The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

6 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

I didn't think we could get Hughes either but he was in my top 2...I think Dobson may be the next best D.

I agree, Dobson is going to have a great career, the Islanders got lucky landing Wahlstrom and Dobson. EDM could've had Dobson, but they're too impatient and went with the D who has the best chance of playing next year. I'm sure Bouchard will be in the Oilers lineup next season. Hope Hughes makes it next season, but he is pretty light. Then again, he played against men at the Worlds, and did well.  

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Qwags said:

If anyone had any doubts about Hughes, they should evaporate when you look at Benning's reaction.

The draft is Christmas to him, and Hughes was the equivalent of a Nintendo 64.

More like a package of new hair dye in his stocking!

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Hughes can get the 9 game tryout to start the season and it will be clear after that if he needs to spend time in Utica, and who knows that may even be apparent in camp. But either way I think we'll be hearing about a signing sooner than later. 

I'll quote one of my early posts in this thread:

On 6/22/2018 at 9:21 PM, elvis15 said:

It doesn't work like that - particularly for college players. If he wants to go back for another year of NCAA hockey then he misses preseason altogether and can't sign a contract to play in any games. Even the summer camp he'll have to pay his own way.

That said, if he decides to sign, he could get some NHL games, but they aren't going to risk losing another D to waivers or something similar just to let him play a few NHL games. The 9 game rule means nothing if he's signed a contract though as he wouldn't be going back to junior to have his contract slide. It would be in effect in the NHL or the AHL.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

That's probably our D. this year...but Joulevi could still push MDZ to the bench or trade block....this what I want to see

Baer / Bo / Boeser

Dahlen / EP / Virtanen or Goldy

Granlund / Sutter / Goldy or Jake

Gaunce / Gaudette / MacEwen or Eriksson

Edler / Stecher

Hughes / Tanev

Joulevi / Gudbranson

That lineup would have the puck or be hounding to get it all over the ice....

I don't think juolevi is ready yet I really think he's gonna start the year in Utica but we will see soon!

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Hugor Hill said:

So if he does sign with us and forgo college the most realistic outcome would be to send him to Utica for occasional call ups?

If he signs a contract it's AHL or NHL. It's unlikely we give him games to start the year just as an experience thing as we have plenty of D as is and they all require waivers. Of course, if he earns it then they'll find a spot for him.

Edited by elvis15
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

I wouldn't trade Hughes for William Nylander.  Probably not Marner either.

Not really related but Nylander is good friends with both Quinn and Luke.  Nylander stayed with the Hughes family for a few months when he came over and played with the Marlies in 14-15.  Luke said Nylander became a good friend and he really looks up to him.  it's funny how it works because Backstrom and Nylander are also really good friends because Backstrom lived with the Nylanders for a year when he first came over to washington.  William was only 13-14 at that time but they grew a strong friendship.  Strange how that works.  

Now on topic, Hughes is off limits,  his ceiling is so high it would take a massive overpayment to even consider moving him.  I wouldn't consider moving him for neither Nylander or Marner

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, J-23 said:

That PP is going to dominate the league.

Yes, our PP is starting to really have amazing potential, even moreso once we get net-front Gadjovich in the lineup.  Only thing lacking really is the booming point shot threat.  The way Juolevi and Hughes can tape-to-tape the puck around, even if they play off them they can't cover everyone.

10 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Hughes can get the 9 game tryout to start the season and it will be clear after that if he needs to spend time in Utica, and who knows that may even be apparent in camp. But either way I think we'll be hearing about a signing sooner than later. 

The nine game mark only applies to players heading back to the CHL.  If Hughes turns pro,he will either be a Canuck or Comet next year.  

This isn’t a bad option. 

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

I'll quote one of my early posts in this thread:

ahh ok. thanks for the clarification on the slide.

I'd prefer to see him get a chance at making the team even if it means a contract year in Utica. 

1 minute ago, CANUCK-EXPRESS said:

Benning's reaction when Detroit took Zadina

Also does Brackett say "lucky for us he fell" ????????

d3kJ14l.gif

I think Brakett says, “Jim, we’re about to pick, and your hair dye is running”.  :towel:

As I just posted on another tread, I just don't see how Hughes isn't on the team.

Regardless of everything else, Jim is over the moon with this pick and wants to show off his shiny new toy, and he knows he will excite the fans each and every night displaying his elite talent and speed.  Because of this I now see OJ starting in Utica [especially with his injury setback], which will leave some time to sort things out with trades and injuries.

What are they going to say to Hughes, you need another year or two to bulk up and grow a few inches?

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Darius71 said:

Found this circulating on HF....the table's reaction when they realized Zadina and Hughes were still on the board prior to the Detroit pick

JB's reaction is like when you see money at your feet on the sidewalk and you are looking around to see if anyone else is looking lol

d3kJ14l.gif

I liked how you could see Weisbrod mouthing "Quinn Hughes" as Benning was making the selection.

If there's one thing Weisbrod knows it's college players. No doubt he was a big proponent of taking Hughes.

15 minutes ago, CANUCK-EXPRESS said:

Benning's reaction when Detroit took Zadina

Also does Brackett say "lucky for us he fell" ????????

d3kJ14l.gif

This was after pick 5 when ARZ took Hayton..... so they knew they had Hughes or Zadina and likely thought DET takes Zadina....

Edited by WHL rocks

3 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

This was after pick 5 when ARZ took Hayton..... so they knew they had Hughes or Zadina and likely thought DET takes Zadina....

Benning is thinking "I see you back there Kenny! Stop trying to sneak a peek at my list!"

• Haha 3