The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What ufa's should we go after?

smithers joe

44 minutes ago, Lui's Knob said:

You can believe that they'll follow the same trend of signing B-C class plugs on 2-3 year contracts like Del Zotto/Gagner last year as the youth movement graduates from Utica with a couple of 1 year vet contracts (ex. Vanek). In fact if they've been consistent in their media communication (which most times they're not), they have been consistent that they're not making a huge splash. With a weak UFA year, that's a good thing. Best to make a huge splash in a mega UFA year in 2019 (and the draft being held in the city) to start rounding out a wildcard playoff run.

Looking at the crop expect interest in the B class tier of UFA free-agents in the 24-30 age range:

- Denis Seidenberg (Boston ties with Benning - 1 year deal)

- Chris Stewart (size/bottom 6 depth)

- Pat Maroon (ties with Chia and Benning; likely sticks with Western Canada or California)

- David Perron (top 6 winger/PP)

- Jordan Nolan (size/bottom 6 and AHL depth)

- Matt Calvert (top 9...if someone is shipped out on the current roster)

- Brandon Manning (replaces Biega as 6/7th d-man)

- Christian Folin (rumored interest from Canucks as a UFA before)

- Andrej Sustr (top 4 dman...poor man's Tyler Myers which Benning has ties to)

- Calvin DeHaan (top 4 dman...especially if Hughes/Juolevi are not ready)

- Matt O'Connor - goalie depth/tryout (pushing for backup role)

- Shane Prince (Utica depth/call-up)

- Rocco Grimaldi (dropped off from Panthers...Canucks take a show me flyer on him?)

- Tyler Wotherspoon (ties to Weisbrod? AHL depth/callup?)

- Keenan Kanzig (ties to Weisbrod? AHL depth/callup?)

- Matthew Peca (interesting stats...a Center and only 25....)

I think there will be your Euro signing (SHL/KHL) and a deal will be made to solidify the top six (Zucker? S Reinhart? Skinner?) - but it'll be another ugly year without the Sedins puck possession/minute eating in the top 6. 

pass - on the entire random lot.

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Quote from Botch in today's Province:

"The Canucks are already loaded with left-shot defencemen, but other than Alex Edler and Quinn Hughes, none of them are very good."

I guess he isn't aware of Juolevi.

Botchford now thinks hes a scout .... geezus ....:rolleyes:

Kypreos speculated that if Toronto gets Tavares, they would trade Nylander to get Tanev. Obviously the Canucks would have to add.

A poster on HF Leafs says "Nylander for Tanev + Hughes?"

Man o man....those Toronto fans just keep on giving lmao!!!

3 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Quote from Botch in today's Province:

"The Canucks are already loaded with left-shot defencemen, but other than Alex Edler and Quinn Hughes, none of them are very good."

I guess he isn't aware of Juolevi.

Or is aware that he may not be anything better than a 6th/7th d-man.

31 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Kypreos speculated that if Toronto gets Tavares, they would trade Nylander to get Tanev. Obviously the Canucks would have to add.

As if, our site doesn’t have its share ridiculous trade offerings!

Ballard, Raymond and a 1st is a punch line here for good reason. 

29 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

That seems very much like what I see in our armchair GM'ing. Only it would be like: Nylnader + 2019 1st for Tanev + Gaunce + Hutton + 2019 5th. :lol:

16 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

As if, our site doesn’t have its share ridiculous trade offerings!

Ballard, Raymond and a 1st is a punch line here for good reason. 

It like none of them saw how $&!#ty Hamonic was in the West. Also Gudbranson was a #1 guy and a captain in the east. I like the guy, but I wouldn’t say he’s a #1 guy here.

1 hour ago, appleboy said:

Rumor has Beagle being signed for 3 years at 2.5 per.^_^

At his age (turning 33 in October) the dollar number and the term are on the high side. But I would be okay with this trade. The Canucks need some toughness and, as they have not yet signed Archie, Beagle would be a big help. And, while 2.5 is a bit high, it is not a big number and with the cap situation being what it is, it is not likely to be a problem over the term of the contract. 

