.   So outside of being okay along the boards all you can say is that he gets injured.   

Didn't Archie more or less come in about the same time Gaunce got hurt? 

In any case, dyu see a problem with a Gaunce / Sutter / Archibald shutdown line?

10 hours ago, Alflives said:

That's a good point about, getting a mature (but not too old) center to play behind Bo and Sutter.  I just think a team in it's rebuilding phase, needs to stick to drafting and developing its own group before bringing in older guys, who might get us to mediocre.  That's what happened in WD's first year.  Then, when the older guys move on (or get even older) we go backwards, because we weren't giving our young guys proper chance to develop.  I think Boston played 9 rookies this season.  Young guys are better prepared to play now, I think.

I think you sorta get it based on your response below.

As long as we are not PAYING assets to get our place holders via trade? Bringing in a UFA can be a good rebuilding move. And Benning / Green have shown that just bringing these veterans in, does not mean the vet will be gifted time.  We have waived guys like Rodin, Higgins, Burmistrov, put Holm in the minors to give ice time to young players when they earned it.    

9 hours ago, Alflives said:

You make good sense here ON.  Guys in their 30's, like Bozak, are what a rebuilt team that is tinkering brings in.  Guys like Par are what teams like us, who are still rebuilding, use as place holders until the youth are ready.  I get that.  

The other possible advantage of Par versus Bozak, besides cap cost, is spring in his step. He's 26 & physically at his peak. He looks pretty quick in the highlights we catch. It might be nice to shelter Pettersson with someone like Bozak?

But it might also be nice to have a guy in the line up that can play as fast as EP as well? His scouting report suggests that he plays a hard game. But he also scored at a clip near Petterson as well. It could be a great match with him & Dahlen?

1 hour ago, Canuck Surfer said:

In any case, dyu see a problem with a Gaunce / Sutter / Archibald shutdown line?

Missing some quickness that Dorsett had last season. I think I like Motte with Gaunce and Sutter. Archibald could still have a role with the team as an extra or some physicality in the lineup.

5 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Sutter is a key guy on the team.  Archie offers things that nobody else can on the team right now.  Gaunce is the ? and the guy who will really have to fight for a spot against guys like Motte who near the last 5 games or so really started to look good.   People overvalue Gaunce.  Green doesn't seem to see him see him as a key player either.  Time will tell.  I like Gaunce would like to see more from him but skeptical he has a regular spot.  

19 hours ago, Alflives said:

Is there a history of success or failure for these older (26 and older) UFA's coming from the SEL?  I can think of Panarin coming from the KHL, and he's fabulous, but I can't think of any SEL (or any other Euro league) guys coming over here, and doing well, who are a bit older.  

I think Rodin would have been good. Such a pity he was badly injured and never really got back to where he was. Other than that I have no idea. Maybe we can set a precedent.

1 hour ago, samurai said:

Sutter is a key guy on the team.  Archie offers things that nobody else can on the team right now.  Gaunce is the ? and the guy who will really have to fight for a spot against guys like Motte who near the last 5 games or so really started to look good.   People overvalue Gaunce.  Green doesn't seem to see him see him as a key player either.  Time will tell.  I like Gaunce would like to see more from him but skeptical he has a regular spot.  

Last year in summer I questioned a rebound from Sutter. Not because I doubted Sutter?  Because I was unsure who would be a fit as a shutdown partner. 

Green started with Jake & Dorsett partnered with Sutter. Soon after Dorsett and Granlund. By the end of the year Archie, Leipsic, Motte, Ericsson had all had a go at shut down duties. Am I missing anyone? Burmistrov... Most were coached into being quite successful. Surprisingly so! I was more impressed with that, than any other component of Green's coaching. Except in stretches where Sutter & Bo were hurt, we shut down top lines, free'd Bo & Boeser & Vanek & the Twins for O'zone starts. Archie added hits, some snarl. Gaunce was better at actual suppression though. 15% Offensive zone starts but still almost accomplished a positive Corsi, was better than many on the team. Gaunce has hands of stone, can't score, and little flash. But he actually rates very well. Your letting the Don Cherry in you wish for big goals and big hits.  However I think Green can coach any who work hard into being good at that role. 

Except Bpucher & Goldy. The next evolution is who can do it & produce?

7 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

And will cost more in both salary and term.  Do we want another one of those?

I don't want either.

Gaunce doesn't have the speed to play a great D game and generate offence, so he sticks to D and it keeps him in the league.   He is very smart, plays great positionally and does a lot of the small things that go un-noticed like pics and rub outs.  This is a team with very few forwards who can play a defensive role well, his value is higher to me than someone who just provides toughness but doesn't generate offence or play solid D and we have a lot of people who try to justify their presence.

As far as the actual subject of the topic sounds good, free prospect at a position we don't have good depth at.  Team toughness isn't just one 6'5" guy who doesn't play the game well, it is up and down the lineup.  He potentially adds some of that up the lineup and a team concept and he adds that up the lineup and does it with some skill.  Seems to me that was Benning's mantra at the last draft.  Whether or not his skills will translate into the NHL is a crap shoot as we have seen with a tonne of older European prospects.  

Archived