The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

16 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

A lot still TBD before I start thinking about making a list of targets for #10, but at the moment, I’m actually leaning toward trying to trade the #10 and move down a few spots, add a pick, and then maybe combine that pick with our #40 to grab another late first. Draft twice in the back half of the first round, where I think there’s still really good value this year, and will likely yield better results than we’d see keeping 10 and 40.

Not a bad idea. If Benning can get a good player at #10, then I'm sure he could get a good player at #15, or wherever. It sure would be nice to add an extra late 1st or an extra high 2nd. At, say, #15, the Canucks could still draft Seider or Lavoie.  

3 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Oilers are likely looking to shed cap in a bad way. I wonder if they would consider moving that pick for some cap freedom. 

Or what if they offered us a swap. Something like there 8th + puljujarvi + lucic (50% retianed) for sutter + 10th. 

Far more feasible than the Demko + 10th for 1st or 2nd we've been seeing

12 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Oilers are likely looking to shed cap in a bad way. I wonder if they would consider moving that pick for some cap freedom. 

Or what if they offered us a swap. Something like there 8th + puljujarvi + lucic (50% retianed) for sutter + 10th. 

Sutter has a NTC, but other than that JB would hopefully at least consider something like this I'm sure. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I'd do it even without the retention on lucic.

5 minutes ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

Was thinking our 10th plus l.a boy demko to l.a and their 5th.  Demko is literally the first l.a born goalie from l.a to make it to the nhl.  Would be something for them.

Is it worth it though? Would a Cozens or Dach really be that much better than Boldy or Soderstrom?

11 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Sutter has a NTC, but other than that JB would hopefully at least consider something like this I'm sure. 

He’s from red deer, his entire family is within a few hours of there. So I’m assuming he’d waive. Oilers could really use a shut down center like him in there line up and free up the space. That comes at the cost of puljujarvi and dropping down a few spots. 

8 minutes ago, tas said:

I'd do it even without the retention on lucic.

Yeah I’d consider it but. Lucic at 3 million playing a bottom 6 role protecting our smaller youth is much more applicable with our elc raises coming up. I’d consider retaining 50% on sutter making it even more beneficial to the oilers essentially dumping 4 million of dead space into filling a needed hole. 

17 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

He’s from red deer, his entire family is within a few hours of there. So I’m assuming he’d waive. Oilers could really use a shut down center like him in there line up and free up the space. That comes at the cost of puljujarvi and dropping down a few spots. 

Yeah I’d consider it but. Lucic at 3 million playing a bottom 6 role protecting our smaller youth is much more applicable with our elc raises coming up. I’d consider retaining 50% on sutter making it even more beneficial to the oilers essentially dumping 4 million of dead space into filling a needed hole. 

Im for this IF LE is off the books

21 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I'd have them retain less/not at all on lucic rather than both teams retaining, strictly in the name of keeping open the option of retaining in a different deal down the road. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

Was thinking our 10th plus l.a boy demko to l.a and their 5th.  Demko is literally the first l.a born goalie from l.a to make it to the nhl.  Would be something for them.

Isn't he from San Diego?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, tas said:

given track record, philosophy and draft position, I bet benning goes to europe or ushl/college. at 10, the player you're likely to get is going to be in that range of not quite ready for the nhl, but good enough that you don't want to be restricted by the chl/ahl agreement. 

unless a bigger name drops, given the weight benning puts on goal scoring, I bet he goes with caufield. 

That's what I was thinking too. IIRC but I did some research on Matthew Boldy and he was at the same school (Dexter) as our very own Jack Rathbone.

I'm expecting one of Turcotte (if he falls), Boldy, Zegras, or Soderstrom as our pick. Possibly Caufield if Bennning and Brackett believe he can realistically reach his upside.

If Boldy is really comparable to Mark Stone, then a line of Boldy - Pettersson - Boeser would be dynamite.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

Thinking logically it seems like the Boldy, Soderstrom and Brink would be frontrunners among our management group at our position. I've warmed up to both Soderstrom and Brink recently. 

If we acquired another 1st rounder and landed any one of Heinola, Seider, Brink, Kaliyev, Kokkonen, Harley, Suzuki, York, McMicheal or Newhook we absolutely should. Start with our 2nd rounder and add from there, maybe adding in Goldobin or taking back a cap dump to get it done.