The Canucks have to add toughness just to reduce the incentives for other teams to take liberties with guys like Boeser and Petterrson. Archie would fine in that role but, if not him, it has to be someone and Beagle would fill that role well (and is of course a better player than Archie). I would actually be happy to have both.

That signing would have interesting implications for Gaudette. Beagle would likely be 4C, which I think is where Gaudette is currently pencilled in. Maybe Gaudette starts in Utica or maybe he gets a chance to center a scoring second line with Pettersson on the wing. No doubt it depends on how Gaudette does in camp and pre-season.

16 hours ago, JamesB said:

At his age (turning 33 in October) the dollar number and the term are on the high side. But I would be okay with this trade. The Canucks need some toughness and, as they have not yet signed Archie, Beagle would be a big help. And, while 2.5 is a bit high, it is not a big number and with the cap situation being what it is, it is not likely to be a problem over the term of the contract. 

The Canucks have to add toughness just to reduce the incentives for other teams to take liberties with guys like Boeser and Petterrson. Archie would fine in that role but, if not him, it has to be someone and Beagle would fill that role well (and is of course a better player than Archie). I would actually be happy to have both.

That signing would have interesting implications for Gaudette. Beagle would likely be 4C, which I think is where Gaudette is currently pencilled in. Maybe Gaudette starts in Utica or maybe he gets a chance to center a scoring second line with Pettersson on the wing. No doubt it depends on how Gaudette does in camp and pre-season.

I agree with the adding toughness i dont think Beagle is the guy. Rousell is 5 years younger adds skating ability and some scoring and can create some space a'la Torres.

Man I miss Raffi

18 hours ago, JamesB said:

The 3rd year could be a lock out year. They could very well front load it. Big signing bonuses and so on. 

At least we are not looking at 6 X 6. :rolleyes:

Management is looking for veteran leadership and grit. Let's call it push back. If they dump 6 to 7 mil on a couple of players , even if they pay a premium they will not be more then 3 year deals. Make sure there isn't any ntc's involved and sign character players who could be moved if need be. 

- Can't believe there are posts in here suggesting we should bring back Sbisa... completely absurd lol.

- De Haan would be a great signing as a 2nd pairing LD. Big upgrade on MDZ, Hutton and Pouliot and would be a nice partner for Stecher if Green wanted to keep Edler - Tanev as the shutdown pair. Use MDZ - Gudbranson as the 3rd pair and shelter them hard.

- Sign one of Beagle/Schaller, don't need both and keep the term under 3 years.

- Sign Roussel but keep the money and term under 3, as well.

Do what you can to make the locker-room / environment stronger over the next couple years while we struggle but for the love of god don't do anything that'll hurt us 3, 4, 5 years down the road like the Eriksson contract.

There are rumors out there that Beagle will get 4 years at 3 mil. Dear God. They missed out on using cap space for Mason so they have decided to throw the money into the streets. I feel a bunch of LE type deals coming. 4 for Rousel at 2.5.

Hey dumb *** why not try using cap space to acquire assets. Benning needs to be restricted to drafting.  Linden needs to put a freeze on trades and signings.

7 hours ago, kanucks25 said:

- Can't believe there are posts in here suggesting we should bring back Sbisa... completely absurd lol.

- De Haan would be a great signing as a 2nd pairing LD. Big upgrade on MDZ, Hutton and Pouliot and would be a nice partner for Stecher if Green wanted to keep Edler - Tanev as the shutdown pair. Use MDZ - Gudbranson as the 3rd pair and shelter them hard.

- Sign one of Beagle/Schaller, don't need both and keep the term under 3 years.

- Sign Roussel but keep the money and term under 3, as well.

Do what you can to make the locker-room / environment stronger over the next couple years while we struggle but for the love of god don't do anything that'll hurt us 3, 4, 5 years down the road like the Eriksson contract.

We need guys to leave open for the next round of expansion... ha ha.  Sbisa would have been one of our better defenseman last year, but yeah I get where your coming from, we have a glut of bottom pairing and fringe guys and two prospects waiting in the wings, why jam it up further?

Archived