The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

43 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'm not saying he's not skilled, just that he's not likely to be able to do that against the Benn's and Kopitar's etc in the NHL and Van already have two guys small in stature on the backend.........to me, that's the limit

Nothing is ever set in stone. For all we know Stetcher could be traded by the time Soderstrom would make the NHL. Don’t not take the best player available because you think in 3-5 years you might not need that player. Needs change and the team could look different. This is all hypothetical that Soderstrom is even the BPA at our pick.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Brynas/status/1098942275256795136?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1098942275256795136&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fs9e.github.io%2Fiframe%2F2%2Ftwitter.min.html%231098942275256795136

link to some sweet dekes that Soderstrom can do. The kind of offensive potential you want to see from a top 10 pick. Sure Broberg is bigger but I don’t think he has the same kind of offensive production potential.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Nothing is ever set in stone. For all we know Stetcher could be traded by the time Soderstrom would make the NHL. Don’t not take the best player available because you think in 3-5 years you might not need that player. Needs change and the team could look different. This is all hypothetical that Soderstrom is even the BPA at our pick.

True enough.  Still, I'd always opt for a fwd in the first round unless a dman is pretty clearcut superstar material, or is a significantly better fit at that spot.

Edited by stawns

21 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Well for 1 we were one of the teams he listed as giving the OK to trade to at the deadline...

That is a fact? Was he doing that so that he couldnt get dealt by listing teams not likely to make the playoffs so Columbus could get assets for him?

Also, if we bank up the Brinks truck for Artem, could we not give Bo that elite level winger instead of having all our eggs in one basket? Or slot Brock back with Bo and Artem with Pistol Pete?

12 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

That is a fact? Was he doing that so that he couldnt get dealt by listing teams not likely to make the playoffs so Columbus could get assets for him?

Also, if we bank up the Brinks truck for Artem, could we not give Bo that elite level winger instead of having all our eggs in one basket? Or slot Brock back with Bo and Artem with Pistol Pete?

Bob McKenzie reported Vancouver and Toronto as only Canadian cities he gave the OK to. Very reliable source in Bob McKenzie. 

As for Panarin here it allows us to load up when needed any combination of Panarin/Boeser/Pettersson/Horvat. 

As for what line he would fit on, until we sign and see him in training camp/pre season it's mostly baseless speculation. He fits somewhere in our top 6 probably on line 1, the combination would be up in the air. Could be any mix of Pettersson/Bo/Boeser/Pearson/Baertschi. 

36 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Bob McKenzie reported Vancouver and Toronto as only Canadian cities he gave the OK to. Very reliable source in Bob McKenzie. 

As for Panarin here it allows us to load up when needed any combination of Panarin/Boeser/Pettersson/Horvat. 

As for what line he would fit on, until we sign and see him in training camp/pre season it's mostly baseless speculation. He fits somewhere in our top 6 probably on line 1, the combination would be up in the air. Could be any mix of Pettersson/Bo/Boeser/Pearson/Baertschi. 

Pan Petey Virt

Baer Bo Boes

That's how I'd set it up.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Victor Soderstrom Scouting Report: 2019 NHL Draft #12

By
 Ben Kerr
 - 
April 11, 2019

Skating

Soderstrom is an elite skater which allows him to play an effective two-way game. His speed is exceptional, in both directions. He gets up to speed quickly, with excellent acceleration and a great first step. He also has very good edgework and agility, allowing him to quickly change directions. With good pivots, he transitions from offence to defence and vice-versa quickly. This also allows him to cover huge areas of ice and makes him tough to beat in one-on-one situations. Soderstrom is strong on his skates allowing him to win battles on the boards and in front of the net at the junior level. However, he is a bit undersized and this becomes more apparent when he plays against men. His low centre of gravity can help going forward, provided he adds more muscle to his frame.

Offensive Game

Soderstrom has good vision and passing skills, whether it is starting the rush or quarterbacking the play at the point. He can also make the long breakaway pass in transition. His wrist shot features a quick release but he needs to be more accurate and add power. While he has improved his slap shot over the last year, there is still more work to do. The lack of power in his shot is the biggest limiting factor to his offensive game right now. Soderstrom can handle the puck, skating it out of danger or rushing through the neutral zone.

Soderstrom is a very intelligent player. He reads the play extremely well, whether that be playing at the point on the power play or in leading the rush. His ability to anticipate and read the movements of his teammates and opponents allows him to be creative and create scoring chances.

