Sign in to follow this  
Qwags

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

10 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

Another thought might be to see if we can trade up to #7 or #8  (we could pick a different caliber of player in this range)

4 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

I think there is zero chance that both fall to + 10. I expect that both are gone at #5. Colorado and L.A.  might be the lucky teams getting real good centre in Dach & Cozens.

I think there's a pretty good chance we could either move up a couple spots or one of Dach, Boldy, Krebs, Zegras, Turcotte, Cozens etc falls/is still available. (Not to mention Soderstrom, Broberg, Newhook, Harley etc) 

14 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

What gives me some hope, is last year, at #10, #11 and #12, the picks ended up being Bouchard, Wahlstrom and Dobson. Those are some pretty good players in that range. Maybe a player like Cozens or Krebs or Dach fall to us at #10. I'm hoping that teams ahead of us take some chances. Maybe one team grabs Broberg, maybe another snags Caufield, and then another takes Kaliyev.

Hughes

Kakko

Podkolzin - KHL?

Turcotte

Byram - best D in the draft

Cozens

Caufield - best scorer in the draft

Broberg - could play in 2019/20

Kaliyev - best shot in the draft

VAN - Dach, Krebs, Zegras, Boldy, Newhook, Soderstrom

Suddenly, there are some great options.

Of that list, I'd gladly take Dobson but funnily enough, there's guys taken mid-teens I'd prefer over the other two (Farabee and Smith the most obvious). It will be interesting to see if Benning and Brackett have another Pettersson-eqsue 'off the board' pick up their sleeves for a guy ranked closer to mid-teens who out plays his pre-draft scouting report ::D

Edited by aGENT

Someone also mentioned Lavoie earlier, and I find that intriguing. He's a big man at 6'4", almost 200 (NHL body), he's a good skater, has a boom of a shot, protects the puck well. He scored 32 goals in 62 games and was a +36 last year. He also managed 20 points in 10 playoff games. He's ranked in the early 20s I believe, but the rankings don't mean a whole lot. Every site seems to have a different opinion.

3 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Someone also mentioned Lavoie earlier, and I find that intriguing. He's a big man at 6'4", almost 200 (NHL body), he's a good skater, has a boom of a shot, protects the puck well. He scored 32 goals in 62 games and was a +36 last year. He also managed 20 points in 10 playoff games. He's ranked in the early 20s I believe, but the rankings don't mean a whole lot. Every site seems to have a different opinion.

He is one of the oldest in this draft class since he only missed last year's cut off by 10 days. 

Skinner - Pettersson - Boeser

Pearson - Horvat - Newhook

(this looked good to me, but then I realized that Benning will probably be going out and getting a winger (UFA) for Bo this coming season)

Zegras/Boldy - Pettersson - Boeser

Pearson - Horvat - Donskoi

(I think Benning signs a decent winger, but doesn't over-spend on the high priced guys)

Edited by NUCKER67
  • Like 1

Let's assume that Hughes, Byram, Kakko, Dach, Cozens are likely off the table.  That leaves 1 of Podkolzin, Turcotte, Krebs, Zegras, Soderstrom, Boldy, Caufield, Broberg Kalyiev.  There is going to be a ton of variance on the order of 6-10 depending on who you ask.  We may very well end up with JB's first or second choice.  Based on last year we would have had our choice of Wahlstrom, Dobson, Bouchard.  All of those guys were expected to be gone by 10.  

We will get a very good player at 10.  I also think this pushes them to be more active through UFA and the trade market.

given track record, philosophy and draft position, I bet benning goes to europe or ushl/college. at 10, the player you're likely to get is going to be in that range of not quite ready for the nhl, but good enough that you don't want to be restricted by the chl/ahl agreement. 

unless a bigger name drops, given the weight benning puts on goal scoring, I bet he goes with caufield. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, tas said:

given track record, philosophy and draft position, I bet benning goes to europe or ushl/college. at 10, the player you're likely to get is going to be in that range of not quite ready for the nhl, but good enough that you don't want to be restricted by the chl/ahl agreement. 

unless a bigger name drops, given the weight benning puts on goal scoring, I bet he goes with caufield. 

I'd wager Boldy, Zegras or Soderstrom under that theory.

Be pretty funny if we draft Knight and move Demko :ph34r::lol:

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, BCNate said:

I also think this pushes them to be more active through UFA and the trade market.

I agree. I think Benning was really disappointed in the lottery, which would've changed the organization. Now, he'll need to be creative, get rid of some contracts, and maybe he'll want to upgrade the roster by free agency. They can't go into next season with the same team. And it's doubtful our #10 pick starts next season. I am hoping that they bring in a solid top player for Bo's line. He's had to play with scraps basically, many different line combinations, he never complains and still finds a way to produce. I hope they reward Bo with a good line mate. 

Eberle would be pricey, but good and fun to watch. 

As far as the D, I think Benning signs 1 decent Dman (but not a top player), but they'll also re-sign Edler and Schenn and maybe Juolevi makes the jump. Might re-sign Rafferty too. Kind of hoping Tanev gets traded. It's so disheartening every year watching him go down with a long term injury.

Edler - Stralman

Hutton - Stecher

Hughes - Schenn

Juolevi - Rafferty

A lot still TBD before I start thinking about making a list of targets for #10, but at the moment, I’m actually leaning toward trying to trade the #10 and move down a few spots, add a pick, and then maybe combine that pick with our #40 to grab another late first. Draft twice in the back half of the first round, where I think there’s still really good value this year, and will likely yield better results than we’d see keeping 10 and 40.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

A lot still TBD before I start thinking about making a list of targets for #10, but at the moment, I’m actually leaning toward trying to trade the #10 and move down a few spots, add a pick, and then maybe combine that pick with our #40 to grab another late first. Draft twice in the back half of the first round, where I think there’s still really good value this year, and will likely yield better results than we’d see keeping 10 and 40.

Not a bad idea. If Benning can get a good player at #10, then I'm sure he could get a good player at #15, or wherever. It sure would be nice to add an extra late 1st or an extra high 2nd. At, say, #15, the Canucks could still draft Seider or Lavoie.  

Oilers are likely looking to shed cap in a bad way. I wonder if they would consider moving that pick for some cap freedom. 

Or what if they offered us a swap. Something like there 8th + puljujarvi + lucic (50% retianed) for sutter + 10th. 

• Hydration 1

3 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Oilers are likely looking to shed cap in a bad way. I wonder if they would consider moving that pick for some cap freedom. 

Or what if they offered us a swap. Something like there 8th + puljujarvi + lucic (50% retianed) for sutter + 10th. 

Far more feasible than the Demko + 10th for 1st or 2nd we've been seeing

12 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Sutter has a NTC, but other than that JB would hopefully at least consider something like this I'm sure. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I'd do it even without the retention on lucic.

22 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Far more feasible than the Demko + 10th for 1st or 2nd we've been seeing

Was thinking our 10th plus l.a boy demko to l.a and their 5th.  Demko is literally the first l.a born goalie from l.a to make it to the nhl.  Would be something for them.

5 minutes ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

Was thinking our 10th plus l.a boy demko to l.a and their 5th.  Demko is literally the first l.a born goalie from l.a to make it to the nhl.  Would be something for them.

Is it worth it though? Would a Cozens or Dach really be that much better than Boldy or Soderstrom?