Defensive Game

Soderstrom is also very good defensively, with a quick stick. He is tough to beat in one-on-one situations and forces opponents to the outside. His positioning is very good as he reads the play well and keeps himself between his opponent and the net. Soderstrom is strong on his skates and willing to play a physical game but is not a big hitter. That said, he battles hard along the boards and in front of the net. This is another area where he will need to get stronger to play this style going forward. He is more comfortable using his stick to poke check an opponent and steal the puck away. He also cuts off passing lanes. Soderstrom uses his skating ability and smarts to maintain good gap control.

Projection and Comparison

Soderstrom projects to be a solid all-around defenceman. There are some size concerns but with the way the NHL is going in recent years, they should not limit his potential. His elite skating and high IQ allows him to compensate for that lack of size. Continued improvement on his slap shot will allow him to become a dynamic threat on the power play. Soderstrom’s game is reminiscent of Hampus Lindholm but this is a style comparison only and not one based on skill or ability.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

I just don't see the wisdom of adding the kind of salary that Panarin would demand with Petey, Boeser and Hughes still on entry level contracts.  This is the core.  Are they going to pay Panarin more than their core players?

Benning has said that he's not interested in signing the sort of player who would demand $11M aav (Karlsson).  He would rather go for a good player at a lesser cap hit.  I would say that Panarin's salary, though not as high, would have a similar impact cap wise

Edited by Crabcakes
  • Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, stawns said:

I don't think Panarin comes to Van, but I certainly wouldn't be upset to have a legitimate star playing along side Petey or Bo

Would you consider one of; Connolly, Dzingle or Ferland as being suitable for top six deployment? They are all UFA's coming off of pretty good years and JB might be able to sign one of them at a decent price. All were making approx 1.5 to 1.8 mil/yr on their last contracts but will be looking for a decent bump in salary this year

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Would you consider one of; Connolly, Dzingle or Ferland as being suitable for top six deployment? They are all UFA's coming off of pretty good years and JB might be able to sign one of them at a decent price. All were making approx 1.5 to 1.8 mil/yr on their last contracts but will be looking for a decent bump in salary this year

I've been on the Ferland bus all along.  He's exactly what we all hoped Big Kass was going to be, and a big missing element on the team.  A slightly unpredictable, little bit crazy, tough as nails guy who can score 20 and protect Petey 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, stawns said:

Not many teams can absorb the cap hit, even fewer have an up and coming superstar cman to play with.  I don't think he is, but it's not remotely impossible that he signs on Van

I think it is more likely that EK signs with us  -  has good chemistry with Edler, and really took a shining to Petey at the allstar game

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Googlie said:

I think it is more likely that EK signs with us  -  has good chemistry with Edler, and really took a shining to Petey at the allstar game

That's certainly a possibility.  I'm not so keen on that one, but still would be pretty awesome to have him in blue and green

23 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

I just don't see the wisdom of adding the kind of salary that Panarin would demand with Petey, Boeser and Hughes still on entry level contracts.  This is the core.  Are they going to pay Panarin more than their core players?

Benning has said that he's not interested in signing the sort of player who would demand $11M aav (Karlsson).  He would rather go for a good player at a lesser cap hit.  I would say that Panarin's salary, though not as high, would have a similar impact cap wise

FA likes cannolis #confirmed Brett Connolly will be signed!

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, stawns said:

He also has an obligation to make the absolute most of those young stars' potential as he can and that means making sure they are playing with highly skilled players.

I don't think Panarin comes to Van, but I certainly wouldn't be upset to have a legitimate star playing along side Petey or Bo

I'm all aboard the Panarin train. I wasn't sure initially if we should try to make the splash but here is why I think it is a trade that will work out for us in the end. Our young core won't be signing their contracts for another 2 years and the cap will definitely go up significantly once Seattle comes into the league. You can pay him $11M for 6-7 years and as long as he doesn't have too steep of a drop off his contract will be manageable in those final years.  He's been remarkably consistent and still relatively young at 27. At 7 years he will only be 33 so I don't expect too much of a decline. He will instantly complete our top line and we can then focus on filling out our 2nd and 3rd lines.

17 minutes ago, TGokou said:

I'm all aboard the Panarin train. I wasn't sure initially if we should try to make the splash but here is why I think it is a trade that will work out for us in the end. Our young core won't be signing their contracts for another 2 years and the cap will definitely go up significantly once Seattle comes into the league. You can pay him $11M for 6-7 years and as long as he doesn't have too steep of a drop off his contract will be manageable in those final years.  He's been remarkably consistent and still relatively young at 27. At 7 years he will only be 33 so I don't expect too much of a decline. He will instantly complete our top line and we can then focus on filling out our 2nd and 3rd lines.

Well, I think they're going to get Boeser at a reasonable hit, and we still don't know where Petey and Hughes are going to go, their next contracts might be reasonable too, making it easier to absorb a UFA cap hit